The Student Room Group

Will only doing 3 AS levels affect my application to universities?

I am nearing the end of my AS year at college and am going to drop one of my courses. I am wondering whether only doing 3 AS levels as oppose to 4 will affect my chances of getting into the university I want to.
Original post by Aiden Taylor
I am nearing the end of my AS year at college and am going to drop one of my courses. I am wondering whether only doing 3 AS levels as oppose to 4 will affect my chances of getting into the university I want to.

All depends what and where you want to apply to
You can maximise your UCAS points if you take 4 AS Levels which is always a good thing. However, it depends on where you apply to. On the other hand, most universities only require 3 subjects.

For our year group quite a few subjects are in the reformed category- meaning its actually described as a two-year straight course. There aren't meant to be AS exams for reformed subjects, they're just meant to be A2 exams. If any of your subjects are reformed (mine are biology, chemistry and psychology) your grade you get this year at AS is scrapped if you take it on to A2. People in the year below us are only taking 3 for this reason alone- also I'm sitting AS chemistry next year so I can widen some pathways in the sciences with that along me.

When it comes to applying to UCAS, our referees have to state whether its a reformed subject or not, so taking it straight to A2 looks completely normal and not doing the extra AS :h:
Original post by SubZero~
You can maximise your UCAS points if you take 4 AS Levels which is always a good thing. However, it depends on where you apply to. On the other hand, most universities only require 3 subjects.

I've looked at the uni I want to apply to and the course and it says entry requirements are an AAB with no mention of UCAS points, does this mean they only look at grades?
I've looked at the uni I want to apply to and the course and it says entry requirements are an AAB with no mention of UCAS points, does this mean they only look at grades?

They don't tend to look at the UCAS points to my knowledge, but yes they may take it into consideration. Grades are the main thing.

Quick Reply

Latest