The Student Room Group

The official UFC/MMA society

It's time we started an MMA/UFC thread to talk about anything and everything that's happening within MMA today.

A couple of topical things to get started:

Mir vs Hunt predictions

UFC 200 fight match up predictions?

Anderson Silva vs Urijah Hall - WTF?

Rory MacDonald possible move to Bellator?

@ByronicHero @Greg Jackson @Assan @TorpidPhil @Mackay - might be of interest to you guys...

Join the society here
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My thoughs on the following:

Mir vs Hunt predictions - Hunt by devestating walk away KO in round 2

UFC 200 fight match up predictions? McGregor vs Aldo (though it should be Edgar), Nate Diaz vs Robbie Lawler.

Anderson Silva vs Urijah Hall - WTF? Two counter fighters, that don't like to engage. Going to be a boring and perculiar 15 minutes in the octagon.

Rory MacDonald possible move to Bellator? Will be a shame for the fans, but the UFC are screwing the fighters out of fight money and sponsorship money, so would be good to see the fighters taking a stand and striving for more out of their contracts...

I wrote out a reply then you closed the thread so I lost it. I am unimpressed (:tongue:) but will answer again :colonhash:
Original post by ByronicHero
I wrote out a reply then you closed the thread so I lost it. I am unimpressed (:tongue:) but will answer again :colonhash:

This was probably my fault, sorry!
Original post by kalclash
My thoughs on the following:

Mir vs Hunt predictions - Hunt by devestating walk away KO in round 2

UFC 200 fight match up predictions? McGregor vs Aldo (though it should be Edgar), Nate Diaz vs Robbie Lawler.

Anderson Silva vs Urijah Hall - WTF? Two counter fighters, that don't like to engage. Going to be a boring and perculiar 15 minutes in the octagon.

Rory MacDonald possible move to Bellator? Will be a shame for the fans, but the UFC are screwing the fighters out of fight money and sponsorship money, so would be good to see the fighters taking a stand and striving for more out of their contracts...

I agree with you but suspect it may even come late in the first.

I think it is more likely to be Edgar than Aldo and agree with you about the other fight. I'm going to throw this out there so I look like a god if I'm right: Aldo Vs Edgar 2 and CM vs Holloway 2. Or swap Edgar and Holloway. I don't think we will have CM Vs Aldo at 200.

I actually kinda look forward to Hall vs Silva. I really liked Hall on TUF and, while he obviously hasn't delivered on the hype, he is still capable of some pretty sick striking when he is on his game. I smell a knockout in this fight with the recipient of it depending very much on whether or not Silva decides to piss around. I do understand your position but I don't see it going that way.

I very much doubt Rory will move (unless GSP comes back with title aspirations). I have to believe the UFC will pay the money to keep him around. This said, Mitrione has gone chasing the Fedor fight so who knows :tongue:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
This was probably my fault, sorry!

No worries :h:
Reply 6

I think it is more likely to be Edgar than Aldo and agree with you about the other fight. I'm going to throw this out there so I look like a god if I'm right: Aldo Vs Edgar 2 and CM vs Holloway 2. Or swap Edgar and Holloway. I don't think we will have CM Vs Aldo at 200.

I actually kinda look forward to Hall vs Silva. I really liked Hall on TUF and, while he obviously hasn't delivered on the hype, he is still capable of some pretty sick striking when he is on his game. I smell a knockout in this fight with the recipient of it depending very much on whether or not Silva decides to piss around. I do understand your position but I don't see it going that way.

I very much doubt Rory will move (unless GSP comes back with title aspirations). I have to believe the UFC will pay the money to keep him around. This said, Mitrione has gone chasing the Fedor fight so who knows :tongue:

I was thinking a late 1st KO for Hunt too, based on Hunt's power and Mir's glass jaw. The thing that stopped me is that Hunt is a slow starter and pretty methodical, and Mir generally needs to be swarmed in order to be finished early. He generally survives a bit longer with a slower pace.

CM vs Holloway? I hadn't considered that. I really can't see that happening dude, so if it does I will accept you as an MMA prediction god.

I hope you're right about Silva v Hall. It has the potential to be great, but more likely Hall will be too terrified to pull the trigger and Silva will dance around on the outside not doing a lot. I really hope your prediction comes true.

Fedor v Mitrione would be sweet! I'd put money on Mitrione on that...
I was thinking a late 1st KO for Hunt too, based on Hunt's power and Mir's glass jaw. The thing that stopped me is that Hunt is a slow starter and pretty methodical, and Mir generally needs to be swarmed in order to be finished early. He generally survives a bit longer with a slower pace.

CM vs Holloway? I hadn't considered that. I really can't see that happening dude, so if it does I will accept you as an MMA prediction god.

I hope you're right about Silva v Hall. It has the potential to be great, but more likely Hall will be too terrified to pull the trigger and Silva will dance around on the outside not doing a lot. I really hope your prediction comes true.

Fedor v Mitrione would be sweet! I'd put money on Mitrione on that...

Mir isn't stupid, I can see him being very tentative in the first and avoiding the big shots pretty well. If Hunt can sleep Roy then he can do it to Mir so it has to happen at some point.

Holloway probably has more fans than Edgar, and he was competitive with CM in their fight (and has improved since). I don't really think it will happen either but I am calling it. If he doesn't fight CM I think he will fight Aldo/Edgar (though possibly not at 200).

I think I would probably bet on Mitrione too. I really want Fedor to be Fedor but...yaknow....
Reply 8
Mir isn't stupid, I can see him being very tentative in the first and avoiding the big shots pretty well. If Hunt can sleep Roy then he can do it to Mir so it has to happen at some point.

Holloway probably has more fans than Edgar, and he was competitive with CM in their fight (and has improved since). I don't really think it will happen either but I am calling it. If he doesn't fight CM I think he will fight Aldo/Edgar (though possibly not at 200).

I think I would probably bet on Mitrione too. I really want Fedor to be Fedor but...yaknow....

Fedor hasn't been Fedor for a long, long time now unfortunately. Realistically all he's done since his lay off is age - and he was looking pretty old before that. I'd love to see a 'legends' belt introduced. I would love to see a legends fight between Fedor and Bas Rutten - that fight would be immense!!
Fedor hasn't been Fedor for a long, long time now unfortunately. Realistically all he's done since his lay off is age - and he was looking pretty old before that. I'd love to see a 'legends' belt introduced. I would love to see a legends fight between Fedor and Bas Rutten - that fight would be immense!!

I would genuinely consider trying to buy a ticket for that :yes:
Reply 10
It's time we started an MMA/UFC thread to talk about anything and everything that's happening within MMA today.

A couple of topical things to get started:

Mir vs Hunt predictions

UFC 200 fight match up predictions?

Anderson Silva vs Urijah Hall - WTF?

Rory MacDonald possible move to Bellator?

@ByronicHero @Greg Jackson @Assan @TorpidPhil @Mackay - might be of interest to you guys...

Join the society here

Great thread, man. I'm in.
Reply 11
Thanks for the invite!

Wondering if anyone practices MMA and/or martial arts while in Uni, or plans to? I'm very lucky that the uni that looks like it will be my firm has my two loves there...Muay Thai and Pole <3. Looking to add MMA in uni.
Reply 12
Original post by Assan
Thanks for the invite!

Wondering if anyone practices MMA and/or martial arts while in Uni, or plans to? I'm very lucky that the uni that looks like it will be my firm has my two loves there...Muay Thai and Pole <3. Looking to add MMA in uni.

Nice! I'm 33 now and MMA wasn't really a thing during my Uni days :frown: Poor me. I did Thai Boxing instead and was injured and out of the game by 23 years old, which is when MMA was starting to take off...
Reply 13
I would genuinely consider trying to buy a ticket for that :yes:

News hot off the press. Ariel Helwani is reporting that UFC 200 will be headlined by a rematch between McGregor vs Diaz! A big mistake in my book if this turns out to be true!!
News hot off the press. Ariel Helwani is reporting that UFC 200 will be headlined by a rematch between McGregor vs Diaz! A big mistake in my book if this turns out to be true!!

I did hear on the JRE that this match-up was being considered. It will pull numbers but I also think it is a mistake. Still, I would be interested to see if CM can learn from his mistakes and find a way past a full fight camp Diaz.

For a split second before I read this properly I thought you meant CM Punk.:smile:
Original post by JamesN88
For a split second before I read this properly I thought you meant CM Punk.:smile:

No, but I do quite like him. No idea if he will be any good at MMA but I find him very likeable from interviews and such.
Reply 17
I did hear on the JRE that this match-up was being considered. It will pull numbers but I also think it is a mistake. Still, I would be interested to see if CM can learn from his mistakes and find a way past a full fight camp Diaz.

If I were Edgar or Aldo, or even Holloway I would very upset if they make this rematch!!
If I were Edgar or Aldo, or even Holloway I would very upset if they make this rematch!!

I agree completely. But it probably pulls bigger numbers than any of those three fights. There is also a revenge storyline I suppose.

I think it is wrong for various reasons but I will still be excited to watch it. Hellllwwwwwwwaaaaaaannnnnnniiiiiiiiiii isn't always correct anyway so I'll wait and see.
I agree completely. But it probably pulls bigger numbers than any of those three fights. There is also a revenge storyline I suppose.

I think it is wrong for various reasons but I will still be excited to watch it. Hellllwwwwwwwaaaaaaannnnnnniiiiiiiiiii isn't always correct anyway so I'll wait and see.

I'm not normally a fan of interim belts but if Conor is going to have multiple fights at a higher weight they either need to have an interim title match at 145 or he needs to give up that belt so as not to hold up the division.

I don't think either will ever happen, let alone the latter because of how much money he makes them.

Quick Reply

Latest