The Student Room Group

46% of people in England don't believe in free speech

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mightybis0n
>Indians

English was a concoction of languages that was spread by Germanic invaders, and gained traction with the Norman conquest. Who helped spread it? The explorers, merchants, military men. What about everything else I listed?

Their achievements have nothing to do with me. Doesn't mean I can't be proud of what my country and people have achieved.

What I meant by my reference to India is that some words used in English come from a variety of cultures, though largely from germanic culture.
Was just trying to point out that you're over generalizing.
What you've said however is more or less true, but the fact you take pride in things that have nothing to do with you surprises me.
Why is this "your country"? Who are "your people"? And why would you feel pride in the actions of one of "your people"?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BristolFresher15
Technically, Donald Trump will be the best president of the US ever from their own perspective; because he's the embodiment of everything wrong with that country - that's why they love him.

Yeah... but no.
>All white people are racist

hahaha right. I think you're being racist and prejudice towards white people tbh. Such bigotry.

Last 3000 years actually. If we're the least inventive, how come the West is as dominant as it is? (Fully expecting a 'because of the oppression of blacks' counter argument)

And yes, black people did practice slavery and it continues today in some parts of Africa. You're delusional if you believe otherwise. If whites have to accept the atrocities they committed in the past, so do black people.

We are discussing slavery, not racism. Did you expect everyone to wear garlands and start singing Imagine as soon as the law was enacted?

You're right, I have nothing to do with them. But I can still be proud of the achievements of my race. None of your anti-white dialogue will change that.

I think it's a good job whites don't use Africans as a moral guide. The country would turn into Detroit or Zimbabwe overnight.

Let's be real, mixed race master race.
Original post by BarryBeTrippin
What I meant by my reference to India is that some words used in English come from a variety of cultures, though largely from germanic culture.
Was just trying to point out that you're over generalizing.
What you've said however is more or less true, but the fact you take pride in things that have nothing to do with you surprises me.
Why is this "your country"? Who are "your people"? And why would you feel pride in the actions of one of "your people"?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Vast majority from germanic culture, but also influenced by latin, french etc.

I'm guessing you're one of those 'one race no borders' kinda guys.

I was born here, and I share values and ancestral history with (most) of the people which inhabit it. Is it wrong to be proud of people from this country who have written epics, composed masterpieces, created wonders? I had no hand in any of it, but I am proud nonetheless.
I'm not sure on my opinion on free speech. Being a Jew, it is a difficult question. While I respect peoples right to voice their own opinion, does this mean that I believe that people that openly offend or shout hate speech (e.g: The Auschwitz-Birkenau Death Camp was actually a Holiday Park Hitler started to help the Jews) at me?

I'm unsure... and also, does free speech lead to the rise and strength of hate groups, such as the KKK or does it actually do the opposite?
Original post by Dinasaurus
Let's be real, mixed race master race.

Mitchell Lel.jpg
Mitchell Lel.jpg

Being inbred is not good, exposing yourself to more possible genes is healthier in general, it is the future.
Being inbred is not good, exposing yourself to more possible genes is healthier in general, it is the future.

Thx but no thx

Not for my children it isn't
Thx but no thx

Not for my children it isn't

Are you saying you'd have a problem with your child marrying out of their race?
Are you saying you'd have a problem with your child marrying out of their race?

I'm not going down this 'muh racist' ridden avenue, thanks
I'm not going down this 'muh racist' ridden avenue, thanks

You wouldn't say otherwise, so you actually are a racist. Wow.
You wouldn't say otherwise, so you actually are a racist. Wow.

Nah, I'm not. Just traditional. Old fashioned.
>All white people are racisthahaha right. I think you're being racist and prejudice towards white people tbh. Such bigotry.

I believe that all white people (and even people of colour) raised in a society where racism has been (and still is) so prevalent will have internalized elements of racist thinking: certain beliefs, stereotypes, assumptions, and judgements about others and themselves.

So in countries where beliefs in European/white superiority and domination have been historically embedded, it is likely that everyone in such places will have ingested some of that conditioning.

Last 3000 years actually. If we're the least inventive, how come the West is as dominant as it is? (Fully expecting a 'because of the oppression of blacks' counter argument)

In many ways white Europeans got lucky.

Everything fell into place for them. They acquired gunpowder and the compass from the Chinese. Marco Polo got it from China and as soon as whites got a hold of it. They used it to kill people.

This allowed them to have superior weaponry and sea-worthy ships that could sail across rough seas. The tribal conflict among blacks and native-american exposure to disease, prevented them from forming an effective counter-offensive.

Plus the fact that white Europeans never done a Rambo on Africa or USA. The natives could have had an upper hand because they knew the land and could use traps and ambush better the gun carriers.

But they were decimated by the cowards, that were claiming peace and friendship and then performed sneak attacks on the unsuspecting natives…all while the natives were dying off from the diseases that they brought with them as well.

And yes, black people did practice slavery and it continues today in some parts of Africa. You're delusional if you believe otherwise. If whites have to accept the atrocities they committed in the past, so do black people.

Africans were no more selling “their own” than whites were killing “their own” during the Holocaust. Plus most African countries did not sell slaves and some even fought against it.

But because Europeans back then could control the supply of guns there was little Africans could do to stop it.

Was their slavery in Africa ?

It was fairly common for Africans to keep other Africans (as in prisoners of war) as slaves, but this was nothing like the slavery that took place in the US, Caribbean, West Indies, South America.

There was no chopping off people hands who tried to read, slitting pregnant women stomach open and that's not even mentioning the many who died in the middle passage.

Slavery in Africa was more of an indentured servitude with a beginning and an end. Many slaves ended up marrying into the families they served. What’s important to note here is that slaves maintained their humanity and were not born into slavery.

The child of a slave was born free. Where as the slavery in the Americas was different beast.

Not just because of slavery, that was just the starting point. But because white supremacy would not allow themselves to see blacks as humans and it carried on long after the slave trade was abolished.

Although the slave trade was abolished, slavery was not. So, those whites who wanted to do the “cool” thing at the time and be “progressive” said ”Sure, we’ll stop bringing slaves over from Africa, but I’ll be damned if I give up the ones raising my children and tending my land.”

The central impact of the African Transatlantic Slave you nonchalantly brush aside is the LEGACY. And its that legacy that connects us and everyone else posting in this forum today and will continue until the day its resolved or addressed.

You cannot (and here is the challenge if you are up for it) point to any other form of slavery (present, past or pre-historic) that has had such an immense and global impact on this planet than the African Holocaust.

You can debate every other form and type there is or has been and then ask yourself why are we not discussing or talking about it here right now ?What is the LEGACY of the African Transatlantic Slave trade ?

This was the equivalent of wiping out a sizable portion of the planet and just starting again. But not just starting again in the same place. Starting in numerous places scattered all over the rest of the world.
(edited 8 years ago)
Nah, I'm not. Just traditional. Old fashioned.

I know plenty of traditional, old fashioned people who aren't anti-race mixing wow. Well you do you then.
Original post by Saoirse:3
What limits? And why?

It should be illegal in the UK, within any institution that benefits from public funding or tax breaks, to indoctrinate any child under the age of 18 into any religion.

Religious education should be limited to one hour per week, teach the basics of all the main belief systems (including deism and atheism) as well as less common ones, historical and extinct ones (e.g. Incas, Aztecs, Babylonians, Egyptians, Norse, Shamanism), not involve indoctrination. Rote learning of religious texts in places of worship and schools affiliated to them should be illegal.

The reason is obvious: superstitious belief is one of the biggest factors holding man back from his full potential.
Original post by Prince_Paul_246
if the inventions are proof of the intelligence of whites, then slavery and genocide are proof of the great evil of whites.

You do realise that the European and Arab slave traders, in general, only bought their slaves from the Africans that had already enslaved them, don't you? I'm not claiming that is any less blameworthy, but the Africans were generally enslaved by other Africans.
Vast majority from germanic culture, but also influenced by latin, french etc.

I'm guessing you're one of those 'one race no borders' kinda guys.

I was born here, and I share values and ancestral history with (most) of the people which inhabit it. Is it wrong to be proud of people from this country who have written epics, composed masterpieces, created wonders? I had no hand in any of it, but I am proud nonetheless.

Borders are created by rulers to mark out their territory. I believe in property (your house, lands etc), but a country's borders appear trivial for anyone but the ruler of a country.

So you're proud of the achievements of certain English people, because you share some ancestral links with them? Still seems absurd. Perhaps this pride is purely founded on emotion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Prince_Paul_246
if the inventions are proof of the intelligence of whites, then slavery and genocide are proof of the great evil of whites. You cannot claim one without the other.

Many whites want to claim and take pride in the good things from their past (inventions made, battles won, rights fought for) but then act as if the bad things have nothing to do with them like slavery, genocide and rights not fought for. But you cannot have it both ways.

I completely agree. While the societal climate allowed such inventions to flourish, it was that same climate that allowed slavery and other horrible acts to flourish as well. Either way, the actions and inventions of Europeans are not the responsibility or accomplishment of all Europeans.

You cannot claim heritage just because you share a skin colour.
Original post by Good bloke
It should be illegal in the UK, within any institution that benefits from public funding or tax breaks, to indoctrinate any child under the age of 18 into any religion.

Religious education should be limited to one hour per week, teach the basics of all the main belief systems (including deism and atheism) as well as less common ones, historical and extinct ones (e.g. Incas, Aztecs, Babylonians, Egyptians, Norse, Shamanism), not involve indoctrination. Rote learning of religious texts in places of worship and schools affiliated to them should be illegal.

The reason is obvious: superstitious belief is one of the biggest factors holding man back from his full potential.

I'd largely agree with that, but it absolutely isn't limiting the freedom of speech of religious people, just not using the state to fund and support it! I'd say you'd need more than an hour a week to cover a syllabus that wide though. And the part I disagree with is banning the "rote learning of religious texts in places of worship" - that isn't generally what happens anyway but so long as it's not publicly funded and people aren't forced to go there they should be able to teach their faith as they please.

(As a religious person myself I also disagree with the reason you give, but I support secularism all the same :smile: )
Original post by BarryBeTrippin
Borders are created by rulers to mark out their territory. I believe in property (your house, lands etc), but a country's borders appear trivial for anyone but the ruler of a country.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your property rights are enforced by said rulers. They are tied up to the state you live in. It's all part and parcel.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending