The Student Room Group

How important are Year 10 mocks?

From what I've heard from my teachers, they'll only there to give us an idea of what our strengths and weaknesses are and to get used to being in an exam situation.

But in the long run, are they really *that* important? Or is it the year 11 mocks that need to be worried about the most?

Thanks in advice to anyone who responds!
FLM3026 :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FLM3026
From what I've heard from my teachers, they'll only there to give us an idea of what our strengths and weaknesses are and to get used to being in an exam situation.

But in the long run, are they really *that* important? Or is it the year 11 mocks that need to be worried about the most?

Mocks in year 10 aren't really that important, nor are mocks at any stage. But, it's good to revise a bit for them as you can make notes you can use for your real exams, and you don't have to memorise stuff all at once for them too.

They're only to tell you what you need to work on and what to improve on for your real exams. Like I got a B in my GCSE Maths mock in year 10, and ended up getting an A* in year 11.
they didn't help me really since we had to cut out so much stuff due to not even being halfway through the syllabus.
year 11 mocks are much more accurate :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by surina16
they didn't help me really since we had to cut out so much stuff due to not even being halfway through the syllabus.
year 11 mocks are much more accurate :smile:

Ah, alright! Thanks for your input.

I started with 12 exams and next week is my final week for exams before the Easter break. I now have chemistry, German (x2 for speaking and listening), biology, maths and geography left!

They're useless
Pretty sure that teachers know that no one takes them seriously then. Besides you would probably have another mock in yr 11.
Reply 6
They're important in some aspects as you can see where you're going wrong but they don't really indicate what level you're working at because at the end of year 10 I got a D in english language, but in the mocks i did 2 weeks ago I got an A*.
Reply 7
Original post by Peppercrunch
Mocks in year 10 aren't really that important, nor are mocks at any stage. But, it's good to revise a bit for them as you can make notes you can use for your real exams, and you don't have to memorise stuff all at once for them too.

They're only to tell you what you need to work on and what to improve on for your real exams. Like I got a B in my GCSE Maths mock in year 10, and ended up getting an A* in year 11.

Thanks for your input and suggestions!

I essentially know what it is I need to work on across most of my subjects but it is beneficial to take these exams to identify any more weaknesses you didn't identify before (or any strengths you didn't know you had)!

Next week is my final week for the mocks before the easter break and thankfully, I have less exams to do! This week has been the more heavy duty one! I started with 12 exams and only have about 3/4 left which are next week.

To be honest, I don't even remember having mocks in year 10. I know for a fact we did, but it had no impact on my education whatsoever. I finished my AS mocks today, and even these don't mean anything. At this stage the grades get sent to your exam board to see if you have a chance of passing, but definitely not at GCSE.
Reply 9
Original post by fauziaa
They're important in some aspects as you can see where you're going wrong but they don't really indicate what level you're working at because at the end of year 10 I got a D in english language, but in the mocks i did 2 weeks ago I got an A*.

Hello,

Yeah, I've spoken to a couple of year 11s about how they didn't perform so well in their year 10 mocks but did excellently on their year 11 ones. I guess that shows that in spite of getting the results you didn't expect in your year 10 mocks, you've still got plenty of time and practice left for you to focus on your weaknesses and get a much better result next time!

And a massive congratulations on your English result! That's an excellent achievement and I'm sure you'll breeze through your real exam!
Reply 10
Original post by JustJusty
To be honest, I don't even remember having mocks in year 10. I know for a fact we did, but it had no impact on my education whatsoever. I finished my AS mocks today, and even these don't mean anything. At this stage the grades get sent to your exam board to see if you have a chance of passing, but definitely not at GCSE.

I'm sure you've done well on your AS mocks :smile: Even if you don't expect the results you wanted, you've still got plenty of time and practice to perfect your knowledge and skills on the A-levels you're taking :smile: There's always light at the end o' each tunnel!

Thanks for your response!

P.S.: Good luck for your real thing!
Reply 11
Original post by Samistrawberry
Pretty sure that teachers know that no one takes them seriously then. Besides you would probably have another mock in yr 11.

Hello,

Yes, I noticed that most of my peers don't seem to have these mocks as seriously as I thought they would. Not that I'm trying to imply that they don't care because they *do* care and do seem keen on the prospect of succeeding, but they didn't seem too bothered about the prospect of revision. I think that's mostly down to the fact that they know that these exams are not of high importance.

What I do know for a fact is that during the summer holidays, I'm definitely going to be using my time wisely to be going over topics studied in year 10 and perhaps even start reading ahead for next year's material so I have less work to do. Obviously, I will find time to relax and have a little fun because after all, all work and no play makes Jack an unhappy boy, right?

Thanks!
FLM3026
Original post by FLM3026
I'm sure you've done well on your AS mocks :smile: Even if you don't expect the results you wanted, you've still got plenty of time and practice to perfect your knowledge and skills on the A-levels you're taking :smile: There's always light at the end o' each tunnel!

Thanks for your response!

P.S.: Good luck for your real thing!

I already got 2 of my papers back and I didn't quite get what I wanted, but to be fair I didn't get a chance to revise. I also didn't finish one of the mocks I did today, which sucks, but all will be good. I'm not too worried.Thanks for the 'good luck'.Good luck in your mocks/with your results! :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Legendary Quest
They're useless

That's what my mum also said and the vast majority of the students I've asked with regards to this question have also said the same thing.

FLM3026
Certainly work hard for them, but getting a bad grade now does not mean you will get a bad grade at the end of Y11. Similarly, if you get a very good grade you've still got a year's worth of work to get the same next year.
Not that important. Just try your best. The main qualifications that you need to focus on are your GCSEs and A Levels. The mocks are realy just to help the teachers indicate what support they need to provide in order for you to be at the level you should be. I believe in some subjects, the mock result may contribute to your overall GCSE grade, or maybe that has changed since I did mine. I really wouldn't worry about it at all. Still revise and give it your best shot, it will help you prepare for you GCSE's. I got mainly Ds in my mocks and came out with mostly Bs and As in my GCSEs so even if you come out with lower grades than you hoped for, it isn't the end of the world and won't have a huge bearing on your future.
Reply 16
Original post by FLM3026

Some say it isn't important but I think it is important as it gives you an idea of where your at in terms of progress though it's not necessarily accurate. The Year 11 mocks are more like the ones that give you an indication of what you would get if you sat the real examination though as aforementioned it's not entirely accurate.
Reply 17
Original post by 16Characters....
Certainly work hard for them, but getting a bad grade now does not mean you will get a bad grade at the end of Y11. Similarly, if you get a very good grade you've still got a year's worth of work to get the same next year.

I suppose for those who don't get the results they wanted, that sort of mindset gives them hope, much like myself!

Next week, I have my final week of year 10 mocks. I started with 12 exams and now I have about 3/4 left!

Original post by FLM3026
I suppose for those who don't get the results they wanted, that sort of mindset gives them hope, much like myself!

Next week, I have my final week of year 10 mocks. I started with 12 exams and now I have about 3/4 left!

Best of luck! I don't miss the days of 12 subjects, I am far happier with my 2/3 mocks in Year 13 :tongue:
About as much as a level 3 BTEC..

Quick Reply

Latest