The Student Room Group

Iain Duncan Smith Resigns

Scroll to see replies

I feel bad for him, maybe these cuts were not the best idea hmmm.
Original post by Rakas21

The shroud of the dark side has fallen, the Tory civil war has now begun.

:yum:
It's quite disappointing that he would leave over such a small disagreement. Nevertheless, I think he did a good job as Work and Pensions Secretary and I admire the way he stood up for his own views (e.g. campaigning to leave the EU).
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Laughable, given the many many disabled people that have suffered on his watch. Good riddance, piece of scum.

He is merely someone with a different fiscal outlook from you. That is all. This hysterical language is not warranted really.
Has he resigned as MP or just from the cabinet? Will another by-election be held in his constituency what will happen?
Original post by xxvine
the guy is evil
dont believe it for one second to be because of the cuts.....didn't he once say people can live on £7 a day or something?

Guy is evil to the core/

Well, you can. It's not hard- I hope you realise that he means £7 without counting rent, insurance and electricity and water, so mainly just for shopping and food. If you want to earn more than that, get a better paid job. Benefits are not supposed to allow you to live a comfortable life- just to stop you from begging and stealing food.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by Rakas21
As a Tory who almost left for the Lib Dems over welfare and immigration/EU in 2013 i'd like to believe that IDS as incompotent as he may be has seen the error of his ways.. unfortunately, that's not the case.

This is simply a direct attack at Osbourne from a man who hates him and wants to save his career in a Boris government.

The shroud of the dark side has fallen, the Tory civil war has now begun.

exactly lol at his excuse

this guy has been evil to those less off for years....no sympathy whatsoever even for those who are actually sick.
Original post by Dinasaurus
Has he resigned as MP or just from the cabinet? Will another by-election be held in his constituency what will happen?

Just the cabinet.
Delicious. So delicious
Original post by Trapz99
Just the cabinet.

Oh good, but this will not be good for the polls, I even read that one poll had Labour above Conservatives, seems unlikely but with all these squabbling over the EU and this new budget, it could be likely.
Reply 30
Of course he isn't going to resign as an MP. The pay & benefits are far too good for that.

As for disability benefits, if only our clueless government binned their 0.7 percent pledge to International Aid and plunged it back into our country, perhaps it wouldn't be necessary to cut it.
Oh good, but this will not be good for the polls, I even read that one poll had Labour above Conservatives, seems unlikely but with all these squabbling over the EU and this new budget, it could be likely.

Last 4 polls have had the Tory vote share falling by 3-6% indicating that the public are pretty displeased over this EU/Leadership fight.
Original post by Rakas21
Last 4 polls have had the Tory vote share falling by 3-6% indicating that the public are pretty displeased over this EU/Leadership fight.

I'm hoping that after the referendum, everything settles down.

Has Cameron explicitly stated that if we vote out he will step down? I see a lot of people saying Corbyn is preparing for a flash election or Boris could be PM by winter? Is their any weight to this?
I'm hoping that after the referendum, everything settles down.

Has Cameron explicitly stated that if we vote out he will step down? I see a lot of people saying Corbyn is preparing for a flash election or Boris could be PM by winter? Is their any weight to this?

The majority of the Tory membership is Euro-skeptic so the logic is that if the sitting PM loses the referendum then he would be obligated to resign on the basis that the leader of the In campaign could not possibly lead the exit negotiations and also because as we are seeing now, the party is moving towards civil war as the EU debate has being hijacked by the Boris-Osbourne leadership fight. A new leader would be needed.

There'll be no election before 2020 (fixed term act) but you know who this is helping... May. While Boris and Osbourne are starting to tear into each other via proxy (this was IDS simply picking a side), May is happily sitting backing looking professional and will no doubt eventually try call for unity and the like to make herself look good.
Original post by Rakas21
The majority of the Tory membership is Euro-skeptic so the logic is that if the sitting PM loses the referendum then he would be obligated to resign on the basis that the leader of the In campaign could not possibly lead the exit negotiations and also because as we are seeing now, the party is moving towards civil war as the EU debate has being hijacked by the Boris-Osbourne leadership fight. A new leader would be needed.

There'll be no election before 2020 (fixed term act) but you know who this is helping... May. While Boris and Osbourne are starting to tear into each other via proxy (this was IDS simply picking a side), May is happily sitting backing looking professional and will no doubt eventually try call for unity and the like to make herself look good.

How will the new leader be determined? Public vote or party vote?

Surely if the people vote, Boris would win easily. A lot of people I know hate May, but I guess that is mainly young people who use the internet, I guess older generations might see it differently.
I think it would be stupid to think this is about his feud with Osborne or the referendum on its own.

The moment I heard of these cuts I thought to myself wtf...... And I'm far from left wing.

I think he thinks the cuts are wrong, he doesn't want this on his record, he doesn't want the Conservative party to be seen as the nasty party by its supporters, it damages osbournes leadership ambitions and gives him publicity as a leading leave campaigner.

In short a no brainier for someone coming towards the end of their career.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How will the new leader be determined? Public vote or party vote?

Surely if the people vote, Boris would win easily. A lot of people I know hate May, but I guess that is mainly young people who use the internet, I guess older generations might see it differently.

Tory MP's vote and then the top two candidates are put to the party membership.

Assuming that the candidates are from those with government experience then May will get the backing of the right of the party and get through to the membership vote that way. Osbourne and Boris are ideologically similar so it could be either of them albeit Osbourne has more allies in parliament than Boris.
Original post by paul514

In short a no brainier for someone coming towards the end of their career.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doesn't want to go to hell. He's a catholic and can feel those red hot pokers getting dangerously close to his ass already.

In all seriousness he has had plenty of opportunity to be disgusted at how disabled people are being treated by this government. He's playing the politics game.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21
Tory MP's vote and then the top two candidates are put to the party membership.

Assuming that the candidates are from those with government experience then May will get the backing of the right of the party and get through to the membership vote that way. Osbourne and Boris are ideologically similar so it could be either of them albeit Osbourne has more allies in parliament than Boris.

In that case, Osbourne isn't very popular so I guess May would win.
Reply 39
Original post by Trapz99
Well, you can. It's not hard- I hope you realise that he means £7 without counting rent, insurance and electricity and water, so mainly just for shopping and food. If you want to earn more than that, get a better paid job. Benefits are not supposed to allow you to live a comfortable life- just to stop you from begging and stealing food.

what about if you can't work because you have a disability or are you one of those who looks through the right wing hole and everything is your own fault?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending