The Student Room Group

My Road to A* everywhere

Scroll to see replies

Original post by brainzistheword
Well if you a) like studying or b) manage your time well, then it should be easy but it is different for every single person. If you need any help to try and make it easier let me know and I'll see what I can do :smile:

Hey does past papers help?
If so how would you do them?
Do examiners recycle questions?
When doing past papers which year should i begin from?

Thank you
p.s: no one seems to give me the correct answer and every1 seems to say different things - confused ...
Original post by sahra30013
Hi,
I'm current quite nervous about my exams this year and I really want to achieve as many A*s as possible. However, in less than 7 weeks, I have my exams and I feel like I am not doing enough revision.
What can I do to stop being nervous?
Also, how do you manage your time?
Is there enough time to catch up and be able to do well?

Thanks

Hi again :smile:

I have exams in less than 7 weeks too (my first one is on May 18th). How much revision do you do at the moment and what techniques are you using? Why is it that you feel you are not doing enough?

To stop being nervous, I would suggest walks - they work quite well for me and help break up the revision a bit. I haven't tried meditation or anything like that but it may be worth a look. if you find that being nervous disrupts your revision, make sure you have a notebook handy whilst you revise. And when you get a thought or piece of nervous thought, jot it down and it should help you forget about it until after your session. Afterwards, go back to it and see if there are any common themes for what you are thinking about and then you can see if there are any ways to tackle them. I hope this is helpful :smile:

In terms of managiing time - make sure you have a solid plan of everything you want to achieve before each revision session. This way you are totally focused on the revision and don't have to fill in gaps because you are ill-prepared. Make little things you can carry around with you so you can optimise any free minutes you have and also try making the most of other techniques - by this I mean try recording yourself or getting a computer program to change text to speech for you so you could maybe listen to your notes whilst going to school or in bed. make sure you do past papers as often as possible and mark them so you know where your weaknesses are. Then, focus your revision purely on the areas you got wrong so that you don't waste time on the easy stuff you actually already know :smile:

Of course there is enough time to catch up, don't panic! :smile: (I know, easier said than done - and I am one of the worst for worrying)
If you need any help please just let me know and I will see what I can do.

P.S. Talking to someone isn't a bad idea either :biggrin: and you can always leave me a post if you want to talk :smile:
Original post by nisha.sri
Hey does past papers help?
If so how would you do them?
Do examiners recycle questions?
When doing past papers which year should i begin from?

Thank you
p.s: no one seems to give me the correct answer and every1 seems to say different things - confused ...

Past papers are a MUST for revision - because it is about applyong the information you have revised. I do them under the same as exam conditions, go throuhg and mark them, and then note down topics I missed or got wrong so I can focus revision during the week on them.

There have been times when examiners have used the same questions and very similar variations have appeared too, so it is definitely worth it.

As was mentioned by someone earlier (possibly @NiamhM1801) start from the year of your specification (most are around 2012) and do them from then onwards. It doesn't necessarily matter if you go in order from 2012 to now just as long as you get yourselg familiar with the layout and exam technique :smile:
UPDATE 18/03/16

So today I have:

Typed up German writing ready to learn and divided it up into sections to revise each day

Typed up notes on: Electrolysis, Plant Oils, and Fats and Oils

Marked Physics past paper (full marks)

Marked Maths paper and made corrections (98%)

Past papers are a MUST for revision - because it is about applyong the information you have revised. I do them under the same as exam conditions, go throuhg and mark them, and then note down topics I missed or got wrong so I can focus revision during the week on them.

There have been times when examiners have used the same questions and very similar variations have appeared too, so it is definitely worth it.

As was mentioned by someone earlier (possibly @NiamhM1801) start from the year of your specification (most are around 2012) and do them from then onwards. It doesn't necessarily matter if you go in order from 2012 to now just as long as you get yourselg familiar with the layout and exam technique :smile:

Oh thank you for the advice :smile: I will try and do some past papers :smile: because i haven't started on them :frown: Have you?
Oh thank you for the advice :smile: I will try and do some past papers :smile: because i haven't started on them :frown: Have you?

You're welcome :smile:

I have done some, yes, but I haven't fully committed to them yet, as I want to get a few more notes done so I can truly see where my weaknesses lie :smile:
You're welcome :smile:

I have done some, yes, but I haven't fully committed to them yet, as I want to get a few more notes done so I can truly see where my weaknesses lie :smile:

That is true , i want to do them all in the easter holidays ... :smile:
That is true , i want to do them all in the easter holidays ... :smile:

If you are planning to do all your subjects and all their past papers - there are tons of them :smile: You'll certainly get through a good chunk of them, provided you stick to your plans and don't lack motivation - but I'm sure you won't :biggrin:

Good luck with everything - let me know if you need any help :smile:
If you are planning to do all your subjects and all their past papers - there are tons of them :smile: You'll certainly get through a good chunk of them, provided you stick to your plans and don't lack motivation - but I'm sure you won't :biggrin:

Good luck with everything - let me know if you need any help :smile:

Hahaha I am going t organise myself during the half term so one day i would do English Lit, other day Physics 2 etc.. This way i can prepare more and get a lot done :smile: Hahah dont worry i wont lack motivation especially when exams are just round the corner :smile: I can't be silly and be on my phone or etc... and get distracted... To motivate myself i do something crazy and weird ( watch youtube videos on gcse results) really does motivate me though :smile:

Thank you and good luck to you too :smile: :biggrin: :u:
How much revision are you doing during the half term?
To motivate myself i do something crazy and weird ( watch youtube videos on gcse results) really does motivate me though :smile:

I thought I was the only one that did this! I totally agree that it's really motivating and I do it whenever I need to crack on with revising but can't drag myself to my desk haha. Glad I'm not alone! :biggrin:
Original post by NiamhM1801
I thought I was the only one that did this! I totally agree that it's really motivating and I do it whenever I need to crack on with revising but can't drag myself to my desk haha. Glad I'm not alone! :biggrin:

Hahahaha me too , i thought that i was the only weirdo doing freaky things LoL x
I do this a lot especially when people get really bad results and they are crying their eyes out i am like OMG THAT IS NOT ME and those who get 10 A* and 1 A i am like THAT IS SOOOO ME ... lol
Hahaha I am going t organise myself during the half term so one day i would do English Lit, other day Physics 2 etc.. This way i can prepare more and get a lot done :smile: Hahah dont worry i wont lack motivation especially when exams are just round the corner :smile: I can't be silly and be on my phone or etc... and get distracted... To motivate myself i do something crazy and weird ( watch youtube videos on gcse results) really does motivate me though :smile:

Thank you and good luck to you too :smile: :biggrin: :u:
How much revision are you doing during the half term?

Ah sounds like you have it all planned and I'm sure your motivation technique will keep you going :smile:]
During the half term I plan to do as much as possible and study at every opportunity, so maybe 7 hours ish? The thing is, my school is putting on classes but I feel I can get more done at home, so it is a case of trying to convince hem not to drag me in to them. :smile:
UPDATE

Today I have the last one of my 11 week morning club. But afterwards I want to make a CV incase I get an interview, and tye up/write up more notes and do some past papers but I haven't dwelled on the specifics.
Well done on these grades!! There is still definitely time to get in the revision and got those A*s. All I can say for maths is past papers - do every single question you can find and learn where you are going wrong :smile:

Thanks. I'll be sure to do as many past papers as I possibly can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah sounds like you have it all planned and I'm sure your motivation technique will keep you going :smile:]
During the half term I plan to do as much as possible and study at every opportunity, so maybe 7 hours ish? The thing is, my school is putting on classes but I feel I can get more done at home, so it is a case of trying to convince hem not to drag me in to them. :smile:

Hahaha ai want high grades so i need to organise myself :smile:
Wow your gonna do loads :smile: Well done
And yep so does my school but i dont want to go i feel like i will get a more done at home because too much distraction at school :smile:
7 hours. I plan on doing way more and that to for 2 weeks. I do agree with you. I can't focus in school much. No one can at the moment. Too many idiots doing funny things because they know that they're going to flop their exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786
7 hours. I plan on doing way more and that to for 2 weeks. I do agree with you. I can't focus in school much. No one can at the moment. Too many idiots doing funny things because they know that they're going to flop their exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahaha I know those people who are crazy and being fools need to sort out , well it is their lives it is literally up to them :smile: How many hours are you planning to do? What do you want to get in your gcse's?
Yay! A fellow physics lover! I will upload links below to the cards - however, We appear to be on completely opposite exam boards as I am on:

Edexcel:
Maths (luckily the same :smile:)

WJEC:
English Lit
English Language

OCR:
History
Physics
Chemistry
Biology
ICT

AQA:
Geography

I will send you the links anyway and you can have a look to see if we cover any of the same material:

Physics: https://www.brainscape.com/packs/6874190/invitation?referrer=1904487
History: https://www.brainscape.com/packs/6874382/invitation?referrer=1904487

Please be aware that you may have to sign up - it's completely free and just needs an email. Also, the history ones are still a work in progress but after my mocks on the 22nd-27th I will be definitely expanding these. If you would like the links to the other science subjects let me know - but just remember we are on different exam boards :smile:

Are you doing aqa a geog. If so what topics
Hey guys,

Is there any youtubers for revision or stuff like revision ?
If so please could you tell me.
Gracias Amigos ( Thank you friends) - Probably like the only two spanish words i know , so i use them :smile:

1- Eve Bennett ( Is bae at revision) but she is the only one i know anyone else ....

I personally feel that youtubers help me motivate and just aid me for my exams :smile:

Thank you
Hahaha I know those people who are crazy and being fools need to sort out , well it is their lives it is literally up to them :smile: How many hours are you planning to do? What do you want to get in your gcse's?

I'm aiming for 9 A stars. My teachers tell me that I can achieve it if I try because I've been coasting since I've started my GCSEs and I've been getting As and Bs and some A stars.

I can fluke English Language, English Literature, Business, Drama, French and History. I'll get A stars in those.

I just need to revise for Maths, Biology and Physics.

But I'm going to revise for everything in the coming holidays.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending