The Student Room Group

Medicine or Engineering?

Ive always thought of doing Medicine, but could never understand why; lately I've started thinking about engineering but I don't have Further Maths and that puts me off it slightly and makes it harder for me to get into a better Uni for engineering. Work Experience is really hard for me to find for engineering but Ive already done quite a few placements for medicine and they've been okay. I know they are both on quite different paths and I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on the two. Thanks
Which one do you like the prospects of? Which one do you think you'd enjoy more. Ultimately the decision can only be yours.
Original post by Uni12345678
Ive always thought of doing Medicine, but could never understand why; lately I've started thinking about engineering but I don't have Further Maths and that puts me off it slightly and makes it harder for me to get into a better Uni for engineering. Work Experience is really hard for me to find for engineering but Ive already done quite a few placements for medicine and they've been okay. I know they are both on quite different paths and I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on the two. Thanks

I wouldn't commit to medicine if its not something you really want to do, sounds like the only reason you're even considering medicine is because you've done some placements but medicine is something you're pretty much committing the rest of your life to and you want to be passionate about your career not just think theyre okay
This was exactly what I asked my self when applying to uni. I wrote up a personal statement did all the relevant work experience and just before sending off my ucas application something didn't feel right, other people felt so certain of thier choices but for me there was that small doubt that little voice of uncertainity and then I decided to go for what I wanted to go into if I didn't go for medicine. So I applied to Chemical engineering because I've always loved Chemistry and also applied to Medical engineering and now I got offers for both. I enjoyed the aspect of medical engineering so much I visited a stem research lab and I found it so fascinating but in terms of prospects Chem eng offered more job prospects.

And now I have no doubt that's how I know I chose right. Even if you have any doubts just make sure you stop and actually ask yourself is this what you really want to do? Even after 5 years will you still feel the same??

If you need to ask any questions just PM me :h:
(edited 8 years ago)
if you're having second thoughts about medicine, do you really want to do medicine enough?
Engineers are in demand atm, so job prospects might be better. A lot of engineers if they go to the private sector can have loads of opportunities to travel the world also if that appeals
Original post by Uni12345678

Tbh it needs to be your decision.

I wouldn't let yourself be swayed by the tiny number of random responses you will get on here.
Original post by Llew_Ch97
Engineers are in demand atm, so job prospects might be better. A lot of engineers if they go to the private sector can have loads of opportunities to travel the world also if that appeals

Theres always going to be job prospects for medics too so thats irrelevant. To the OP, no one on here can convince you what to do I recommend thinking it through for a few weeks before making your decision both are excellent choices though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TomFitness
Theres always going to be job prospects for medics too so thats irrelevant. To the OP, no one on here can convince you what to do I recommend thinking it through for a few weeks before making your decision both are excellent choices though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldnt say its irrelevant, there was something about over the last 3 or 4 years, people are trying to recruit more engineers than before, whereas medicine jobs have stayed at a consistent level since they already have plenty of applicants or something along those lines
Original post by Llew_Ch97
I wouldnt say its irrelevant, there was something about over the last 3 or 4 years, people are trying to recruit more engineers than before, whereas medicine jobs have stayed at a consistent level since they already have plenty of applicants or something along those lines

I understand what you mean but at the end of the day the OP definitely shouldnt consider which degree based on job prospects especially between these two degrees where employability is rediculously high.
Original post by TomFitness
I understand what you mean but at the end of the day the OP definitely shouldnt consider which degree based on job prospects especially between these two degrees where employability is rediculously high.

Oh yeah i get that, im just mentioning it because graduate prospects is a factor for some people when considering what course
further maths is not essential, maths is and physics to
Original post by alkaline.
if you're having second thoughts about medicine, do you really want to do medicine enough?

I understand what you mean, I was thinking the same. However I think that anyone who chooses medicine ought to think twice anyway, because it's not something you can just throw yourself into and if you do, you will be compromising a patients welfare. I believe that if I don't think about my motivation for it and go into it without giving other careers enough thought, I will be compromising the responsibility I have for a patient and I will not be the best doctor I can be.

Quick Reply

Latest