The Student Room Group

Iain Duncan Smith Resigns

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Trapz99
If you want to earn more than that, get a better paid job.

Reply 41
Original post by paul514
I think it would be stupid to think this is about his feud with Osborne or the referendum on its own.

The moment I heard of these cuts I thought to myself wtf...... And I'm far from left wing.

I think he thinks the cuts are wrong, he doesn't want this on his record, he doesn't want the Conservative party to be seen as the nasty party by its supporters, it damages osbournes leadership ambitions and gives him publicity as a leading leave campaigner.

In short a no brainier for someone coming towards the end of their career.

Posted from TSR Mobile

that would be all well and true but IDS has hurt the disabled many times before this recent budget....you must have heard of all the death and the genuinely ill people who died because of the whole benefits thing.

its a bit like having your cake and eating it tbh
As much as I have cursed Ian Duncan Smith I believe he made choices based on his morals. He did the Christian thing in the end. He self reflected. Saw that the Government where forcing him to make political choices rather than rational choices.

He has my forgiveness. Forgive others if you expect forgiveness for your Sins. Jesus Christ is Lord.
I genuinely thought this thread was a wind up until I checked the news.

It just shows how Gideon has gone too far this time, even IDS thinks the changes aren't acceptable ffs.
Original post by illegaltobepoor
As much as I have cursed Ian Duncan Smith I believe he made choices based on his morals. He did the Christian thing in the end. He self reflected. Saw that the Government where forcing him to make political choices rather than rational choices.

He has my forgiveness. Forgive others if you expect forgiveness for your Sins. Jesus Christ is Lord.

[video="youtube;rxBMT0rH9hU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxBMT0rH9hU[/video]
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Doesn't want to go to hell. He's a catholic and can feel those red hot pokers getting dangerously close to his ass already.

In all seriousness he has had plenty of opportunity to be disgusted at how disabled people are being treated by this government. He's playing the politics game.

I think there is a big difference between tightening the rules and the recent esa and pip announcements.

It also has to be taken into account the previous changes already happened so these are already on a difficult situation

Posted from TSR Mobile
As much as I support the Tories, and as much as I'm glad to see IDS gone, this is, as others have said, going to be incredibly bad for the party.

Happy he's gone, but as a Tory I'm not happy with the repercussions this will bring. Either way the next few days are going to be interesting for all.
This is like Darth Vader saying he's quitting the empire because he thinks their costumes look too scary and he doesn't approve of their affinity to the dark side.

He probably wrote his resignation letter with the tears of disabled children and signed it with the blood of unemployed graduates.

I don't know if there'll be bad press because it seems everyone hates him, either as a bumbling politician or Satan incarnate. Plus no one seems to be buying his reason, so he acutally has even less respect now than he did before, which means he's in negative figures.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by illegaltobepoor

He hasn't showing any humility though. He hasn't apologised for driving so many of the most vulnerable people in the country into destitution and suicide. He just said he wasn't willing to go any further, otherwise known as "the next round of cuts might have more impact on the elderly parents of middle-class swing voters".
I take a cynical view of IDS's resignation.

He refers to the impact on the welfare to work agenda but the recent cuts have nothing to do with this.

The specific cuts announced have been in the technical operation of PIP. They were recommended by the Independent Reviewer. Essentially they remove anomalies in the points system that mean that people who shouldn't really get PIP do so. It is possible under the present rules to get PIP solely through needing aids, usually supplied free or at modest cost, rather from needing ongoing help with the cots of daily living. Currently 35% of awards are being made to people who have no or barely any additional costs arising from their disability.

These changes would probably have been proposed even if there had been no bid to save money with the cash saved diverted to and targeted on the Mobility Component of PIP where the change from DLA to PIP has significantly affected those able to get assistance with mobility.

What seems to have triggered this all was the fact that the Treasury was blaming the DWP for these cuts but it is difficult to see how technical changes to PIP could have been thought out except in the DWP.
(edited 8 years ago)
As predicted the Tories are starting to tear themselves apart and it's only going to get more dramatic with Europe. Similar to Blair's last couple of years the backbenchers are revelling and trying to give Cameron and Osborne a bloody nose.

If only labour had a decent leader right now. The Tories are re-toxifying themselves.

The next few weeks will be interesting.
Original post by xxvine
the guy is evil
dont believe it for one second to be because of the cuts.....didn't he once say people can live on £7 a day or something?

Guy is evil to the core/

He did say something like that. A petition was started for him to do the same and live on that amount, and he never did it. Can't remember if it was £7 a day though.
Original post by RF_PineMarten
He did say something like that. A petition was started for him to do the same and live on that amount, and he never did it. Can't remember if it was £7 a day though.

I would have been very surprised if he did because he would have known this was a myth and wholly deceptive both ways.

Firstly it is very easy to live for a short time on very little money because there is a lot of very cheap nutritious food. The problem is always meeting occasional but substantial costs. It is buying a new bed or a new fridge or shoes out of that modest income, that causes the problem. Anyone who plays at living on very little money for a short time never faces the problem of buying capital goods.

Conversely, very few people end up living on the minimum cash sum of subsistence benefits for any significant length of time. It is one of the reasons people were so shocked when the benefits cap was introduced. They were unaware of just how much some benefit claiming families were receiving, Few families receive the capped about but the reality is the the vast majority of benefit claiming households have more cash washing through them than the weekly amount of subsistence level benefits,.
If Labour had a proper leader they'd be all over this, but they don't so i'm not too worried.

Cannot stand IDS though and i'd glad he's finally ****ed off
Original post by sr90
If Labour had a proper leader they'd be all over this, but they don't so i'm not too worried.

Cannot stand IDS though and i'd glad he's finally ****ed off

At the moment the Tories are the biggest threat to the Tories.
With the impending civil war to come over europe, if Labour get themselves a decent leader things could start to look a whole lot rosier for them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Saoirse:3
He hasn't showing any humility though. He hasn't apologised for driving so many of the most vulnerable people in the country into destitution and suicide. He just said he wasn't willing to go any further, otherwise known as "the next round of cuts might have more impact on the elderly parents of middle-class swing voters".

As much as i consider the man absolutely incompetent he has no need to apologize for the deaths. Nobody has died from starvation, instead they have died from stress related suicide. As bad as those suicides are, the government cannot place the welfare of a handful of mentally unstable people above the need to cut the welfare budget even if i disagree with the way that IDS in particular did so.
Original post by Bornblue
At the moment the Tories are the biggest threat to the Tories.
With the impending civil war to come over europe, if Labour get themselves a decent leader things could start to look a whole lot rosier for them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

While i doubt it was ever a factor in his timing, i think the fact that it will be over and done with quickly and early in the term will probably negate any damage somewhat. It would have been much more damaging had we had a 2 year campaign that pushed the civil war well into 2018/2019.

For the Tories, the sooner the leadership election is over, the better.
Labour can't take advantage of this beause it's 2016, not 2020. Nothing happening now matters. They could have pre-Iraq Blair in charge and win loads of imaginary points in that weekly schoolyard shouting match they have, but no one will remember those PMQs FOUR YEARS later. The slanging match right before the election decides it.

The entire premise of election campaigning is to not mention the past few years and just tell people what you're GOING to do, since you won't be held accountable once you get in and no one remembers the specifics.
Iain Duncan Smith has resigned?

I'd send flowers.....

if I gave a ****.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending