The Student Room Group

How did you become fluent in speaking English ? I am in a dilemma!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Andy98
Hahahaha, as a native - you don't reach that point, I haven't

Posted from TSR Mobile

I get what you mean but it is so fustrating to not know basic words like "stapler" or " rope". When I am having a normal conversation I need to be able to know these words
Also, I don't know if this will help or if it really works but I have heard that you can tell whether you are fluent in any language by seeing if you can have a phone conversation in that language and are able to describe how to tie shoe laces in that language. And if you are really good at a language, you will be able to dream in it. From what I have read, you seem pretty fluent in English to me.
Original post by DamaroDum
Can you suggest me any books which you felt were extremely effective in improving your English.
And do you sometimes forget basic words like " rake" or " dustpan"

It was a continuous process,so it's difficult to pinpoint a specific book. Some were books I had already read in French,and I'd re-read them again in English. I read all types of books,including classics like A Picture of Dorian Grey, Pride and Prejudice, Catcher in the Rye etc.. The English in those books is more difficult than present day colloquial English,but it really improves your understanding of the language and introduces you a wide range of vocabulary. Just read whichever books you think you'll enjoy. Also, I am huge lover of literature and read a lot poetry. This is a step further than reading ordinary books, but to be able to understand how meaning is shaped through language choices is a great skill and is a real test of how much you understand a language. I now write some of my poems in English, and native English speakers always joke about how I'm able to write better than them despite having English as a 2nd language.
Occasionally, the French word usually comes to my head first before the English translation.

Don't be too hard on yourself.You'll definitely get better over time
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Andy98
Hahahaha, as a native - you don't reach that point, I haven't

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can do it easily, sit down and read RLS back to front out loud and you won't be making many mistakes anymore.
Reply 24
Original post by childofthesun
It was a continuous process,so it's difficult to pinpoint a specific book. Some were books I had already read in French,and I'd re-read them again in English. I read all types of books,including classics like A Picture of Dorian Grey, Pride and Prejudice, Catcher in the Rye etc.. The English in those books is more difficult than present day colloquial English,but it really improves your understanding of the language and introduces you a wide range of vocabulary. Just read whichever books you think you'll enjoy. Also, I am huge lover of literature and read a lot poetry. This is a step further than reading ordinary books, but to be able to understand how meaning is shaped through language choices is a great skill and is a real test of how much you understand a language. I now write some of my poems in English, and native English speakers always joke about how I'm able to write better than them despite having English as a 2nd language.
Occasionally, the French word usually comes to my head first before the English translation.

Don't be too hard on yourself.You'll definitely get better over time

Just one last thing. Do you feel that your written English got better through reading these books, or did you practice separately for your written English.
Reply 25
Original post by niv1234
Also, I don't know if this will help or if it really works but I have heard that you can tell whether you are fluent in any language by seeing if you can have a phone conversation in that language and are able to describe how to tie shoe laces in that language. And if you are really good at a language, you will be able to dream in it. From what I have read, you seem pretty fluent in English to me.

never. neither in Spanish or English
Hi

So I am in a dilemma. I was born in Spain and spent my childhood there, and one would assume that my mother tongue is Spanish. However at the age of 10 I moves to England. I became so fixated and concentrated in learning English that I neglected my Spanish. My Spanish is pretty bad. However the issue I am facing right now is that I am not happy with my English despite living 6 years in England. I feel like that I am not fluent. Whenever I speak English I often have to pause and use fillers because I have to think and find the suitable words, and sometimes I cant think of the word. I also sometimes struggle to express my feeling and thought that I have in my head on a piece of paper or orally as I struggle to make coherent sentences or I cant think of the accurate verbs and nouns. Sometimes I forget basic words like " rope " or "shoelaces"

I want to make English my first language. I have decided that I want to spend my whole life in the UK and altough I want to improve my Spanish but I want to be fluent in my English just like a native speaker is fluent in his language.

How did you become fluent in speaking English? Fleunt that if you are asked a question you dont have to pause or depend of fillers like " err" to think of the right word. Furthermore, to be able to express whatyou are thinking in your head on a piece of paper

How? Please tell if anyone has experience

I moved to the UK when I was 8 and I can speak fluently, though I do have an accent. You should just learn it tbh in 6 years...

Do you speak English at school with your friends? if no then speak. Watch English news/movies etc.
Reply 27
I get what you mean but it is so fustrating to not know basic words like "stapler" or " rope". When I am having a normal conversation I need to be able to know these words

Yeah I get ya - I've worn glasses as long as I can remember but the other day that was the word I blanked

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by Andy98
Yeah I get ya - I've worn glasses as long as I can remember but the other day that was the word I blanked

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol
but u blanked but i could not remember the word because my english is not on point
Reply 29
lol
but u blanked but i could not remember the word because my english is not on point

That's what I mean by blanked

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
seriously someone told me this forum is extremely active and replies are as quick as the big bang. but no one is replying
I moved to England when I was 6 but I'd say mainly from watching British TV and having most things in English, my country doesn't produce any TV shows or movies so most films I watched had to be in English or French.
Reply 32
more replies bitches
Reply 33
Original post by Dinasaurus
I moved to England when I was 6 but I'd say mainly from watching British TV and having most things in English, my country doesn't produce any TV shows or movies so most films I watched had to be in English or French.

good for u:mmm::mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am in the exact situation as you. But for me, it is only with teachers really. If they ask me a question in the lesson, I will not be able to answer it fluently but I know it is one of the drawback of studying too much. My accent slipped so much as well and I hate it cuz I am stayed in the UK for a long time as well. But I don't really blame myself, after all I can still communicate, it's just that info from textbook has taken up a big chunk space in my brain. I would say just try not care about it too much and talk without rehearsing it too much. After all its you second language.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending