The Student Room Group

46% of people in England don't believe in free speech

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dinasaurus
Give an example of something like that which is currently not allowed that you wish was?

You're point was that freedom of speech should be taken away from people. Where do you draw the line?
Original post by mightybis0n
You're point was that freedom of speech should be taken away from people. Where do you draw the line?

Racism, homophobia, transphobia, sexism etc. the usual.

And threats or saying you will harm someone.

Or insensitive humour.
Racism, homophobia, transphobia, sexism etc. the usual.

And threats or saying you will harm someone.

Or insensitive humour.

So because I say the word 'faggot' frequently thats grounds for limiting freedom of speech?

Or calling trans a mental illness (which it is)?
So because I say the word 'faggot' frequently thats grounds for limiting freedom of speech?

Or calling trans a mental illness (which it is)?

Yes. I don't think your free speech should be limited directly, just that you should be punished for it.
Yes. I don't think your free speech should be limited directly, just that you should be punished for it.

So you're against freedom of speech then. Good to know.
Original post by PrincePaul56777
If you are a white person living in the most European nations or in the US you experience less censorship than any other demographic on this planet.

You have easier access to more resources including paper, pens, computers and dictaphones. Not only do you have more ability to access the internet to publish online.

White people also have the world's strongest publishing industry statistically supporting them more than any other group.

Nobody (I repeat) NOBODY is less prevented from writing whatever the hell they want to than whites. Look at this site (TSR) - White people are allowed to RUN A MUCK on here and say what they want, no matter how racist.

And you know what ?

I don't have no problem with that but then when black people come on here and give counter arguments. They are banned immediately

Yet whites love to whine on about how they can’t speak their mind about how they are restricted by political correctness.

I always think - what's wrong with political correctness?
Freedom of speech is not freedom from its consequences.

Yeah, I went all out with that HTML. No regrets.

If someone truly wanted a society free of trivial stuff like inequality or prejudices... If someone truly wanted a decent life for everyone, they wouldn't ever make exemptions for "freedom of speech".

Exemptions such as 'freedom of speech isn't freedom of speech if ...' or 'freedom of speech isn't freedom to hate'. This is exactly what freedom of speech is. To say anything. To question anything. Everything you say will offend someone out there. This is the very basis of an equal society. To say that isn't what freedom of speech is about is saying you only want 'freedom of speech' on your own terms.

Which isn't freedom of speech.

But people'll now obviously say that if you want a society free of prejudice and inequality, this can't be possible. Here's how it can.

As stated above, in all its glorious 24px glory, just because you have the freedom to say what you want DOESN'T mean you can be free of people criticising your views.

The problem is that people abuse freedom of speech. They use the concept as a shield to protect from criticism, from proof against their views, to save them from bothering to back up their 'facts'... the list goes on.

'Consequences' doesn't imply persecution, segregation or humiliation (that's exactly what you shouldn't do). It implies that if you make a statement, then others are completely free to argue against it. It's like posting a comment. If you don't want people to reply to you, why did you post it? If you are going to get angry that people dismantle your arguments, where's the evidence for your views then? Why do you hold onto that perspective despite knowing you've not got a good reason to do so?

Opinions are personal, and there's nothing wrong with having one if that's just what you think. But no matter what it is, if you know it's not true then you're only affecting yourself. Don't feel embarrassed to change past views. Pride isn't worth living a lie.

This method of 'freedom of speech as a shield' is what people use to avoid confronting their ignorance. It prevents people wanting to find the truth. From learning. From accepting. From stepping out of their little world and look at something from the 'wrong' perspective. Yes, you have freedom of speech. So have others. If you feel humiliated because someone proved you wrong, only you are to blame. This is also a problem with many people. Instead of feeling like they learned something new or at least accepting that they're wrong, they turn to ad hominem and denial. Someone questioning your views is not an excuse to hurl insults and personal attacks. That's when everyone knows you've lost your ground.

If you are going to make an opinion, don't expect everyone to take it in the ass. Expect people to criticise. Expect people to comment negatively, no matter how right you think it is. People have just as much of a right to oppose me as I do them. Think cultural appropriation is a thing? Think the Holocaust is a hoax? Think the poor are lazy? Think muslims are the scum of the earth? Then don't whine if someone proves you wrong.

In the end, the truth will always come up to the surface. But only if people are brave enough to make a statement, and if people are brave enough to show them their error. That is how you make an equal society. Not by imposing rules on what to say and how to say it.

<\rant>
Original post by Prince_Paul_246
You know that at that time the English men 400 years back bathed perhaps once or twice a year, right ? Never mind that Africans had have their perfumes for centuries by thenand washed almost daily were ever water was available.

Are you seriously claiming that the entire continent of Africa behaved and acted in the same way? Most cultures went through phases of hygiene, European hygiene was particularly bad during the middle-ages and early industrial evolution, while was particularly good under the Roman Empire. Islamic society has had very good hygiene for most of it's history.

As a point, perfumes are just nice-smelling, not hygienic.

YYou do know that in 1700′s absolute majorityof the white Europeans could not read or write ?

This is true of most of the world. There are many languages today that don't even have a written language.

You do know that there were massive famines inEurope in 1800′s ?

What's your point?

You do know that it was only in 1800′s thatthe white Europeans realised that it could be a good idea to wash hands beforehelping at child birth or surgical operations or at all ?.

Were other societies aware of this before the 1800s?

Whites have the delusional idea that Greece was the 1st European/White civilization.

Again with treated those that share a skin-color as a homogeneous entity. Greece as a single entity did not really exist then, but the Minoans (who for most purposes were greek) were the first civilization in Europe.

They also claim that Egypt contributed absolutely nothing to the creation of the Greek Civilization. And if that isn’t enough, they turn around and claim Egypt as their creation as well.

I don't know anyone that claims this. Although Greece, Egypt and all the ancient civilizations influenced each other.

Also, by documenting ancient recorded dates of the Egyptian GREAT YR, which is just under 26,000 yrs in length, it has been established that the Egyptian Civilization is at least 50,000yrs old, which coinsides with Manetho’s claim.

This is absolute nonsense. Egypt as a civilization goes back to (at best) around 10,000 BC, and that's only if you accept the water erosion evidence on the Sphinx.

Furthermore, no one has explained how Europeans/Whites could have created advanced civilizations like Greece and Egypt when they had no known.

Same way as other civilizations that appeared independently.
Am I not allowed to be proud of the achievements of my race? If whites didnt innovate, who was it who developed and spread the English language, the rule of law, had the largest Empire in the history of the world, and whos inventions are used daily?

No, I did not personally help with any of these things. Doesnt mean I cant be proud of my country and my people.

Who developed the English language? A bunch of Europeans and Indians etc to a lesser extent.
Who helped spread it?
Missionaries, imperialists, merchants etc
Etc etc etc
Do you see where I'm going with this?
Also, yess, there were numerous white English inventors that had a significant impact on the world.
However, what do their achievements have to do with you? The mere fact that you share some genetic traits? It's absurd!
Original post by Lady Comstock
So long as the Bible and Qur'an are freely sold on bookshelves, with their hateful language against non-believers, homosexuals, etc., then religious people have no right to claim any special protection from insulting speech.

This is the crux of it. I would love to see someone who supports what are essentially blasphemy laws attempt to argue against this point.
Original post by BarryBeTrippin
Who developed the English language? A bunch of Europeans and Indians etc to a lesser extent.
Who helped spread it?
Missionaries, imperialists, merchants etc
Etc etc etc
Do you see where I'm going with this?
Also, yess, there were numerous white English inventors that had a significant impact on the world.
However, what do their achievements have to do with you? The mere fact that you share some genetic traits? It's absurd!

>Indians

English was a concoction of languages that was spread by Germanic invaders, and gained traction with the Norman conquest. Who helped spread it? The explorers, merchants, military men. What about everything else I listed?

Their achievements have nothing to do with me. Doesn't mean I can't be proud of what my country and people have achieved.
>Indians

English was a concoction of languages that was spread by Germanic invaders, and gained traction with the Norman conquest. Who helped spread it? The explorers, merchants, military men. What about everything else I listed?

Their achievements have nothing to do with me. Doesn't mean I can't be proud of what my country and people have achieved.

if the inventions are proof of the intelligence of whites, then slavery and genocide are proof of the great evil of whites. You cannot claim one without the other.

Many whites want to claim and take pride in the good things from their past (inventions made, battles won, rights fought for) but then act as if the bad things have nothing to do with them like slavery, genocide and rights not fought for. But you cannot have it both ways.
if the inventions are proof of the intelligence of whites, then slavery and genocide are proof of the great evil of whites. You cannot claim one without the other.

Many whites want to claim and take pride in the good things from their past (inventions made, battles won, rights fought for) but then act as if the bad things have nothing to do with them like slavery, genocide and rights not fought for. But you cannot have it both ways.

Many cultures have practiced slavery, not just whites. Blacks in Africa sold their own people to the slave merchants of the US. Something most forget. Same with genocides. And who was it who ended slavery? Oh yeah, white people.
Many cultures have practiced slavery, not just whites. Blacks in Africa sold their own people to the slave merchants of the US. Something most forget. Same with genocides. And who was it who ended slavery? Oh yeah, white people.

And there lies the hypocrisy of racist thinking

When whites do something good (EG - Inventions)

History does not matter and they don't look for others who have done the same thing. (This is true for especially black people)

When whites do something bad (EG - Slavery)

History now matters and they look for others who they think have done the same thing. (This is true for especially black people)

I repeat

(edited 8 years ago)
And there lies the silliness of racist thinking

When whites do something good (Inventions)

History does not matter and they don't look for others who have done the same thing, especially black people

When whites do something bad (Slavery)

History now matters and they look for others who have done the same thing, especially black people.

Are you calling me a racist?

You can look up who created the vast majority of inventions, theories and philosophies we use today. White people.

Am I wrong about slavery? No. Not just black people (who did practice slavery) but Muslim countries did as well. I acknowledge that whites also played their part, but they ended slavery. I never acted like whites have nothing to do with any of those things, but many cultures have committed abhorrent acts and seemingly its only whites who get the blame.
(edited 8 years ago)

You can look up who created the vast majority of inventions, theories and philosophies we use today. White people.

Am I wrong about slavery? No. Not just black people (who did practice slavery) but Muslim countries did as well. I acknowledge that whites also played their part, but they ended slavery. I never acted like whites have nothing to do with any of those things, but many cultures have done abhorrent acts and seemingly its only whites who get the blame.

I repeat

History does not matter and they don't look for others who have done the same thing. (This is true for especially black people)

History now matters and they look for others who they think have done the same thing. (This is true for especially black people)

I repeat

And you acknowledged none of the points I made. If you can't debate, don't start. Repeating yourself does nothing for you.
Reply 137
In my opinion, total free speech does not exist and should not exist.

All white people are racist.

And what is your point ? My point is that white people have been the least inventive people if you want to take in all of human history, not just cherry pick the last 200 years.

Am I wrong about slavery? No. Not just black people (who did practice slavery) but Muslim countries did as well.

No. Black people did not practice slavery (Chattel slavery) I know white racists love to use that argument.

I acknowledge that whites also played their part, but they ended slavery.

And once slavery ended slavery Racism just stopped. Right ?

I never acted like whites have nothing to do with any of those things, but many cultures have committed abhorrent acts and seemingly its only whites who get the blame.

And whites like you had nothing to do with any of the inventions that you are trying to take shine for.

Secondly - Since when did white people use Africans as moral guide to follow ? But of course white Europeans went to Africa for the Weather. Right ?
(edited 8 years ago)
All white people are racist.

And what is your point ? My point is that white people have been the least inventive people if you want to take in all of human history, not just cherry pick the last 200 years.

No. Black people did not practice slavery. I know white racists love to use that argument.

And once slavery ended slavery. Racism just stopped. Right ?

And whites like you had nothing to do with any of the inventions that you are trying to take shine for.

Secondly - Since when did white people use Africans as moral guide to follow ? But of course white Europeans went to Africa for the Weather. Right ?

>All white people are racist

hahaha right. I think you're being racist and prejudice towards white people tbh. Such bigotry.

Last 3000 years actually. If we're the least inventive, how come the West is as dominant as it is? (Fully expecting a 'because of the oppression of blacks' counter argument)

And yes, black people did practice slavery and it continues today in some parts of Africa. You're delusional if you believe otherwise. If whites have to accept the atrocities they committed in the past, so do black people.

We are discussing slavery, not racism. Did you expect everyone to wear garlands and start singing Imagine as soon as the law was enacted?

You're right, I have nothing to do with them. But I can still be proud of the achievements of my race. None of your anti-white dialogue will change that.

I think it's a good job whites don't use Africans as a moral guide. The country would turn into Detroit or Zimbabwe overnight.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending