The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I have to say that there are some blatantly... pointless courses out there though I still find some of the larger ones a bit pointless.
they exist to steal money from the taxpayer and so the academics can continue living their ivory tower lifestyles
Reply 3
It's so the government can charge people £9k/year plus interest in student loans, and people who are generally not suited to academic pursuits can feel good about themselves getting a degree (even if it is worthless). Win/win for everyone involved, except universities who now have to deal with a flood of new applicants every year.
Original post by Dinasaurus
I don't want to hate on certain courses, and I don't mean like any-non-STEM subject is pointless or whatever, but I found a few subjects like Surf Studies or a combined course in Dance and Mathematics?

What is it like doing those courses? It seems a bit odd.

Well at least regarding the second case, some really awesome developments can come out of collaboration between two very different subjects. If someone's inspired enough to take Drama and Mathematics then I think that's wonderful. They're going to be educated through two very different perspectives on the world which could lead to some really cool insights. There was a great series of lectures at the RSC a few years ago where they demonstrated some collaborative work between chemists and artists and they came up with some really interesting ideas and it's clear that both groups had gained a lot from the insights of the other.
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't want to hate on certain courses, and I don't mean like any-non-STEM subject is pointless or whatever, but I found a few subjects like Surf Studies or a combined course in Dance and Mathematics?

don't forget about david beckham studies and the beatles degree
Original post by KyleH123
don't forget about david beckham studies and the beatles degree

wut?
Original post by ODES_PDES
wut?

no lie fam
Original post by KyleH123
no lie fam

Who offers that? lol.
Who offers that? lol.

http://www.hope.ac.uk/postgraduate/postgraduatecourses/thebeatlespopularmusicandsocietyma/

staffordshire used to offer david beckham degree
Who offers that? lol.

University of Beckham. They even offer you to do a Msc and then a PhD after in David Beckham studies. It is currently 5th in the global university league tables.

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
In my 7 year experience of observing people's lives I've found that the people who did the more unusual courses have actually ended up in better careers, or at least careers that have made them feel happier and more fulfilled, than their traditionally qualified colleagues. I mean, you have to be really committed to surfing to have sought out the course and enrolled on it and I imagine there are jobs relating to it so it must be a good degree to have under your belt if you're into that kind of thing and want to make it your life.

I would love to do dance and mathematics if I had the chance (read: dance ability). You need half a degree in a subject you want to teach so this would allow you to teach maths while still training in dance. Or you could teach maths and run dance classes on the side. Or use maths as a backup for when your dance career ends/fails. Or tour the country doing presentations on the beauty and interaction of dance and maths.
Original post by mscaffrey

I would love to do dance and mathematics if I had the chance (read: dance ability). You need half a degree in a subject you want to teach so this would allow you to teach maths while still training in dance. Or you could teach maths and run dance classes on the side. Or use maths as a backup for when your dance career ends/fails. Or tour the country doing presentations on the beauty and interaction of dance and maths.

True. Not quite as random as it sounds, now you've said it.
Reply 13
Because everything requires a degree, therefore there needs to be a degree for everything.

Dance/art/film/photography etc shouldnt be degrees because the subject isn't an academic one, but theyve now been created to be academic.

Someone smart had a idea to turn what should be hobbies into degrees - photography, drama, dance. Trouser 9k a year off these deluded individuals and make them think they are getting a world class education that will lead to a fab job in said hobby.

The unemployed job market is full of people with these degrees along with criminology, media, film studies etc.
Original post by donte
Because everything requires a degree, therefore there needs to be a degree for everything.

Dance/art/film/photography etc shouldnt be degrees because the subject isn't an academic one, but theyve now been created to be academic.

People have been going to art school for absolute centuries.

Posted from TSR Mobile

wut?

I remember hearing about that quite a while back :laugh: Stafford shire :lol:
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Someone smart had a idea to turn what should be hobbies into degrees - photography, drama, dance. Trouser 9k a year off these deluded individuals and make them think they are getting a world class education that will lead to a fab job in said hobby.

The unemployed job market is full of people with these degrees along with criminology, media, film studies etc.

If we didn't have photographers, actors or dancers what would the world be like? As well as those things being hobbies they are also legitimate professions and they require training, which is something that a degree can provide. Without those artists how would the high flyers in London wind down at the end of the day? Many of them go to the theatre now and enjoy a jolly night out. The theatre is full of people who have trained in drama or dance by doing a degree. We rely on photographers to document the world (for scientists as well as the general public). All of these subjects also have a history which can be studied critically like any other arts subject.

The unemployment market is full of people who have training in all kinds of things, including those with degrees in academic subjects (and not just in the arts/humanities).

Some universities allow students to combine any two "half" degrees they offer. That is bound to permit some odd combinations. Dance and mathematics is by no means the most unusual. There is generally a mathematical element to everything so rhythm and music have mathematical components.

I have met the father of a law & dance student. Northampton used to offer some very weird combinations with waste management. This must be one of the current oddest ones

http://search.ucas.com/course/summary/236466/astrophysics-and-human-resource-management?Vac=4&AvailableIn=2015&SubjectCode=10&page=2&flt99=1015&Feather=7&MaxResults=1000&ret=providers
Original post by mscaffrey
If we didn't have photographers, actors or dancers what would the world be like? As well as those things being hobbies they are also legitimate professions and they require training, which is something that a degree can provide. Without those artists how would the high flyers in London wind down at the end of the day? Many of them go to the theatre now and enjoy a jolly night out. The theatre is full of people who have trained in drama or dance by doing a degree. We rely on photographers to document the world (for scientists as well as the general public). All of these subjects also have a history which can be studied critically like any other arts subject.

The unemployment market is full of people who have training in all kinds of things, including those with degrees in academic subjects (and not just in the arts/humanities).

Yeah but you don't need a degree and 27k of debt to do these hobbies

Latest

Trending

Trending