The Student Room Group

Do you worry about the future?

Does the UK create enough jobs for the ever increasing population?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by matt1001

The UK has around 700,000 job vacancies at any one time and maintains this even though unemployment is falling and the claimant count is the lowest since 1974.

You may worry about the type of job but the UK labour market is actually one of the most dynamic in the world.

Automation will destroy employment in the future so the current model of income will need to change drastically

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unemployment isn't much of a problem anymore, it's about the only thing the Tories have improved. I worry about everything else. Healthcare, education, welfare, the whole ****ing country is falling to bits. I'll be leaving as soon as I've finished uni.
Original post by Rakas21
The UK has around 700,000 job vacancies at any one time and maintains this even though unemployment is falling and the claimant count is the lowest since 1974.

You may worry about the type of job but the UK labour market is actually one of the most dynamic in the world.

That figure is meaningless alone.
What types of jobs? Zero hour contracts? Short term jobs? Part time jobs? Low paid jobs?

Quite honestly I do worry, that we are turning into 'agency Britain' where low paid, insecure, short term contracts become the norm. Where you can get fired at the drop of the hat, only now you won't get any compensation.
Where we continue to eat away at unions so that workers have no collective body to stick up for themselves.
Reply 5
Original post by Bornblue
What types of jobs? Zero hour contracts? Short term jobs? Part time jobs? Low paid jobs?

Quite honestly I do worry, that we are turning into 'agency Britain' where low paid, insecure, short term contracts become the norm. Where you can get fired at the drop of the hat, only now you won't get any compensation.
Where we continue to eat away at unions so that workers have no collective body to stick up for themselves.

False. Contract termination laws state that an employer must provide either the notice period stated in your contract, or the statutory minimum notice period (whichever is longer).
Original post by Arkasia
False. Contract termination laws state that an employer must provide either the notice period stated in your contract, or the statutory minimum notice period (whichever is longer).

If you have a zero-hour contract, your contract can be terminated effectively by giving you no more hours.
Reply 7

The majority are full time and wages are slowly rising which suggests a good proportion are well paid. Probably about 30-40% are part time or low paid.

There's a simple solution to that.. don't get a job with a zero hours contract.
Reply 8
If you have a zero-hour contract, your contract can be terminated effectively by giving you no more hours.

Zero-hour contracts are still subject to UK laws surrounding unfair dismissal, wrongful dismissal, and discrimination (employees on zero-hour contracts are given a minimum notice period of one week). Your employer cannot just dismiss you for no fair reason at all.
Original post by Rakas21
The majority are full time and wages are slowly rising which suggests a good proportion are well paid. Probably about 30-40% are part time or low paid.

There's a simple solution to that.. don't get a job with a zero hours contract.

Easier said then done when so many jobs are becoming zero-hour contracts.
Easier said then done when so many jobs are becoming zero-hour contracts.

I applied for many jobs after university including retail (in which i currently work), there's plenty of jobs which are not zero hours.
Original post by paul514
Automation will destroy employment in the future so the current model of income will need to change drastically

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the government realises this on the quiet and is moving towards some form of basic income. In the recent budget this new ISA where the government matches what you put in on a 25% ratio up to £4,000 of your deposits is just the start.

I do think people are duped into thinking we need more low skilled migrants because of our falling population when certainly in the medium term, it's suggests most low-skilled, repetitive jobs will be automated.
Original post by Harami Salami
I think the government realises this on the quiet and is moving towards some form of basic income. In the recent budget this new ISA where the government matches what you put in on a 25% ratio up to £4,000 of your deposits is just the start.

I do think people are duped into thinking we need more low skilled migrants because of our falling population when certainly in the medium term, it's suggests most low-skilled, repetitive jobs will be automated.

I agree, but how is that in the government's interest?
The future ultimately involves me dieing. That worries me.
Original post by BarryBeTrippin
I agree, but how is that in the government's interest?

I honestly just think the government is looking at the next 10 years and thinking they won't notice and let's be fair the vast majority don't.

The less people the better when you have a universal income scheme.

I personally don't think it will come for at least 10 years.

With regards to the lifetime isa it's dogshit you put 4K in a year and they will give you 1k only when you hit 60 so you have a minimum of 20 years of inflation meaning it's worthless.

If you take it for a house I l for over 450k you get no bonus and they scrapped the help to buy isa on the quiet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Rakas21
I applied for many jobs after university including retail (in which i currently work), there's plenty of jobs which are not zero hours.

This. The company I worked for actually tried zero hour contracts, it cuts both ways, those on them often refused the hours. The whole experiment was something of a failure. Better to have the stability of states hours.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arkasia
Zero-hour contracts are still subject to UK laws surrounding unfair dismissal, wrongful dismissal, and discrimination (employees on zero-hour contracts are given a minimum notice period of one week). Your employer cannot just dismiss you for no fair reason at all.
i think his point was that reducing your work hours to 0 and consequently paying you nothing was an action like a dismissal whether or not your contract has been formally terminated.

I guess you might be able to push for constructive dismissal afterwards but if you arent getting hours you are in effect, if not formally, no longer working at that organisation.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Aj12
This. The company I worked for actually tried zero hour contracts, it cuts both ways, those on them often refused the hours. The whole experiment was something of a failure. Better to have the stability of states hours.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd also add that i've actually worked 2 zero hour jobs before (one sports world and one at a clothing shop) and within 3 months i've more or less ended up choosing my own working pattern. Without wanting to sound too egotistical, i become damn good at whatever job i do very quickly and most employers are smart enough to see that and throw me whatever hours i like. The people that work retail and end up dead end ect.. or on few hours are not the brightest crayons in the box and would have probably not picked up too much had they been on a fixed hours contract.
Reply 18
Lord, no. For decades, people have been getting wealthier, have more disposable income, more leisure activities available to them, a vast expanse of luxury items to enjoy, increasing opportunities and better provision of the basics required to live comfortably. Barring a major war or something else, I see no reason this progress will not continue.
Reply 19

No dont worry bout future, im excited.

yes it does create enough jobs
Is this what your worried about UK enough jobs?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending