The Student Room Group

46% of people in England don't believe in free speech

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BaconandSauce
No it's OK it's not about winning it's about getting you to understand it's a tricky area and statements that on one had may seem chivalrous (as yours did) fail under certain scrutiny

And I suppose that's my point as long as we are all free to discuss ideas and exchange opinions (not matter how different we find them) that it can only ever be a good thing

Hmm, looks like we disagree on a few things but I guess that's not a bad thing.
The majority of the world's knowledge, rights, privileges progression and even religion came about because there was some form of free speech.
It is very hypocritical of these people to turn back on them now.

Every individual who has achieved anything (positive) socially, politically, economically and scientifically would be rolling in their graves right now (Except obviously the likes of Hitler, Stalin and authoritarian leaders).
Original post by TaintedLight
For some people Freedom of Speech is synonymous to freedom to say stupid things. And that's an issue.

Abusing and insulting demographics, creates a toxic environment which leads to a civil unrest. It's a good initiative from the government to clamp down on such morons.

Like in my house, for example, racist statements, insulting my girlfriend (imaginary), and suggestions that Donald Trump will be the best president the US ever had will get you ridiculed or thrown out.

Moaning you weren't afforded your freedom to be stupid won't earn you my sympathy. My pragmatic selection of inviting (and throwing out) people ensures the quality of discussion remains high quality and respectful in The House.

It's sad that buffoons like yourself get 4 thumbs up.

Freedom of speech most certainly implies the freedom to insult and the freedom to say stupid things. If it didn't imply those things, it would not be called freedom of speech but rather freedom to say specific things which are approved by the government and their friends.
Original post by BarryBeTrippin

You didn't create anything, don't take credit for work you haven't contributed to. Whites did not innovate, innovators innovated. Same for blacks who take credit for black achievements.

Am I not allowed to be proud of the achievements of my race? If whites didnt innovate, who was it who developed and spread the English language, the rule of law, had the largest Empire in the history of the world, and whos inventions are used daily?

No, I did not personally help with any of these things. Doesnt mean I cant be proud of my country and my people.
Original post by Little Popcorns
No it's not worrying if all those people think that people like Milo Flobbydobadous should have their free speech curtailed when they say nasty sexist and mean stuff then there's nothing worrying about that... It's a positive thing.

What about religious texts that contain sexist verses? Are you saying we should ban these religious texts? That is quite a controversial stance to take.
I wonder what religion that is?
Original post by PrincePaul56777
Nope.

The West is currently on top, so nearly all the latest inventions are going to be Western. That is not surprising.

But it says nothing about white people having any sort of special gift because if they did, they would have been on top for thousands of years, not just hundreds.

Sure whites have invented good stuff but at the same 99.999% of whites have invented nothing.

Your points only work during certain periods of history. In 1300 you could have made the Chinese inventor argument at the time they could have bragged that they have been the most inventive. In 1000 BC you could have made the Egyptian inventor argument.

So called western technology is not because white people are so much smarter than everyone else but because progress in science and invention is built on what has gone before.

The more science you know the more science you can discover. The more inventions you have at hand, the more new inventions you can come up with. That is why the progress is exponential. It comes from the nature of science and technology, not from the nature of white intelligence.

And why is the West on top? Because they invented things which helped them to be.

Its true that the mantle of dominance is passed around the world, but there are some places that it never touches. China, Egypt, the Ottoman Empire are all examples of places which innovated, but failed to retain their position.

Regarding white intelligence, its pretty common knowledge that the average IQ in Europe and the US is higher than a lot of places in the world. One could argue that only being on top was the source of this, but IQ is much dependant on race as well.
Original post by Dinasaurus
If you have a problem, get together a group of racists and homophobes and make a party and hope people vote for it.

I should have the freedom to hate whatever I want. Rice, people, canoeing, certain animals. As long as I dont act on that hate is the key thing.
Original post by Prince_Paul_246
Depends on what you mean by refute

If you are saying that most of the major inventions over the last 150 years have been at the hands of white people, then I would agree.

If you are saying that the reason that most of the major inventions over the last 150 years has been at the hands of white people is because white people are superior then I would strongly disagree.

Yes, I fully agree. Actually that point was less neutral than I interpreted.
Original post by Dinasaurus
You don't have to be left wing to be anti-free speech. Under Tory rule, hate crimes and libel are illegal. I am fine with this and for it.

The Tories also legalised hate speech that is merely 'offensive' if I remember correctly. And don't get me wrong, I don't support a lot of the Tories' motions. At the moment I don't think centrist politicians outside the US place as much emphasis as they should on free expression.
I am all for free speech but there are certain things which shouldn't be allowed like things that offend me or things i don't agree with
Original post by whorace
Yes,

Printing Press and Modern Physics which is at the heart of pretty much every invention was a Western invention, we invented the means to distribute said knowldege faster than anyone before us. The Chinese might have had a printing press but it clearly wasn't very good. Who is the Chinese Newton? Egyptian Darwin? Muslim David Hilbert?

White people have invented stuff. No question.

But my point is - All the most important inventions have come from black people - and Asian people have invented stuff. White people have been the least inventive and borrowed from what people done before.
(edited 8 years ago)
Secularism
"This report demonstrates how the concept of offense, and the violence that sometimes accompanies it, has created a chilling effect on freedom of expression in the UK. Whilst bigotry of all kinds should be robustly challenged, now is not the time to start sacrificing fundamental freedoms in order to protect 'religious sentiments'. Restricting free speech will do nothing to improve social cohesion and once satisfied, demands to 'respect' religion will only lead to yet further demands.

So very true.
Reply 93
White people have invented stuff. No question.

But my point is - All the most important inventions have come from black people - and Asian people have invented stuff

GPS? Aeroplanes? Medicine? Most inventions in the world have been recent due to explosive population growth and science, It's actually really racist to say that since it's clearly wrong, I won't downplay the achivements of other cultures but it's a matter of fact that Euroeans and Americans have made most advancements in the world.
Original post by whorace
GPS? Aeroplanes? Medicine? It's actually really racist to say that, I won't downplay the achivements of other cultures but it's a matter of fact that Euroeans and Americans have made most advancements in the world.

OK. Well let's break that down

And who do you think taught whites the science to create GPS ? Aeroplanes ?

Who was your teacher ?
Reply 95

Who was your teacher ?

Are you actually serious right now? GPS requires the theory of relativity, so Einstein. Aeoplanes requires flight mechanics, and a bunch of other modern engineering.
Original post by whorace
Are you actually serious right now? GPS requires the theory of relativity, so Einstein. Aeoplanes requires flight mechanics, and a bunch of other modern engineering.

Where did whites get the knowledge, the science, the knowhow to create GPS ? to create Aeroplanes ?

Where do you think whites got that ?

Do you seriously think they just woke up one day and thought "Hey !! Let's create an Aeroplane"

Where did the knowledge come from ? Where did Einstein get his knowledge from ?

Who was white people's Teacher ?
Original post by Betelgeuse-
I am all for free speech but there are certain things which shouldn't be allowed like things that offend me or things i don't agree with

Sums up most of the 'progressive left' to be honest.

Who was your teacher ?

Hahahah

Troll detected

Nice bait though
Let's be honest here, if you don't believe in free speech you are fascist.

And I don't mean you saying "I believe in free speech but...". You either have FULL free speech or you don't. It's sad that England is like this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending