The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by baconwoo
just got rejected from durham because they considered my lnat to be too low: i got 25

Did they say it could have been due to the essay?
Original post by Llew_Ch97
Bristol offered me AAB and i withdrew from Warwick cause they were taking too long and they weren't my first or second choice

Why would you choose Lancaster over either Bristol or Warwick?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *Stefan*
Why would you choose Lancaster over either Bristol or Warwick?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Warwick were too slow to reply, plus Lancaster offered me an unconditional offer, it's also ranked top 10 in the UK overall. I know that Bristol is Russell Group but as a University, Lancaster is ranked better, albeit not at law
Warwick were too slow to reply, plus Lancaster offered me an unconditional offer, it's also ranked top 10 in the UK overall. I know that Bristol is Russell Group but as a University, Lancaster is ranked better, albeit not at law

League tables aren't everything
And you should look at subject specific league tables because that's what you are studying
Original post by qwertyuipdoe
League tables aren't everything
And you should look at subject specific league tables because that's what you are studying

I looked at many different tables, i visited all the universities, i attended a taster lecture for each one. I did all the reasearch i could. If i hadnt received an unconditional, i would probably be applying to Bristol now, but the amount of stress an unconditional takes off my shoulders is tremendous, and it's an extremely good university. It was just impossible for me to turn it down
Original post by qwertyuipdoe
Did they say it could have been due to the essay?

no the actual score
no the actual score

Any clue which uni you're going to firm?
Original post by Cholesta
Yes definitely! There is no way that you would firm Durham and insure Kings. Just make sure you work hard and get those much needed grades. I've said the same to my son. Having said that it is more difficult to get an A* in English as it is so subjective. Keep working🙏🏻🙏🏻🍀🍀

Thanks again Cholesta! :-)

If reputation was your main criteria, you've made a terrible mistake.
(edited 8 years ago)
If reputation was you main criteria, you've made a terrible mistake.

If reputation was my main criteria i would've applied for Oxford, Kings, Durham etc in the first place. I think refusing an unconditional from a top 10 university would've worked out to be a bigger mistake than accepting it if im honest
If reputation was my main criteria i would've applied for Oxford, Kings, Durham etc in the first place. I think refusing an unconditional from a top 10 university would've worked out to be a bigger mistake than accepting it if im honest

In what way do you think Durham or KCL is better than Bristol when it comes to reputation?

You obviously didn't apply to Oxford because you didn't have the grades - otherwise you wouldn't be so scared to accept an unconditional (which is just a gimmick for universities being in clearing all the time).

Lancaster is NOT a top 10 uni for law, or overall, in any sense of the word. It only ranks well in the rankings because of the ridiculous "student satisfaction" helps it climb up - everything else is just mediocre.

This is the most reliable source for law - http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities

Obviously it has its drawbacks too, but rankings are a joke.

Nonetheless, best of luck with Lancaster - hope you don't regret it down the line.
In what way do you think Durham or KCL is better than Bristol when it comes to reputation?

You obviously didn't apply to Oxford because you didn't have the grades - otherwise you wouldn't be so scared to accept an unconditional (which is just a gimmick for universities being in clearing all the time).

Lancaster is NOT a top 10 uni for law, or overall, in any sense of the word. It only ranks well in the rankings because of the ridiculous "student satisfaction" helps it climb up - everything else is just mediocre.

This is the most reliable source for law - http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities

Obviously it has its drawbacks too, but rankings are a joke.

Nonetheless, best of luck with Lancaster - hope you don't regret it down the line.

I never said they were better than Bristol i just said that they also have good reputation. Oxford asked for 3 A's on their website which isnt a problem for me, my predicted grades are A*AA if you cared to ask. Don't assume my grades arent good enough. I decided not to apply for Oxford because of their rigorous application process. Kings i didnt apply for because the costs of living in London, same with UCL. Lancaster is ranked very high overall by many different university guides. I never said it was top 10 for law. I could reject the unconditional to Lancaster and go for Bristol and I would most probably get the grades, its only AAB, but I preferred Lancaster as a university. Im not scared of not achieving the grades like you claim, i took the unconditional for my own reasons. Bristol is a great uni and im assuming you're applying there? If so congrats, i hope you get the AAA standard offer required for entry, if that is what you were offered
I never said they were better than Bristol i just said that they also have good reputation. Oxford asked for 3 A's on their website which isnt a problem for me, my predicted grades are A*AA if you cared to ask. Don't assume my grades arent good enough. I decided not to apply for Oxford because of their rigorous application process. Kings i didnt apply for because the costs of living in London, same with UCL. Lancaster is ranked very high overall by many different university guides. I never said it was top 10 for law. I could reject the unconditional to Lancaster and go for Bristol and I would most probably get the grades, its only AAB, but I preferred Lancaster as a university. Im not scared of not achieving the grades like you claim, i took the unconditional for my own reasons. Bristol is a great uni and im assuming you're applying there? If so congrats, i hope you get the AAA standard offer required for entry, if that is what you were offered

Look, apologies if it came off aggressively - I did not mean it as such.

The AAA for Oxford is obviously just a minor thing - there are many more aspects in terms of academics for one to apply.

You need to ignore the rankings guides - they're absolute jokes. Some may place Surrey higher than Imperial for maths. Will you take that seriously?

I just said that because of you - if you intend to become a solicitor, Lancaster will hardly make the cut. You can check the firms going to their law firms - it's all you need really.
Look, apologies if it came off aggressively - I did not mean it as such.

The AAA for Oxford is obviously just a minor thing - there are many more aspects in terms of academics for one to apply.

You need to ignore the rankings guides - they're absolute jokes. Some may place Surrey higher than Imperial for maths. Will you take that seriously?

I just said that because of you - if you intend to become a solicitor, Lancaster will hardly make the cut. You can check the firms going to their law firms - it's all you need really.

It's almost impossible to make the cut as a solicitor anyway after uni, job prospects in law are quite low now, i chose law as a course because it opens up many doors within the private sector and i know you disagree with me on this but Lancaster does have a strong academic presence and is a well respected institute. Im sorry if i overreacted to your comment, i thought you were targeting my academic achievements
It's almost impossible to make the cut as a solicitor anyway after uni, job prospects in law are quite low now, i chose law as a course because it opens up many doors within the private sector and i know you disagree with me on this but Lancaster does have a strong academic presence and is a well respected institute. Im sorry if i overreacted to your comment, i thought you were targeting my academic achievements

Alright then - best of luck with whatever your career path is. I do hope you realise your plans!
Alright then - best of luck with whatever your career path is. I do hope you realise your plans!

I know you're just trying to help, but dont worry, i researched the whole thing thoroughly and i admit i had my reservations about accepting a non russell group university but i have it planned 😊
just got rejected from durham because they considered my lnat to be too low: i got 25

Are you a UK student as our average is 23.3. International average is 26 and that would explain things
Original post by Cholesta
Are you a UK student as our average is 23.3. International average is 26 and that would explain things

How'd you find the international average?? I have a 26
Anyone else still waiting on Nottingham?!

Hmm, I thought Durham stated on their website that no minimum score is required for the multiple choice part of the LNAT

Latest

Trending

Trending