The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

History, Politics and Economics at UCL

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone!
I've received an offer from this course and invitation for the event in SSEES on next Wednesday the 9th. I'd like to know whether anyone is going as well?)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by dragon1853
Hi everyone!
I've received an offer from this course and invitation for the event in SSEES on next Wednesday the 9th. I'd like to know whether anyone is going as well?)

yep:smile:
Original post by Thetankman
yep:smile:

Happy to see you there) password 'Napoleon')
Original post by dragon1853
Happy to see you there) password 'Napoleon':wink:

Wow:smile:
Reply 64
i know it sounds stupid, but what are you guys going to wear tmr? I was planning to wear jeans but my friend told me to wear black skirt/ trouser :/ thanks x
Original post by Tiffyx
i know it sounds stupid, but what are you guys going to wear tmr? I was planning to wear jeans but my friend told me to wear black skirt/ trouser :/ thanks x

Well, I'm gonna wear dark skinny trousers and pullover) it does not have to be official style
Reply 66
Hi guys: you who went open day/event how was it? :smile:

Also maybe any of you have any idea about this:
Im doing the IB program and received and offer for this course. But I have quite small chances of making the offer conditions. I anticipate my results to be between 35-38 IB points with 38 as a condition in the standard offer... If I get 36 or 37 how big chances do I have of still being able to get into this program? As SSEES is easier to get into then normal UCL economics I heard that it's possibile to get in without all conditions of the offer fulfilled but find it hard to estimate my chances.
Original post by dardra
Hi guys: you who went open day/event how was it? :smile:

Also maybe any of you have any idea about this:
Im doing the IB program and received and offer for this course. But I have quite small chances of making the offer conditions. I anticipate my results to be between 35-38 IB points with 38 as a condition in the standard offer... If I get 36 or 37 how big chances do I have of still being able to get into this program? As SSEES is easier to get into then normal UCL economics I heard that it's possibile to get in without all conditions of the offer fulfilled but find it hard to estimate my chances.

I think that one advantage of the IB would be the idea of sitting relatively more exams. And so, I would say that there's a huge difference in between achieving AAB instead of AAA, as opposed to 36 out of 38. In short, it is likely that they would not care much and would instead care more about messing up their numbers with students coming in for the course. Unless the course gives out offers of the 'if the other accepted applicants don't get the grades, you can come instead' sort of offers.

And meh, guess my chances for an offer are far gone already. Haven't received a reply yet and there are already so many people who have (and that is only on this thread..).

I mean how the hell are 4As, a C (AS level) and predicted AAABBb not enough, with 5 months of work experience as an assistant economist (after moving to a bottom ranking school in the UK)?

Might I ask: how godly were your applications??
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi I just saw this thread and thought i'd introduce myself. I've recently got an offer from SSEES for History, Politics and Economics for 2016 entry.
Reply 69
Original post by Caius Filimon
I think that one advantage of the IB would be the idea of sitting relatively more exams. And so, I would say that there's a huge difference in between achieving AAB instead of AAA, as opposed to 36 out of 38. In short, it is likely that they would not care much and would instead care more about messing up their numbers with students coming in for the course. Unless the course gives out offers of the 'if the other accepted applicants don't get the grades, you can come instead' sort of offers.

And meh, guess my chances for an offer are far gone already. Haven't received a reply yet and there are already so many people who have (and that is only on this thread..).

I mean how the hell are 4As, a C (AS level) and predicted AAABBb not enough, with 5 months of work experience as an assistant economist (after moving to a bottom ranking school in the UK)?

Might I ask: how godly were your applications??

I feel your pain, got rejected with AAAA in AS, potentially because my school are very strict on predictions so I'm only predicted AAA. Tailored my PS for this course and am currently studying History (inc Russian History), Politics and Economics whilst writing an EPQ on Eastern Europe. Are you a British student? I feel like they didn't accept many locals.
Original post by poilkjmn
I feel your pain, got rejected with AAAA in AS, potentially because my school are very strict on predictions so I'm only predicted AAA. Tailored my PS for this course and am currently studying History (inc Russian History), Politics and Economics whilst writing an EPQ on Eastern Europe. Are you a British student? I feel like they didn't accept many locals.

Funnily enough I had gotten refused only hours after that comment of mine.

I have (sadly) moved to the UK one year ago into year 12 into a pitiful excuse for a 6th form from Romania. Lo and behold, the foreigner was the only one to achieve As in three subjects (Econ History Business) in the entire year.

I tailored my PS for PPE, but I still included history in it, with a focus on oriental philosophy and the Chinese economic and political history and heterodox economic theories.

And, honestly, at least in your case ( I suppose ) you were not lied to by your teachers about your predicted grades in some cases, and have the teachers bullied by your head of year to reduce their predicted grades in other cases.

Regardless, I shall simply try to redo my first year of university at Oxford or the sort, once I achieve a good % grade for the coming year at Birmingham/Sussex. For far too long I have been stuck in schools where almost NO ONE (bar a couple people) actually had an at least remote interest in academic subjects. I can't take the risk to suffer through that for the coming three years as well...

Might I ask where you have applied to, and for what?
Reply 71
Funnily enough I had gotten refused only hours after that comment of mine.

I have (sadly) moved to the UK one year ago into year 12 into a pitiful excuse for a 6th form from Romania. Lo and behold, the foreigner was the only one to achieve As in three subjects (Econ History Business) in the entire year.

I tailored my PS for PPE, but I still included history in it, with a focus on oriental philosophy and the Chinese economic and political history and heterodox economic theories.

And, honestly, at least in your case ( I suppose ) you were not lied to by your teachers about your predicted grades in some cases, and have the teachers bullied by your head of year to reduce their predicted grades in other cases.

Regardless, I shall simply try to redo my first year of university at Oxford or the sort, once I achieve a good % grade for the coming year at Birmingham/Sussex. For far too long I have been stuck in schools where almost NO ONE (bar a couple people) actually had an at least remote interest in academic subjects. I can't take the risk to suffer through that for the coming three years as well...

Might I ask where you have applied to, and for what?

I applied for International Relations at LSE, Bristol, Leeds and Kings and HPE at UCL. Leeds and Kings have given me offers, UCL and LSE rejected and still waiting for Bristol to get back to me. All of the early applicants in my school who applied to LSE got in with lower AS grades than I have so I'm annoyed that I didn't apply back in October. None of the courses I applied to asked for A*s so I think it would have helped to have had the predictions even though I didn't need them.
Original post by poilkjmn
I applied for International Relations at LSE, Bristol, Leeds and Kings and HPE at UCL. Leeds and Kings have given me offers, UCL and LSE rejected and still waiting for Bristol to get back to me. All of the early applicants in my school who applied to LSE got in with lower AS grades than I have so I'm annoyed that I didn't apply back in October. None of the courses I applied to asked for A*s so I think it would have helped to have had the predictions even though I didn't need them.

I would suspect that they got into courses which are in generally less demand, right? And congrats on your offers; they are definitely very good universities. I'm stuck at Birmingham, or on a course I don't really like at Nottingham... or Sussex, but that's a definite no-go since the offer holder's day.

But yeah, you're set if you go to either of the two. Their prestige is well established. I would think that Kings is the more prestigious of the two, so you might be leaning towards that.

Might I ask how your reference was? A teacher called me an A grade student at school repeatedly, predicting me a B after saying he would predict an A, and writing in the reference that I'm a C grade student in Geography.... But judging by the sort of offers your colleagues get, I'm sure your school is at least half decent though, so there are no such things happening there.

And that qualification you have taken that is based on autonomous research and the sort seems very interesting.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 73
I would suspect that they got into courses which are in generally less demand, right? And congrats on your offers; they are definitely very good universities. I'm stuck at Birmingham, or on a course I don't really like at Nottingham... or Sussex, but that's a definite no-go since the offer holder's day.

But yeah, you're set if you go to either of the two. Their prestige is well established. I would think that Kings is the more prestigious of the two, so you might be leaning towards that.

Might I ask how your reference was? A teacher called me an A grade student at school repeatedly, predicting me a B after saying he would predict an A, and writing in the reference that I'm a C grade student in Geography.... But judging by the sort of offers your colleagues get, I'm sure your school is at least half decent though, so there are no such things happening there.

And that qualification you have taken that is based on autonomous research and the sort seems very interesting.

No they didn't, they applied for the same courses as me. Birmingham isn't bad! A lot of people at my school are really keen to go there, so I'm sure it's quite nice. A lot of them want to go to Nottingham too but I think Birmingham is higher in the rankings unless you want to focus on economics. Yeah, I am planning to go to Kings unless I get all A*s and then I might take a gap year and reapply. I'm not actually sure how my reference was because I never got to see it. I wonder if that was part of the reason I got rejected :/ The person who wrote my reference wasn't the same as my friends who got into LSE, I didn't have the greatest teacher writing mine. Oh no that's awful, I wonder why he did that. You should complain to the school about it, I'm thinking about doing that over our strict prediction system. All the best with your future!
Reply 74
Has anyone else firmed this course?
i'm trying to pick between hpe at ucl and epais at warwick :/ really stuck on where to go
Reply 76
Original post by jessie98
i'm trying to pick between hpe at ucl and epais at warwick :/ really stuck on where to go

Both are great courses at great unis. I would do a bit more research into the courses themselves and see what one you prefer. Also whether you would rather study in London for 3 years or at a campus uni.
thanks, I have thought about it quite a bit. and i think i am gonna go for warwick, i definitely think the course there will suit me better because it is so much broader. I do love the idea of living in london but i think i want three years of the classic uni experience before i properly enter the big wide world
Reply 78
I currently study history, politics, economics and maths where I've been targeted A,A,A and B. I am keen to drop mathematics. Do you think this will be a massive detriment to applying? My GCSEs are a modest 1A*, 3As and 6Bs however, I am under the assumption that to the very least, I have somehow compensated my lack of good GCSE grades with a fair amount of extra-curricular activities that has a direct relation my subjects, including Russian economic history. Would you guys think that this application would suffice?
Hey guys, I'm applying for H, P and E at UCL and have 2 questions, would really appreciate a reply:

1. Grades: I got 10 A* at GCSE and 3A (govpol econ geography) 1B at AS level , keeping the B subject (maths). Also did 2 extra GCSEs in russian and arabic this year. Will probably be predicted A*AA. Are these grades ok?

2. Personal statement: I'm applying for PPE, and politics and econ courses elsewhere so my statement is mainly politics and econ based. I have included 1 book about russian history and my russian GCSE as well - is there enough focus on history there or do I need to add more? I am more interested in politics and economics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending