The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

PGDip Nursing

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by fc93
Thank you! I'm sure I'm panicking about nothing, I just have quite a few things to hand in still (and get grades back...) my dissertation and two exams! Eeek!

Whenever I get stressed I remember I'm in a really good position because if I don't get a 2:1, whilst it would be massively annoying, I can still go to LSBU and will still train and come out with the same thing. :smile:

Yeah it doesn't take long at all, you just have to add your qualifications post-GCSE (thankfully! Hate having to put all of those in!) and your 3 year work history and obviously your living situation.

What is your plan for living arrangements? I can't remember if it's already been asked!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah either way you are gonna be going somewhere so I wouldn't worry too much :smile:. LSBU is a great second choice! I went to their test days but withdrew before my interview and from what I saw it's a nice place.

Just did my application yesterday. Had to go fishing around for payslips from a few years ago to send off to prove my independence.

I'm going to be living with my Nan who lives just outside London in Essex. Will be able to get on the central line from pretty much the end of it to get into London pretty easily. What are your plans?
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 61
Hi, congrats on your offer for city. Am in the process of doing mine as I would like for it to be my first choice. When they marked it did they give feedback on why you passed? Any tips ?. Really want to pass this final big hurdle . Thanks . Also what did you apply for ?
Reply 62
Original post by nkoran
Hi, congrats on your offer for city. Am in the process of doing mine as I would like for it to be my first choice. When they marked it did they give feedback on why you passed? Any tips ?. Really want to pass this final big hurdle . Thanks . Also what did you apply for ?

Hey! Yes they did give feedback but i'll admit I haven't look at it. There is a mark scheme on the guidance info though to help you with getting all the right info in. Personally I hated the second question due to the fact it was such a short essay and such a broad question. Definitely get someone to read over it before you send it, I had so many little mistakes in spelling, grammar etc so it was good to get a second opinion on it.

Right curiosity got the better of me and I had a look at my feedback haha. There wasn't anything noted on what wasn't done correctly, just mostly the feedback was that I had done what was necessary for the pass. So my advice to you would just to make sure you keep going back to mark scheme to make sure you tick all the boxes they are looking for.

I have applied for Adult Nursing, what about you? How long have you got left to do your City APL? I literally sent mine the morning it was due, took me a while to get my head around it all.
Reply 63
Original post by cazcar19
Hey! Yes they did give feedback but i'll admit I haven't look at it. There is a mark scheme on the guidance info though to help you with getting all the right info in. Personally I hated the second question due to the fact it was such a short essay and such a broad question. Definitely get someone to read over it before you send it, I had so many little mistakes in spelling, grammar etc so it was good to get a second opinion on it.

Right curiosity got the better of me and I had a look at my feedback haha. There wasn't anything noted on what wasn't done correctly, just mostly the feedback was that I had done what was necessary for the pass. So my advice to you would just to make sure you keep going back to mark scheme to make sure you tick all the boxes they are looking for.

I have applied for Adult Nursing, what about you? How long have you got left to do your City APL? I literally sent mine the morning it was due, took me a while to get my head around it all.

Hello, thanks for your detailed response, really helpful. I applied for PGdip mental health nursing, its not due till first week of April. However its been 3 weeks and on annual leave this week so almost done completing it.
Yes definitely, ill get someone to go over. I agree with part 2 as i went way over the world limit and having to cut down bits now. Did you manage to include much references for both parts?

Hopefully it all goes well, fingers crossed. Did you apply to lsbu?
Reply 64
Original post by nkoran
Hello, thanks for your detailed response, really helpful. I applied for PGdip mental health nursing, its not due till first week of April. However its been 3 weeks and on annual leave this week so almost done completing it.
Yes definitely, ill get someone to go over. I agree with part 2 as i went way over the world limit and having to cut down bits now. Did you manage to include much references for both parts?

Hopefully it all goes well, fingers crossed. Did you apply to lsbu?

Well done on getting it almost finished so early, I'm a terrible procrastinator!

Yeah I managed to include references, way more in the second part though in comparison to the first. Some references I hadn't looked at myself but took from papers I found. As i'm not currently at university, it was difficult to get sources to look at but managed somehow.

I emailed City earlier to see if I needed to do anything else now and they advised that as they have my APL done and my second reference that now just to wait until Summer for the occupational health stuff. Was kind of hoping it would change to unconditional on my UCAS after the APL was in but I guess it won't. Would have been nice to see thats all :P

I did apply to LSBU but only got as far as passing the tests, they gave me an interview date pretty far in the future (I had to change my date) so I withdrew after I got my other offers.

EDIT: Just checked my track and it's unconditional now Woo :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 65
Well done on getting it almost finished so early, I'm a terrible procrastinator!

Yeah I managed to include references, way more in the second part though in comparison to the first. Some references I hadn't looked at myself but took from papers I found. As i'm not currently at university, it was difficult to get sources to look at but managed somehow.

I emailed City earlier to see if I needed to do anything else now and they advised that as they have my APL done and my second reference that now just to wait until Summer for the occupational health stuff. Was kind of hoping it would change to unconditional on my UCAS after the APL was in but I guess it won't. Would have been nice to see thats all :P

I did apply to LSBU but only got as far as passing the tests, they gave me an interview date pretty far in the future (I had to change my date) so I withdrew after I got my other offers.

EDIT: Just checked my track and it's unconditional now Woo :biggrin:

Awwww, Ok congrats, you must be so relieved. You also got your second reference in fast didnt you. So would city be your 1st or insurance choice, are you waiting for any other others before you accept.
Reply 66
Original post by nkoran
Awwww, Ok congrats, you must be so relieved. You also got your second reference in fast didnt you. So would city be your 1st or insurance choice, are you waiting for any other others before you accept.

I had to get a second reference for one of the universities before I could be given an offer so I already had it fortunately. The stress I had to go through trying to get it though (but that's another story). City is my insurance and King's College is my firm but i'm still waiting for their APEL to be marked as they take 4-6weeks.

Do you have City as your firm and LSBU as your insurance then?
Reply 67
I had to get a second reference for one of the universities before I could be given an offer so I already had it fortunately. The stress I had to go through trying to get it though (but that's another story). City is my insurance and King's College is my firm but i'm still waiting for their APEL to be marked as they take 4-6weeks.

Do you have City as your firm and LSBU as your insurance then?

Ok i had a similar situation where a uni wanted a second reference at the interview stage and it was hassle to get someone from my old university.

O okay thats cool. I'm still waiting from lsbu and another university if ive got an offer or not since my interview. So only city for now.
Hey guys, I just got an offer for PGDip in Children's Nursing :smile: I've taken a look at the APEL and it doesn't seem too bad (it'll definitely take longer than 2-3 hours) but I'm so glad that I can *offically* join this group!
Reply 69
Original post by IndieTams
Hey guys, I just got an offer for PGDip in Children's Nursing :smile: I've taken a look at the APEL and it doesn't seem too bad (it'll definitely take longer than 2-3 hours) but I'm so glad that I can *offically* join this group!

Hey! Congratulations :smile: I'm for the Child branch too. :smile:
Original post by fc93
Hey! Congratulations :smile: I'm for the Child branch too. :smile:

Thank you! :smile: Do you know if there's like a Facebook group for Pg Nursing other than the general one for all offer holders?
Thank you! :smile: Do you know if there's like a Facebook group for Pg Nursing other than the general one for all offer holders?

Our small and merry band is increasing, well done on your offer! :smile:
I'm finally ready to submit my King's APEL after a week of major distractions at work :redface:
To submit, do just go onto my apply portal and 'send kings a message'? I'm confused because when I go to select my attachment type from the drop down list, there isn't an APEL option on there :s
Reply 73
Original post by allthatjas94
I'm finally ready to submit my King's APEL after a week of major distractions at work :redface:
To submit, do just go onto my apply portal and 'send kings a message'? I'm confused because when I go to select my attachment type from the drop down list, there isn't an APEL option on there :s

I think I picked "meeting conditions of my offer" and put APEL in the subject. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 74

Not sure, I haven't really looked to be honest! I'm scared to start actually "meeting" people until I get my degree results! :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
Yeah either way you are gonna be going somewhere so I wouldn't worry too much :smile:. LSBU is a great second choice! I went to their test days but withdrew before my interview and from what I saw it's a nice place.

Just did my application yesterday. Had to go fishing around for payslips from a few years ago to send off to prove my independence.

I'm going to be living with my Nan who lives just outside London in Essex. Will be able to get on the central line from pretty much the end of it to get into London pretty easily. What are your plans?

Sorry only just seen your reply. :smile:

Ah I'm probably going to be living in Essex somewhere as well as my boyfriend will be working in Southend for another year. We haven't started flat hunting yet but I think we're looking at somewhere like Brentwood at the moment because it's on the TfL rail line. Not looking forward to having to commute! I think we are in every day as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fc93
I think I picked "meeting conditions of my offer" and put APEL in the subject. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

^^ this is what I did as well.

Original post by fc93
Sorry only just seen your reply. :smile:

Ah I'm probably going to be living in Essex somewhere as well as my boyfriend will be working in Southend for another year. We haven't started flat hunting yet but I think we're looking at somewhere like Brentwood at the moment because it's on the TfL rail line. Not looking forward to having to commute! I think we are in every day as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile

And from speaking to the king's students on placement on my ward it is pretty much 9-5 (with an hour or 2 off) mon-fri. Wednesday afternoons I think they get off as normal, and I think there was also 1 day a week where they finish earlier in the afternoon. They all say the PGDip is intense, although the girls I work with, some of them have done the PGDip and they genuinely believe that if you've done bioscience it should be fine as you know a lot of the physiological and biological side. And actually come to think of it we know drug mechanisms too
Reply 77

Congratulations! Good Luck with the APEL. Hoping to get to that stage too.

I also applied for PGDip Children's Nursing at King's College. Got an invitation to attend the interview. I haven't done the Numeracy and Literacy assessment yet, I'm guessing that I will be doing it after the interviews.

I'm getting so worry.

How was the numeracy and literacy tests?
How many questions does the literacy test have?
How was the MMI? What advise can you give to get through them.

Sorry dear about the questions, just seeking advice and information to help me prepare.

If you can help anyway it will be rearly appreciatedo :smile:
Reply 78

Welcome to the group and congratulations :smile:

Yeah it isn't too awful, my backup uni's one was definitely worse and I've passed that so don't worry. Yes mine took a lot longer than 2-3 hours too. I've just crept into the 4-6weeks since I sent mine so checking my kings apply obsessively now :tongue:
Reply 79
Original post by Bioscientist_
^^ this is what I did as well.

And from speaking to the king's students on placement on my ward it is pretty much 9-5 (with an hour or 2 off) mon-fri. Wednesday afternoons I think they get off as normal, and I think there was also 1 day a week where they finish earlier in the afternoon. They all say the PGDip is intense, although the girls I work with, some of them have done the PGDip and they genuinely believe that if you've done bioscience it should be fine as you know a lot of the physiological and biological side. And actually come to think of it we know drug mechanisms too

This is really useful info, thanks for sharing :smile: I did a bit of biology in my first year of uni and we did a bit of neuroscience as part of psych so im hoping it helps a bit but I love biosciences so pretty excited to get stuck into that.

The amount of times I've been told that the PGDip is intense, is worrying haha.

Quick Reply