The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London

Biomedical & Health Science - Course Ambassador Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hello,
Thanks for all the info about MS Uni.
I am an international student,(mature prospective student) currently living in London. I have a Masters in Biotechnology.
I am interested in applying for an MPHIL in Biological Sciences. Can you give me a bit of feedback about MPhil Research there?
Also what are my chances getting accepted, considering I am a mature student?
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London
Reply 41
Original post by biostudy
Hello,
Thanks for all the info about MS Uni.
I am an international student,(mature prospective student) currently living in London. I have a Masters in Biotechnology.
I am interested in applying for an MPHIL in Biological Sciences. Can you give me a bit of feedback about MPhil Research there?
Also what are my chances getting accepted, considering I am a mature student?

Hi Biostudy,
Thanks for asking me!
please note that I am still on my undergraduate degree and the information that I could offer it would not be sufficient as a final answers.

MDX offer several MPhil research based course, to find more information about the area of research and the ways to apply please visit the following link: http://www.mdx.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate-research-degrees/mphil-and-phd-biology-and-biomedical-sciences

I am sorry that I could not have answered you question completely, I hope you will find relevant answers in the link provided.
Good luck!

Mohamed Farah
Middlesex University Course Ambassador
Biomedical and Healthcare Science
Reply 42
Hello everyone and welcome again to my weekly update.

Week beginning 14/03/16

Last week Middlesex University hosted the British Science Week a STEM Festival, offering the local community the opportunity to take part in various interactive activities and demonstrations, focussing on Science,Technology, Engineering and Mathematics.

The Natural Science department has exhibited exceptional activities and demonstration. Attendees had the chance to see how our frontline researcher do their work in vitro.Departments of cancer and cell biology, microbiology, biochemistry and molecular biology have all independently demonstrated their works.

On another note, my academic life in MDX is getting busy with hectic schedule. Exams are just a month away, lecturers need their work done before ester, and my dissertation proposal is due in early May. However,there is brighter picture than the one I just drew. Actually we are getting more support from lecturers and staff, also MDX has arrange several of workshops to boost students’ confidence.

That is it for this week see you all next week

Mohamed Farah
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 43
Hello everyone,

Welcome again to the biomedical and healthcare science weekly update at MDX.

This week was the last week before students go onto their Easter holidays, lecturers and staff of MDX was giving the last minutes advices and tips on how to revise for exams. In fact, the learning enhancement unit within MDX has lunched workshops that called ‘Revise-wise’, the aim from these workshops were to left-up student-exam spirit and maximise the level of their readiness. With the help of experts and students from different courses, the event was extremely helpful and has met all its objective in terms of students satisfactory and expectation. As a result, great numbers of student have involved and have benefited enormously.

On another note, my week before holidays was not that busy although I have submitted one assignment, it was more ease than previous weeks. Nonetheless, I spent most of my time in Sheppard library preparing for the coming exams and other course-work. I am aim to achieve the best mark in exams so, next year I will be able to focus on my dissertation.

Hope you to do well in your exams and assessment, good luck.
see you next week

Mohamed Farah
Reply 44
Hey everyone!

Welcome again to my weekly update, week beginning 28/03/16.
This I have very exciting news about the school of science and technology of Middlesex University.

Last week, the world largest study about ‘obesity’ was published in the scientific journal THELENCET. Dr Mariachiara Di Cesare,who is senior lecturer in Middlesex University, has participated in the study asco-leader. The study was done in collaboration between 700 researchers across the world.

Some of the study findings were; the overall world’s obese population is about 640 million person and, from 1975 to 2014 the world become heavier by1.5kg each decade. Interestingly, the UK ranked at the 10th highest BMI for men and, the 3rd for women. Whilst, the USA has the highest number of severely obese men and women in the world.

These findings and the scale of study elucidate its importance to the world’s health. It is universal fact, that high BMI is associated with physical impairment and ill-health. Proudly, MDX staff was at the heart of this study, yet taking a leading role in order to make change in today’s world.

Ultimately, I hope the findings of this study will help health-providing-agencies to tackle the growing issue of obesity. People need more information and to be educated how to avoid/get rid of obesity.

For more information about the study please use the following link:http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(16)30054-X/abstract

See you all next week, till then you all wish goodluck

Mohamed Farah,
Middlesex Course Ambassador,
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi,
If the Freshers weeks starts on the 26th of February, is that when we move into halls as well or do we move in before that?
Thanks
Reply 46
Original post by JubilationXXV
Hi,
If the Freshers weeks starts on the 26th of February, is that when we move into halls as well or do we move in before that?
Thanks

Hi Jubilation,
thanks for asking me again.
Yes, the freshers week will be on the week beginning 26/09/16. Regarding when students are allowed to move into halls, I have sent your query to the accommodation team and, I will let you know as soon as I have the answers.

Regards,

Mohamed Farah,
Middlesex Course Ambassador
Reply 47
Original post by Mo at MDX
Hi Jubilation,
thanks for asking me again.
Yes, the freshers week will be on the week beginning 26/09/16. Regarding when students are allowed to move into halls, I have sent your query to the accommodation team and, I will let you know as soon as I have the answers.

Regards,

Mohamed Farah,

Hi Jubilation,
Sorry if I kept you waiting,
I can confirm now that your contract will start from 19th of September 2016. So hopefully you can move by that time.

Best wishes
Reply 48
Hi all,

Welcome again to my weekly update week beginning 04/04/16.

Normally during the second week of the Easter holiday students start to complete their note book, seminar notes and any material that they may require to study for the exams. As such, the library of Middlesex University was filled with students who were preparing for exams.

As mentioned before, ReWise which is program that has been designed by MDX that provides students with tips and techniques to improve their studying, and offers strategies to help them relax and de-stress has recommenced this week. I am looking forward for my booked session which I hope it will enable me to navigate my time appropriately.

During the weekend I have spoken to number of prospective students as part of telecampaign activity that runs by the course ambassadors of MDX. I was really amazed with level of readiness that those students of whom I spoken to have displayed. Also I was very thrilled to be able to answer their questions and help. Please if you have any question or there is something in the back of your mid that need clarification ask me about it and I will try my best to provide you with the best answer of my knowledge.

See you all next week.

Mohamed Farah,
Hi Jubilation,
Sorry if I kept you waiting,
I can confirm now that your contract will start from 19th of September 2016. So hopefully you can move by that time.

Best wishes

That's okay, thank you
(edited 8 years ago)
Hello
Do you guys still run the applicants day for Bsc Biomedical Science, if yes how do I book a place.
Thank you in advance
Reply 51
Original post by Kristine Pattiso
Hello
Do you guys still run the applicants day for Bsc Biomedical Science, if yes how do I book a place.
Thank you in advance

Hi Kristine,
Thank you for asking me again.
Yes, we will run an open day on 11th of June. We are going to send out emails for all applicant and offer holders to express their interest in attending. If you could attend on that day please reply to the email by pressing on the booking icon - you will be redirected to book yourself - once you do that a confirmation email will be issued to you.

Kind Regards,

Mohamed Farah
Reply 52
Good evening dear Mo,
I would like to ask a question.

I was offered a place at Middlesex to study biomedical science with a foundation year

And so my dream came true...

I was told that the tutors were very impressed by my application and so I was wondering whether it is possible to study biomedical science without foundation year and not having the exact entry requirements. As I would save one year ;-)

Thank you
Sara
Hi Mo.

I got an offer for Biomedical Science and I would really love to come and study at Middlesex Uni. I know you are year 2 but you may know how's year 3. How many exams will be and about the timetable.
About year 3 advance entry, do you know if I would have the time to complete my portfolio and obtain registration with HCPC?

Thanks,
Alina
Reply 54
Original post by sara1986
Good evening dear Mo,
I would like to ask a question.

I was offered a place at Middlesex to study biomedical science with a foundation year

And so my dream came true...

I was told that the tutors were very impressed by my application and so I was wondering whether it is possible to study biomedical science without foundation year and not having the exact entry requirements. As I would save one year ;-)

Thank you
Sara

Hi Sara,
Thank you for asking me and congratulation on your offer,
I am very happy to hear that the tutor was impressed with your application. To answer your question however, I believe if you have met the entry criteria of any course and, there is available vacancy on it, you should be able to be registered for that course. What I would recommend you to do is to contact the admission team on +44 (0) 20 8411 5555 (Option 1) - Monday to Friday between 9 am to 5 pm. Quote your student number and explain to them your wishes and I believe they will provide you with the right answer.
Very Good Luck!

Regards,

Mohamed Farah
Reply 55
Original post by alina.corina
Hi Mo.

I got an offer for Biomedical Science and I would really love to come and study at Middlesex Uni. I know you are year 2 but you may know how's year 3. How many exams will be and about the timetable.
About year 3 advance entry, do you know if I would have the time to complete my portfolio and obtain registration with HCPC?

Thanks,
Alina

Hi Alina,
Thank you for asking me again,
Third year biomedical science is more like independent; students are given more free time to be able to work on their theses, whether it is laboratory based or literature based. Still there are lectures, seminar and practical laboratory their need to attended but the timetable is not hectic as second year.

I am not aware of any year 3 advance entry, what we do however is year two entry either by transferring from other universities or someone who had been successful during the interview. Regarding the HCPC portfolio you should either be transferred onto our applied biomedical science course or have arranged your own placement to be able to complete the portfolio.
I hope that helps,

Best Wishes

Mohamed Farah
Reply 56
Hi all,

Welcome again to my weekly update from MDX. Week beginning 11/04/16

University has recommenced this week, and after two week Easter break students have reunited with lectures and seminars. Although, most modules have ended some revision lectures were given to familiarise student about the nature of exam.

The landmark of this week was the exhibition by the Natural Science society in which their exhibited the second show of career expo. Various companies and universities have attended to advertise their positions and offer some advices to student in how to look for a graduate job. Universities were there too, the American University of Antigua and its medical department have exhibited their medical courses, if anyone wishes to go onto medicine after graduation.

Moreover, MDX staffs alongside employability unite have offer some key points on how to get a graduate job. Overall, the atmosphere was great and students were reassured and destressed.

On another note, if you wish to come to our open day registrations are now open. Please book yourself using the following link: https:
https://mdx.hobsons.co.uk/Portal/EI/GroupUrl?gid=53045942998f87353742ef911b4c0d6389d511

That’s all from me this week until I see you next week study hard and stay tuned.

Mohamed Farah
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi Kristine,
Thank you for asking me again.
Yes, we will run an open day on 11th of June. We are going to send out emails for all applicant and offer holders to express their interest in attending. If you could attend on that day please reply to the email by pressing on the booking icon - you will be redirected to book yourself - once you do that a confirmation email will be issued to you.

Kind Regards,

Mohamed Farah

Thanks for letting me know
How was your timetable in year 1 interms of did you get a lot of free time to do your work or not as much? and is there help available if you don't understand something? and also how are the lectures do you always understand what they are teaching or are there times where you get confused? and also I was wondering if for e.g. if you miss a lecture would you be able to watch the lecture on the video?

Thank you in advance
Reply 58
Original post by Kristine Pattiso
Thanks for letting me know
How was your timetable in year 1 interms of did you get a lot of free time to do your work or not as much? and is there help available if you don't understand something? and also how are the lectures do you always understand what they are teaching or are there times where you get confused? and also I was wondering if for e.g. if you miss a lecture would you be able to watch the lecture on the video?

Thank you in advance

Hey Kristine,
Nice to hear from you again,
In first year of your degree the timetable is not that hectic and students in average attend the university 3 days a week, so if you are thinking of work you still have plenty of time to maneuver your working hours. In terms of the student learning assistant scheme, we have in MDX various facilities that assist students in their learning e.g. SLAs which is group of student recruited by MDX to help new student understand their coursework. If one got confused or could not have understood lectures, then he/she can book a session with those people and they will do whatever they can to make him/her fully in control.
The lecture of MDX are good and simplify stuff as much as they can. If someone missed a lecture, the lecture's slides will be uploaded on moodle so you can go back and read what you have missed, but videos are not available at the moment.
hope I answered all your questions.
Kind Regards,

Mohamed Farah
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 59
Hi All,
welcome back to my weekly update from MDX - week beginning 18/04/16.

This week MIddlesex University have concluded all teaching sessions, no more teaching will be carried out, that is mean the exam period has started. The atmosphere in MDX is already intense; student rushing to submit their dissertation and meet deadlines; hunting and reserving books to used them in their revision and utilizing all means to get their works done.

I on the other hand, I have the chance to visit my beloved city Milton Keynes in Buckinghamshire and spent some quality time with my friends and family members. It was just what I need before I enter the exam mode to boost and recharge my mind and body.

On behalf of the Biomedical and Healthcare Science department, I would like to thank all of you, especially those of you who made made my job amazing by interacting and asking me questions. I had great time speaking to you in writing and verbally through phone. It was great year we had together and I wish that the best days still ahead. Please keep your questions coming and I wish all of you very good luck in your exam and educational endeavor.

See you all next week.

Mohamed Farah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending