The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Axlerod
Ok, let's say I have £500 and want to trade on the stock market with absolutely no knowledge of it. How do I go about it? What trading platforms do I use and what kind of resources are there to better my knowledge and make more successful trades? Any help would be appreciated! 😀

That's not really much and with little knowledge i'd probably go for an ETF and track an index. Barclays will give you execution only. You need to learn basic accounting and be prepared to go over company accounts to identify the firms you think are undervalued. Also read Benjamin Graham's - The Intelligent Investor.
Reply 101
trading.jpg

This month's trading in Binary Options. It's been a good and eventful month. Rising oil prices, massive USD gain against JPY after Non farm payroll announcement followed by huge USD drop after dovish FOMC announcement resulting in appreciation of most currencies against the dollar and huge rise in gold/silver. Strong pound after budget announcement. Managed to catch the momentum on all the events. Missed a few big chances but can't win them all.
(edited 8 years ago)
How do you pick good stocks and shares?
Original post by Kutie Karen

You can use fundamental analysis: Basically checking on upcoming company press releases and speculating on the outcome.

Or what I do:

Technical analysis: graphical and statistical functions to predict whether a market will rise or fall in the coming days.

Depends on your time preference to start with (do you want to trade frequently or are you looking for a long term stock) but you learn to read basic accounting and study anything and everything news related that may impact them.
Original post by Rakas21
Depends on your time preference to start with (do you want to trade frequently or are you looking for a long term stock) but you learn to read basic accounting and study anything and everything news related that may impact them.

What kind of things do you look at ?
Original post by Rakas21

That's if you want to do fundamental analysis, too much speculation for me. It's perfectly possible to know nothing about the instrument you're trading and trade exclusively with technical analysis, suits more people too as doesn't require boning up on news all the time.
What kind of things do you look at ?

Original post by will3482
That's if you want to do fundamental analysis, too much speculation for me. It's perfectly possible to know nothing about the instrument you're trading and trade exclusively with technical analysis, suits more people too as doesn't require boning up on news all the time.

Well i should say that i'm still a peasant so have no investments as yet but being gainfully employed i hope to get in the market late this year or next.

I tend to take a long term view in what my approach will be (i.e. typically i'd want quarterly gains over shifting shares frequently) so i suppose i'd be looking for firms which have good margins, high capital investment and are what i'd deem undervalued. Saying that though i also like IPO's, mergers (lots of money to be made with these things) and i'd probably have a pot with firms which are technically overvalued but are growing fast.
Original post by Rakas21
Well i should say that i'm still a peasant so have no investments as yet but being gainfully employed i hope to get in the market late this year or next.

I tend to take a long term view in what my approach will be (i.e. typically i'd want quarterly gains over shifting shares frequently) so i suppose i'd be looking for firms which have good margins, high capital investment and are what i'd deem undervalued. Saying that though i also like IPO's, mergers (lots of money to be made with these things) and i'd probably have a pot with firms which are technically overvalued but are growing fast.

You could also buy equity?
Original post by john2054
You could also buy equity?

Stocks are equities but yeah, i get your wider point.
Original post by Rakas21
Stocks are equities but yeah, i get your wider point.

I considering on loading in some more gold bullion in a couple of weeks, when i get paid?
I considering on loading in some more gold bullion in a couple of weeks, when i get paid?

If your actually buying real physical gold then great, i'd definitely want to get some myself.

If your wanting to trade futures for the long term then right now i think gold is more likely to lose value over the next 2-3 years than rise appreciably albeit if you trade over short timeframes then there's always bounces. Right now i'd probably want some crude futures if your prepared to hold a few years.
Original post by Rakas21
If your actually buying real physical gold then great, i'd definitely want to get some myself.

If your wanting to trade futures for the long term then right now i think gold is more likely to lose value over the next 2-3 years than rise appreciably albeit if you trade over short timeframes then there's always bounces. Right now i'd probably want some crude futures if your prepared to hold a few years.

Yes agreed oil looks promising. But that being said i don't know where i can easily buy some from. BTW i do my gold trading on bitgold.
Yes agreed oil looks promising. But that being said i don't know where i can easily buy some from. BTW i do my gold trading on bitgold.

http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/08/oil-as-investment.asp

Or a petrol station.
Reply 114
Is anyone interested in getting a $50 free web trading account? I won a contest and I have a few accounts (on a fully licensed broker based in London) to give away. The $50 is not withdrawable but you can freely trade it in whatever market you like. Send me a PM for details.
It's still depends on how the market works. There's no such thing as best trader.
Original post by Axlerod
Ok, let's say I have £500 and want to trade on the stock market with absolutely no knowledge of it. How do I go about it? What trading platforms do I use and what kind of resources are there to better my knowledge and make more successful trades? Any help would be appreciated! 😀

I just see the compounded yield being too low and even on the A.I.M exchange, there is no worth in investing a size such as 500£
Reply 117
I wouldn't use the £500 to invest in to the stock market, instead I would use it to start up an online business, be my own boss and earn a residual income on essential services. It is safer than investing and you will earn a lot more money! Drop me a message if you want to know more.
Original post by Axlerod
Ok, let's say I have £500 and want to trade on the share market with absolutely no knowledge of it. How do I go about it? What trading platforms do I use and what kind of resources are there to better my knowledge and make more successful trades? Any help would be appreciated! 😀

I think the the first and foremost thing to keep in mind is not to invest all your money in one place. I would say it is better to divide your money among three to four shares or stocks. The next step would be to do some market research and short list some suitable stocks or shares that you think would be a good place to invest. Then you can go ahead and classify them on the basis of risk. There can be three categories under it. Very Risky, Risky and Safe, It is then important to find a balance between the three. This is somewhat similar to the idea of portfolio management. Under this plan, you can make up for the risk taken in one share by playing it safe with another. This is particularity helpful for those who are new to the world of stock market.
Original post by shreya.pandey
I think the the first and foremost thing to keep in mind is not to invest all your money in one place. I would say it is better to divide your money among three to four shares or stocks. The next step would be to do some market research and short list some suitable stocks or shares that you think would be a good place to invest. Then you can go ahead and classify them on the basis of risk. There can be three categories under it. Very Risky, Risky and Safe, It is then important to find a balance between the three. This is somewhat similar to the idea of portfolio management. Under this plan, you can make up for the risk taken in one share by playing it safe with another. This is particularity helpful for those who are new to the world of stock market.

Investing in a handful of different company shares is a high risk strategy:wink:

The reality is that you need a basket of stocks in defensive companies to offset even one "risky" investment. If you are going to invest in individual companies most advisers would recommend investing in at least 20 separate company shares.

Think about it this way, acting on your advise, if your risky stock went into administration (unlikely but not impossible with the future economic climate), your "safe" stock would have to double in value (very unrealistic) just to break even! By investing in multiple shares (ideally the more the better) you mitigate risk.

Latest

Trending

Trending