The Student Room Group

Weight continuously decreasing

Scroll to see replies

But, I've had several blood tests before (lol I've literally have lost count) and my doctors haven't come across it. I've also had surgery twice before and nothing.

But I am reading it and realised that I am getting a lot of the symptoms.... but trying not to scare myself :redface:
Original post by Anonymous
But I am reading it and realised that I am getting a lot of the symptoms.... but trying not to scare myself :redface:

Don't worry. But see a doctor A.S.A.P

:hugs:

An overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) can also lower testosterone levels.

- decreased libido
- decreased muscle mass
- low mood
- lack of energy
- fatigue
- difficulty concentrating
Original post by stefano865
Don't worry. But see a doctor A.S.A.P

:hugs:

I will, thank you for your reply stefano
You are probably very active, like me.
Original post by GeologyMaths
You are probably very active, like me.

I used to be very active, but after I noticed the weight loss I started becoming less active. For example, every morning I would usually walk to the tube station (10-15 mins), but instead I just catch the bus even though its one stop. My sister thinks it's high metabolism.
No, I tend not to track calory intake as I just prefer to continuously eat than count how much I take in. Would you recommend that I do that?

This is absolutely essential so you know how much and what you are eating.

If you eat less than your body needs to maintain then you will lose weight

If you eat what your body needs you will stay the same weight.

If you eat more then you gain weight.

I dont know your stats, ae and height, so cnat figure out where you are on BMI.

Go and join MFP and then hang out with other people trying to gain weight.

Dont forget weight fluctuates, so you are looking at a long term trend. I bet you are eating less than you think. measure the claories and then you will know.

If you have issues on the amount, then eat more calorie dense foods, full fat etc.
I used to be very active, but after I noticed the weight loss I started becoming less active. For example, every morning I would usually walk to the tube station (10-15 mins), but instead I just catch the bus even though its one stop. My sister thinks it's high metabolism.

Your sister is ill informed and sounds like she doesn't know what she is talking about. The vast majority of the time when people say "high metabolism" they haven't a clue what they are talking about.

Anyway this can only be really one of two things.

A medical condition causing you to lose weight (unlikely but possible)

or you're eating less calories than your TDEE and so are losing weight (most likely)

YOu need to start accurately tracking your calories using www.myfitnesspal.com and compare your average with your TDEE

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

If you're eating over your TDEE yet still losing weight you need to request tests from your doctor, as it could be a number of things affecting your weight.

I'd say you need to track your calories and weight for at least 6+ weeks to get an accurate picture of what is going on.
Have you had any other symptoms such as increased tiredness, lethargy or thirst? It's always a really good idea to see a doctor as soon as possible when you have unexplained weight loss. It could be nothing to worry about particularly as you're sixteen and probably still growing a lot but if you're eating more than usual and still losing weight it's best to get it checked out :smile:
Original post by 999tigger
This is absolutely essential so you know how much and what you are eating.

If you eat less than your body needs to maintain then you will lose weight

If you eat what your body needs you will stay the same weight.

If you eat more then you gain weight.

I dont know your stats, ae and height, so cnat figure out where you are on BMI.

Go and join MFP and then hang out with other people trying to gain weight.

Dont forget weight fluctuates, so you are looking at a long term trend. I bet you are eating less than you think. measure the claories and then you will know.

If you have issues on the amount, then eat more calorie dense foods, full fat etc.

Thank you! I'll defo check it out

Original post by SophieSmall
Your sister is ill informed and sounds like she doesn't know what she is talking about. The vast majority of the time when people say "high metabolism" they haven't a clue what they are talking about.

Anyway this can only be really one of two things.

A medical condition causing you to lose weight (unlikely but possible)

or you're eating less calories than your TDEE and so are losing weight (most likely)

YOu need to start accurately tracking your calories using www.myfitnesspal.com and compare your average with your TDEE

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

If you're eating over your TDEE yet still losing weight you need to request tests from your doctor, as it could be a number of things affecting your weight.

I'd say you need to track your calories and weight for at least 6+ weeks to get an accurate picture of what is going on.

I wouldn't go as far as calling my sister ill informed.... mind you anybody I really spoke to said the same thing.... Anyway, thank you for your response and I'll check out the websites you've linked.
Sounds like it could be a problem with the scales.
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
Sounds like it could be a problem with the scales.

That's what I always hope it is, but I've tried other scales too reading the same thing

Quick Reply

Latest