The Student Room Group

A Level choices for law

xx
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I applied for Law this year and i would recommend that you dont only apply for Russell Group since the more you look into it, other universites are better than some. I did maths, english lit, history and design & technology at AS. I was advised not to take Law as an A level since it doesnt offer any advantage and some universities, like oxford, prefer traditional subjects. But whatever you choose make sure its something you enjoy studying
Original post by amira.izhar
I really know I want to study Law at univerisyt, preferably oxford, or any other russell group university. I have taken one AS level already, maths and got an A in it. I am choosing my options now and I am going for English Literature, Law, Biology, the EPQ and History as an AS. However, as I have already done a Maths AS should i not waste time with history? I didn't get 90% on any of the maths papers and this might be a problem for Oxford. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Oxford doesn't look at UMS as much as Cambridge I think, but instead they look more into GCSEs so make sure you get A*s. (I could be wrong, but definitely do your research)

English lit and History is a very good combination for law, I don't think your third will matter too much as long as its a traditional subject. Doing law at A-level can be bad and good - The London School of Economics (LSE) has A-level law on a list of non-preferred subjects. That means if two of your A-levels are on this list, you won’t, in theory, be considered for a place there. The subjects on this list are considered by LSE to be less effective preparation for university studies.

However, University College London (UCL) lists law as one of its preferred A-level subjects.
Reply 3
Original post by OrdinaryStudent
Oxford doesn't look at UMS as much as Cambridge I think, but instead they look more into GCSEs so make sure you get A*s. (I could be wrong, but definitely do your research)

English lit and History is a very good combination for law, I don't think your third will matter too much as long as its a traditional subject. Doing law at A-level can be bad and good - The London School of Economics (LSE) has A-level law on a list of non-preferred subjects. That means if two of your A-levels are on this list, you won’t, in theory, be considered for a place there. The subjects on this list are considered by LSE to be less effective preparation for university studies.

However, University College London (UCL) lists law as one of its preferred A-level subjects.

Thanks so much for your reply, I realise law is kind of irrelevant when doing a levels but I just have such a passion for it that iw ant to do it! Hopefully at oxford this would put me at neither an advantage or disadvantage. I'm just not sure is doing an AS this year will be beneficial
Thanks so much for your reply, I realise law is kind of irrelevant when doing a levels but I just have such a passion for it that iw ant to do it! Hopefully at oxford this would put me at neither an advantage or disadvantage. I'm just not sure is doing an AS this year will be beneficial

No problem :smile:

What grade did you get for AS Maths? And for new year 12's dont you do all examinations for AS and A2 at the end of year 13? I don't see much point in doing another AS as you already have one. Also it will allow you to concentrate more on your other subjects. However, doing another AS can be beneficial in a sense as some universities such as Manchester which is a russel group and very good uni accept two AS's as one A-level, but then again you only require 3 A-levels for uni :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
No problem :smile:

What grade did you get for AS Maths? And for new year 12's dont you do all examinations for AS and A2 at the end of year 13? I don't see much point in doing another AS as you already have one. Also it will allow you to concentrate more on your other subjects. However, doing another AS can be beneficial in a sense as some universities such as Manchester which is a russel group and very good uni accept two AS's as one A-level, but then again you only require 3 A-levels for uni :smile:

there were 3 exams in which I got an A, A and B which was an overall A but this may not be high enough for Oxford standards? So perhaps i should do history to try and get into the 90's? I'm so confused about the new A level reforms
Reply 6
Original post by Llew_Ch97
I applied for Law this year and i would recommend that you dont only apply for Russell Group since the more you look into it, other universites are better than some. I did maths, english lit, history and design & technology at AS. I was advised not to take Law as an A level since it doesnt offer any advantage and some universities, like oxford, prefer traditional subjects. But whatever you choose make sure its something you enjoy studying

Thanks for replying, i only chose law as I love it already, perhaps I should only do it for AS then? I;m worried about the overload of essays from english lit and history, how did you cope?
there were 3 exams in which I got an A, A and B which was an overall A but this may not be high enough for Oxford standards? So perhaps i should do history to try and get into the 90's? I'm so confused about the new A level reforms

A in AS Maths is more than good.

Conditional offers are made on the basis of final grades alone and not UMS scores. These offers for students studying A-levels will range between A*A*A and AAA depending on the course. Each course page gives details of the specific requirements. You may also like to see this summary of our A-level offers.Providing that any specific subject requirements have been met, all A-levels are approved for admissions purposes, with the exception of General Studies.

AS-levels and unit grades

Oxford University does not require its candidates to disclose information on unit grades. However, where applicants, schools or colleges provide AS module results (grades or marks) within the UCAS application materials, this information will be considered by tutors as part of the overall record of the candidate’s academic attainment to date.These recorded results may be used by admissions tutors as evidence of a candidate’s suitability to study at Oxford, although they will not be used in a mechanistic way to shortlist candidates for interview, or determine which candidates receive an offer. It is therefore in the interests of candidates for schools and colleges to declare AS module marks or grades if they demonstrate a candidate is performing strongly. Where it is the policy of a school or college not to certificate AS module results (or where the school no longer enters candidates for modules in year 12) this should be stated in the UCAS reference. If there is no statement then it will be assumed that it is the school or college policy to certificate AS qualifications in Year 12.Where candidates are no longer able to take AS-levels, from 2015, the University's admissions process will continue to allow effective assessment of applications, including those from candidates taking linear A-levels. Read our FAQs on A-level reforms.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/entrance-requirements?wssl=1
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm also hoping to study Law at uni.

I'm doing History, English Lit, Government & Politics, and BTEC Level 3 Applied Law.
Most Law courses don't specify subjects - they just want mega-high grades and a serious PS showing relevant experience. Yes, you can apply with 3 science subjects at some Unis.

However, useful 'prior knowledge' subjects to take are Politics, Sociology, History and any other subject that involves serious reading and essay writing - you can discuss relevant social issues in your PS and show you can cope with the type and amount of study for a Law degree. Previous study of Law is definitely not required.

Advice on applying for Law at Bristol here - http://www.bris.ac.uk/law/study/ugdegrees/ugadmissions/
Much of the info and advice (ie LNAT) applies at all Unis.
(edited 8 years ago)
A in AS Maths is more than good.

Conditional offers are made on the basis of final grades alone and not UMS scores. These offers for students studying A-levels will range between A*A*A and AAA depending on the course. Each course page gives details of the specific requirements. You may also like to see this summary of our A-level offers.Providing that any specific subject requirements have been met, all A-levels are approved for admissions purposes, with the exception of General Studies.

AS-levels and unit grades

Oxford University does not require its candidates to disclose information on unit grades. However, where applicants, schools or colleges provide AS module results (grades or marks) within the UCAS application materials, this information will be considered by tutors as part of the overall record of the candidate’s academic attainment to date.These recorded results may be used by admissions tutors as evidence of a candidate’s suitability to study at Oxford, although they will not be used in a mechanistic way to shortlist candidates for interview, or determine which candidates receive an offer. It is therefore in the interests of candidates for schools and colleges to declare AS module marks or grades if they demonstrate a candidate is performing strongly. Where it is the policy of a school or college not to certificate AS module results (or where the school no longer enters candidates for modules in year 12) this should be stated in the UCAS reference. If there is no statement then it will be assumed that it is the school or college policy to certificate AS qualifications in Year 12.Where candidates are no longer able to take AS-levels, from 2015, the University's admissions process will continue to allow effective assessment of applications, including those from candidates taking linear A-levels. Read our FAQs on A-level reforms.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/entrance-requirements?wssl=1

Thanks so much!
Original post by returnmigrant
Most Law courses don't specify subjects - they just want mega-high grades and a serious PS showing relevant experience. Yes, you can apply with 3 science subjects at some Unis.

However, useful 'prior knowledge' subjects to take are Politics, Sociology, History and any other subject that involves serious reading and essay writing - you can discuss relevant social issues in your PS and show you can cope with the type and amount of study for a Law degree. Previous study of Law is definitely not required.

Advice on applying for Law at Bristol here - http://www.bris.ac.uk/law/study/ugdegrees/ugadmissions/
Much of the info and advice (ie LNAT) applies at all Unis.

Do you think that studying law then would put me at any disadvantage? Thank you

However, doing another AS can be beneficial in a sense as some universities such as Manchester which is a russel group and very good uni accept two AS's as one A-level, but then again you only require 3 A-levels for uni

I just checked again, and actually this is wrong, Manchester doesn't accept 2 AS-levels as one A level - this being said I think the best thing you can do is speak to your teachers at school they will help the most :smile: sorry for the mistake
As from next year 2 x AS do not equal 1 x A2 as they do at the moment. This is because once AS becomes a stand-alone qualification they will be worth fewer UCAS points : https://www.ucas.com/advisers/guides-and-resources/tariff-2017
UPDATE:
I am not going to do an AS due to it not being counted, so what 3 A levels should I do for law at a russell group uni (hopefully oxford)? My choices are Biology, History, Law and English Lit. English Lit and Biology are definite choices. My issues are:
The workload for History and English Lit will be a lot together
Law is not a facilitating subject and LSE looks at it unfavorably.
Assistance would be much appreciated!
UPDATE:
I am not going to do an AS due to it not being counted, so what 3 A levels should I do for law at a russell group uni (hopefully oxford)? My choices are Biology, History, Law and English Lit. English Lit and Biology are definite choices. My issues are:
Law is not a facilitating subject and LSE looks at it unfavorably.
Assistance would be much appreciated!

As levels are useful for universities though for predicted grades etc
Original post by OddFuturez
As levels are useful for universities though for predicted grades etc

I have done a Maths AS already
I have done a Maths AS already

Lol fair enough

I'm doing both Lit and History right now, and I'll confirm that the workload for History is about 3x that of Lit.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
I'm doing both Lit and History right now, and I'll confirm that the workload for History is about 3x that of Lit.

A2 history doesn't look that appealing to me along with AS lit, what are you looking to do in the future? I'd love to hear about your experience with those two subjects

Quick Reply

Latest