The Student Room Group

3 AS can i still get into top unis ?

I am currently studying 3 AS . do i still have a chance applying to unis such as cambridge and oxford #?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2
Original post by looktoyourright
I am currently studying 3 AS . do i still have a chance applying to unis such as cambridge and oxford #?

@jneill

I imagine there's still a chance, but you won't be as competitive as other applicants. Most will have 4 (some with 5) AS subjects at A grade. If your school has a policy where you can only do 3 though, it won't affect you!
Reply 3

3 AS here and got offers from Cambridge, Warwick, UCL and Imperial for maths. More than possible.

Original post by jamestg
@jneill

I imagine there's still a chance, but you won't be as competitive as other applicants. Most will have 4 (some with 5) AS subjects at A grade. If your school has a policy where you can only do 3 though, it won't affect you!

That's completely false - Cambridge, at least, I know doesn't care about your fourth A-Level if it isn't relevant to your course choice.

I imagine ultimately it will come down to the grades, not the number of subjects you have done
Original post by Zacken
That sounds so stupid, do schools actually do this? :erm:

My school apparently didn't let people last year apply to Cambridge/Imperial unless they had 4 As at AS. I almost wasn't allowed to apply to either 'because both of them would most certainly reject you with a C at AS before the interview"

LOL
Original post by Zacken
3 AS here and got offers from Cambridge, Warwick, UCL and Imperial for maths. More than possible.

That's completely false - Cambridge, at least, I know doesn't care about your fourth A-Level if it isn't relevant to your course choice.

Well you see i will have "4" as but the 4th one is not really valid as it is my first language and dotn take any classes for it.

I reallly hate this subject and i know i will fail it 100%. I have been entered for the exams. Can i ask my college to un enter me ? is that even a thing ?
Reply 7
Original post by Student403
My school apparently didn't let people last year apply to Cambridge/Imperial unless they had 4 As at AS. I almost wasn't allowed to apply to either 'because both of them would most certainly reject you with a C at AS before the interview"

LOL

Yeah, m8, sorry you can't do engineering in one of the most English unis in the world because your German isn't impeccable. #SorryNotSorry

smh man, smh.
Reply 8
Well you see i will have "4" as but the 4th one is not really valid as it is my first language and dotn take any classes for it.

I reallly hate this subject and i know i will fail it 100%. I have been entered for the exams. Can i ask my college to un enter me ? is that even a thing ?

I'm not entirely sure whether you can be 'unentered' but if I recall correctly, there should be able to be some kind of arrangement you can make. Best to talk to your school and sort something out.

The key point is: 4 AS's are by no means a requisite.
Original post by Zacken
Yeah, m8, sorry you can't do engineering in one of the most English unis in the world because your German isn't impeccable. #SorryNotSorry

smh man, smh.

The things schools think these days -.-

It's embarrassing when you have a careers advisor who almost takes away the chance of studying at such universities due to a silly misconception
Original post by Zacken
I'm not entirely sure whether you can be 'unentered' but if I recall correctly, there should be able to be some kind of arrangement you can make. Best to talk to your school and sort something out.

The key point is: 4 AS's are by no means a requisite.

Yeah will do. Thanks a lot for your advice.
Maths-Ft maths - Physics + 1st lang
are strong subjects ?
Reply 11
Yeah will do. Thanks a lot for your advice.
Maths-Ft maths - Physics + 1st lang
are strong subjects ?

Depending on your course, that's excellent if it's a very mathematical course. The language will be utterly irrelevant to Cambridge. :-)
Reply 12

It's embarrassing when you have a careers advisor who almost takes away the chance of studying at such universities due to a silly misconception

How'd you manage to convince yours to let you? :biggrin:
Original post by Zacken
Depending on your course, that's excellent if it's a very mathematical course. The language will be utterly irrelevant to Cambridge. :-)

i was thinking comp sci . Yeah get it will be irrelevant but it wont put me at a great disadvantage to others with 4 ? and also i will have a lover UMS than others
Original post by Zacken
How'd you manage to convince yours to let you? :biggrin:

I think I used some FOI data or something to show them that they were being idiots. Also showed them that I'd be placed in the Z quintile for Cambridge interview selection and my UMS avg was >95% without the C and even with the C, it was 90%
Reply 15
I think I used some FOI data or something to show them that they were being idiots. Also showed them that I'd be placed in the Z quintile for Cambridge interview selection and my UMS avg was >95% without the C and even with the C, it was 90%

Oh, damn. That must have burnt. Go you! :biggrin:

i was thinking comp sci .

Very good combination

Yeah get it will be irrelevant but it wont put me at a great disadvantage to others with 4 ?

No.

and also i will have a lover UMS than others

No. It's best three that counts towards your UMS average I think; I think you should be dropping your fourth AS if you aren't enjoying it as it isn't going to be of any use in a compsci application.
Original post by Zacken
Oh, damn. That must have burnt. Go you! :biggrin:

Very good combination

No.

No. It's best three that counts towards your UMS average I think; I think you should be dropping your fourth AS if you aren't enjoying it as it isn't going to be of any use in a compsci application.

Cheers :rofl:

Could have been worse, I know a person at my sixth form who got AAAAA at AS and she had to prove that Bath is a good uni, as otherwise department would not have allowed her to apply there since it isn't a RG. Such a BS.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 0123456543210
Could have been worse, I know a person at my sixth form who got AAAAA at AS and he had to prove that Bath is a good uni, as otherwise department would not have allowed her to apply there since it isn't a RG. Such a BS.

LOL WTF? Schools are so stupid sometimes... Exacerbating misconceptions smh
Cheers :rofl:

Bro - you gave me hope. Light in the tunnel

Quick Reply

Latest