The Student Room Group

Do you view before you rent?

How important is viewing a property to you? What do you usually look out for? :u:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Study Inn Group
How important is viewing a property to you? What do you usually look out for? :u:

Very important - I always look out for signs of mould/damp as it's a nightmare :afraid:
Of course, where do you usually look? Bathroom tiles for example? Would it affect your decision to reserve a room?
Of course, where do you usually look? Bathroom tiles for example? Would it affect your decision to reserve a room?

Bathroom yes, but also in living rooms and bedrooms - check behind sofas/curtains if possible. I also ask the person showing me around if it's a problem.

It would affect my decision if the problem is really bad. Many houses in the UK have issues with damp so it's okay if it's managed :h:
Interesting you mention about checking behind sofas, curtains definitely as there could be condensation on the window? What would you consider as really bad? Would you be put off by slight black marks?
Interesting you mention about checking behind sofas, curtains definitely as there could be condensation on the window? What would you consider as really bad? Would you be put off by slight black marks?

Yes, some landlords either try to cover it up or don't check for mould in those places.

I'd be put off by any mould on the walls because that suggests a bigger problem. :beard: Around the windows would depend on how bad it was really :h:
Same as above I check for damp, mold and any other sign of the house basically falling apart.

I took a massive risk during my first year and signed for a place none of us had viewed for second year as we left it quite late and were in a rush. The house turned out to be both good and bad. It was actually a very nice building, structurally sound and very good noise insulation. All of the problems we had with that house were not one we could have spotted in a viewing (general landlord was a thieving knob and plumbing issues all completely the landlords fault).

But yeah, I strongly strongly urge no one signs a contract without viewing the property. I have seen and visited some dingy and disgusting student properties that in my personal opinion should be illegal and too much of a health hazard to let.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Yes, some landlords either try to cover it up or don't check for mould in those places.

I'd be put off by any mould on the walls because that suggests a bigger problem. :beard: Around the windows would depend on how bad it was really :h:

Sadly, some landlords do not make students aware of any fault in the property unless if the student notices it. Has this ever occurred to you?

Apart from moulds, what else puts you off? On the other hand, what features do you find appealing? :h:
Original post by SophieSmall
Same as above I check for damp, mold and any other sign of the house basically falling apart.

I took a massive risk during my first year and signed for a place none of us had viewed for second year as we left it quite late and were in a rush. The house turned out to be both good and bad. It was actually a very nice building, structurally sound and very good noise insulation. All of the problems we had with that house were not one we could have spotted in a viewing (general landlord was a thieving knob and plumbing issues all completely the landlords fault).

But yeah, I strongly strongly urge no one signs a contract without viewing the property. I have seen and visited some dingy and disgusting student properties that in my personal opinion should be illegal and too much of a health hazard to let.

That's an unpleasant experience but very good advise indeed, that's the problem when you are looking in a hurry - you may oversee things which you wouldn't normally when you had the time?
So did your landlord help you resolve any of the issues you had? What you could do as well is that, you could view the property on a sunny day as well as a rainy day to see if there are any leaks etc?

What would you consider health hazard(s)?
That's an unpleasant experience but very good advise indeed, that's the problem when you are looking in a hurry - you may oversee things which you wouldn't normally when you had the time?
So did your landlord help you resolve any of the issues you had? What you could do as well is that, you could view the property on a sunny day as well as a rainy day to see if there are any leaks etc?

What would you consider health hazard(s)?

Not really, our previous landlord was very awful. He kept hiring completely unqualified people who were blatantly his mates to come fix the plumbing and of course it just kept breaking.

Yeah I suppose that's an idea but a bit difficult to schedule to be sure it rains that day lol. But you ca check for signs of water damage along the walls and ceilings.

Biggest ones I'd say (apart from obvious house is about to fall down) and mold and damp. People underestimate the affect it can have on your health, especially if like me you have asthma or any other condition which can make you more vulnerable. It also makes the house horrible to live in, clothes never quite dry and every stinks of mold and damp, including you when you leave the house.
(edited 8 years ago)
Not really, our previous landlord was very awful. He kept hiring completely unqualified people who were blatantly his mates to come fix the plumbing and of course it just kept breaking.

Yeah I suppose that's an idea but a bit difficult to schedule to be sure it rains that day lol. But you ca check for signs of water damage along the walls and ceilings.

Biggest ones I'd say (apart from obvious house is about to fall down) and mold and damp. People underestimate the affect it can have on your health, especially if like me you have asthma or any other condition which can make you more vulnerable. It also makes the house horrible to live in, clothes never quite dry and every stinks of mold and damp, including you when you leave the house.

That's too bad, were you able to get any support from your university? Would you consider staying at your university hall or private accommodation instead as they should offer you 24/7 support?

Oh dear, that would definitely have an impact on your health? Not to forget to mention that using electrical appliances in a damp house is also very dangerous too!
Absolutely. places look very different in real life. its important to get an idea of dimensions and the surrounding area plus other things photos dont show you, such as noise or neighbours. Its a lot of money to commit an if you get it wrong it cna be an expensive mistake.
That's too bad, were you able to get any support from your university? Would you consider staying at your university hall or private accommodation instead as they should offer you 24/7 support?

Oh dear, that would definitely have an impact on your health? Not to forget to mention that using electrical appliances in a damp house is also very dangerous too!

Honestly it was all happening right in exam season, we couldn't cope with trying to sort stuff out with our current landlord on top of exams and looking for a new place to live.

No I would no consider living in private accommodation or university hall of that kind. They are always too expensive and the buildings are practically made of cardboard there is so much noise. I will only rent houses.

Yeah, thankfully I've not had a mold problem or anything like that in any rented houses. Though my mum's house back home has mold and damp problems, it's awful.
Original post by 999tigger
Absolutely. places look very different in real life. its important to get an idea of dimensions and the surrounding area plus other things photos dont show you, such as noise or neighbours. Its a lot of money to commit an if you get it wrong it cna be an expensive mistake.

That is why it is so important to arrange a viewing appointment beforehand to get a full understanding of the building - and of course paying attention to the surrounding is also very important when it comes to social life outside of studies
Honestly it was all happening right in exam season, we couldn't cope with trying to sort stuff out with our current landlord on top of exams and looking for a new place to live.

No I would no consider living in private accommodation or university hall of that kind. They are always too expensive and the buildings are practically made of cardboard there is so much noise. I will only rent houses.

Yeah, thankfully I've not had a mold problem or anything like that in any rented houses. Though my mum's house back home has mold and damp problems, it's awful.

Hmm, so did you hear from your friends who have stayed in private halls or university accommodation that noise was always an issue? I would have imagined that help is always on hand if you spoke to an accommodation officer if you needed them in an emergency?

Guess you may need to buy a dehumidifier for your house to prevent molds from forming/building up? :u:
Hmm, so did you hear from your friends who have stayed in private halls or university accommodation that noise was always an issue? I would have imagined that help is always on hand if you spoke to an accommodation officer if you needed them in an emergency?

Guess you may need to buy a dehumidifier for your house to prevent molds from forming/building up? :u:

From my own experience in uni halls + private halls I've visited. Basically any large building blocks built for students I stay away from. They are poor quality and overpriced. Nah not really, and doesn't negate the downsides.

The problem in my mums house is the brick work, the water seeps through.

Quick Reply

Latest