The Student Room Group

I got into Harris Westminster!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by StrangeBanana
- Whatever you want (within reason), so yeah, that'd definitely be allowed.
- Nope, you're expected to provide your own stationary
- That varies a bit, but it's usually once a week.
- There are a couple of parents' evenings every year, where your parents can meet all your teachers
- Yeah, they loan out textbooks to everyone for a year (so you'd get your AS textbooks at the beginning of year 12 and then give it back after exams).
- Some people do have them, yeah
- Not really, as long as it's not completely ridiculous.
- They were extremely helpful with my application. Each student gets a mentor (a teacher of the subject they're applying for, or the most closely related subject for their course), who supports them with writing their UCAS statement, helping them decide on which Unis to apply for, stuff like that. They also organised practice interviews, which were really useful, and gave me very specific advice on how to make my application the best it could be.

Hey, thank you so much! (I think I'm running out of questions)

-What are the rules on phones?
-How is Saturday school?
-Are you allowed to use the lifts?
-Are your half terms longer due to school on Saturdays?
-What clubs are available?
Original post by nasm
Hey, thank you so much! (I think I'm running out of questions)

-What are the rules on phones?
-How is Saturday school?
-Are you allowed to use the lifts?
-Are your half terms longer due to school on Saturdays?
-What clubs are available?

Lol sorry for not answering those in the other post, no idea why I missed them

- There aren't any, really. As long as you're not spending lessons texting instead of working, you're fine
- You get used to it. It can be really irritating, but it makes the few Saturdays off you get all the better!
- Not unless you need to (like you've got a broken leg or something)
- Yes
- I don't know all of them, but there are quite a few. Off the top of my head, I can think of chess, drama, computing, diplomacy (it's a board game, sort of like Risk but much longer), fitness, bridge (card game), a couple of musical ones, and several foreign languages ones.
x

I have some questions too, if you don't mind :colondollar:

- how do you find the cultural perspectives? Are they useful?
- are people generally getting high grades?
- is there a lot of support for STEP?
- what are your favourite and least favourite things about the school?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake
I have some questions too, if you don't mind :colondollar:

- how do you find the cultural perspectives? Are they useful?
- are people generally getting high grades?
- is there a lot of support for STEP?
- what are your favourite and least favourite things about the school?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My pleasure

- Just fyi, you only do them in year 12, not year 13 (so you can focus on A-levels, unis, etc.). But the ones I remember doing were very interesting! There's a wide range of them, and it was nice to be able to learn some stuff outside my subjects for a change. Useful insofar that they're going to teach you stuff you need for AS exams? No, probably not, but learning and discussing interesting things with your peers is a worthwhile endeavour, regardless of whether you're being tested on it all at the end of the year!
- Well I know I am. :tongue: It's hard for me to know most people's average grades, but I will direct you to this as a sort of metric for how we're doing.
- During Lab, on Tuesday afternoons, one Maths teacher runs a maths extensions class which covers STEP material in addition to other stuff. They're great.
- Favourite: teaching, on the whole, has been and is phenomenal.
Least Favourite: it can be exhausting
(edited 8 years ago)
It doesn't mention that girls can wear dresses, are girls allowed to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Thedaniellamary
It doesn't mention that girls can wear dresses, are girls allowed to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah
You're welcome :smile:

- Nope
- You'll probably get a letter, maybe a prospectus
- Well, get ready for some hard work. :tongue: But make sure you don't worry about it. It'll be a fun two years.

Hey i got into the school and i was wondering how do you find the journeys everyday and does the 6 day week effect you much with revising???
You're welcome :smile:

- Nope
- You'll probably get a letter, maybe a prospectus
- Well, get ready for some hard work. :tongue: But make sure you don't worry about it. It'll be a fun two years.

Hey i got into the school and if you dont mind
i was wondering how do you find the journeys everyday and does the 6 day week effect you much with revising???
Original post by T.James87
Hey i got into the school and if you dont mind
i was wondering how do you find the journeys everyday and does the 6 day week effect you much with revising???

Congrats. ^^ Well, I'm fortunate enough to live pretty close-by, so my commutes are only about half an hour. Some people live much further away, and they do have to wake up a lot earlier than me! Well, it doesn't affect me negatively; the longer holidays we get as a result of Saturday school have given me plenty of time to work, and we get Saturday afternoons off so it isn't too bad.
Quick question: I got an offer and have chosen to take Further Maths + Maths, amongst other subjects. I've been under the impression I need an A* in my iGCSE Maths to get into Further Maths: true or false? Just took one of my maths papers today and, although I feel like I definitely got an A, and have another maths test in a few weeks, I'm not sure if I'll get that A*. Depends on how I do on the next maths exam. In any case would an A do? Thanks!
Reply 30
Nice, and yeah no problem

- I wouldn't call it competitive in the classroom, it's not like people are falling over themselves to answer questions before anyone else. When it comes to mocks or class tests, I know I can get pretty competitive with one or two friends. Generally, everyone's just trying to do their best.
- Yes, definitely, that's part of what Lab's for. And you can always ask to see them at other points in the week, when they have time available.
- I do Maths and Chemistry out of those, and I find the teaching outstanding, and the course content enjoyable, for both of them. There's a big jump from GCSE, but it's manageable.
- I see him around school most days (and if you're on the student senate you meet with him every week to discuss any issues students have, stuff like that).
- Well I eat out with some friends after school on occasion, and there are parties most half-term holidays. Not a huge amount, if you're used to hitting the clubs every Friday night (especially considering Saturday school). People do come from a variety of places around London, so there aren't many
- No, not everyone is crazy smart. :tongue: Well done for getting in, though! You'll enjoy it.

I've gotten in too and I've chosen Chemisty and Biology but I don't do triple science. Does this mean I HAVE to get an A in both core & additional science? Right now I'm at a B.
Original post by Settle
Quick question: I got an offer and have chosen to take Further Maths + Maths, amongst other subjects. I've been under the impression I need an A* in my iGCSE Maths to get into Further Maths: true or false? Just took one of my maths papers today and, although I feel like I definitely got an A, and have another maths test in a few weeks, I'm not sure if I'll get that A*. Depends on how I do on the next maths exam. In any case would an A do? Thanks!
There are a couple of people in my year who took Further Maths with an A in GCSE Maths. I don't know what the case will be for you - does it say you need an A* in Maths on your letter?

Original post by Sas99
I've gotten in too and I've chosen Chemisty and Biology but I don't do triple science. Does this mean I HAVE to get an A in both core & additional science? Right now I'm at a B.

What does your letter say?
I’m quite late but how much extra holiday do you have, can you leave school during free periods and is the work load a lot more than other schools( about how much time do you spend on work outside of school?)Answers would be really helpful, thanks
How’s Ewa Jinman, is she a good teacher?
lol the guy is in uni now lol
Original post by Girl19436
I’m quite late but how much extra holiday do you have, can you leave school during free periods and is the work load a lot more than other schools( about how much time do you spend on work outside of school?)Answers would be really helpful, thanks
I know but if anyone else has any answers it would be really helpful( or about charter north Dulwich)
Original post by salimyasin10
lol the guy is in uni now lol
Reply 36
What GCSE’s do successful candidates usually get?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending