The Student Room Group

Living or studying in LANCASTER

Can anyone who lives or studies in Lancaster please tell me what the city is really like? I so badly want some honest reviews about it, particularly to know the bad things about Lancaster!

Can anyone help?
Negative: No Uzbeks. Positive: No Uzbeks.
Original post by DinduCoffin
Negative: No Uzbeks. Positive: No Uzbeks.

Helpful. Serious replies please? This is so important:frown:
I live about 20 mins away from there and whenever I ve visited there it always seems quite small to me and I think both uni campuses are a bit of a trek if you re walking from town but it's easy to get trains to Manchester/Scotland if you do ever want to do some proper shopping.

Original post by littlenorthernlass
Can anyone who lives or studies in Lancaster please tell me what the city is really like? I so badly want some honest reviews about it, particularly to know the bad things about Lancaster!

Can anyone help?
Original post by claireestelle
I live about 20 mins away from there and whenever I ve visited there it always seems quite small to me and I think both uni campuses are a bit of a trek if you re walking from town but it's easy to get trains to Manchester/Scotland if you do ever want to do some proper shopping.

I like its smallness. I love the location. I'm just sure there must be something horrid and evil lurking there that I need to know before I decide to live there!
I like its smallness. I love the location. I'm just sure there must be something horrid and evil lurking there that I need to know before I decide to live there!

Well if you like small you d probably like it there as far as I know there's nothing evil in Lancaster :smile:
The city centre's okay, it's all open until about 6pm max - the clubs and bars are nice, not London standard but still quite fun when you go with the right people. If you're planning to study at Lancaster and are living on campus then you will probably spend most of your time on campus because the city centre is a whole 20 minute bus ride away and a lot of the days it'll just feel like too much effort to go. The campus is nice, you get familiarised with it within a maximum of two weeks so it's not massive but it has almost everything you need within a 15 min walking distance.
The bad things about Lancaster are mainly the weather, the lack of big stores and malls and the feeling of "what's next" - my entire of first term I felt kinda trapped because I felt like I'd seen all of Lancaster buuut this term I've been going on walks around the woodland areas and the hilly sides and to be honest it's pretty beautiful :smile:
I moved from London to Lancaster which was a pretty big change, I've lived in London my whole life so I'm very used to everything being close and having everything on hand - Lancaster is definitely quieter than London but I've started to really like it here. The biggest factors in my opinion are whether you like what you're studying and your groups of friends, you have to have people that you're close to and can have a good time with and after that eeeeevery other thing is bearable.
Any questions just ask :smile:
My parents went there. There was some tower people would throw themself off to kill themselves.
Original post by Noorisaurus1
The city centre's okay, it's all open until about 6pm max - the clubs and bars are nice, not London standard but still quite fun when you go with the right people. If you're planning to study at Lancaster and are living on campus then you will probably spend most of your time on campus because the city centre is a whole 20 minute bus ride away and a lot of the days it'll just feel like too much effort to go. The campus is nice, you get familiarised with it within a maximum of two weeks so it's not massive but it has almost everything you need within a 15 min walking distance.
The bad things about Lancaster are mainly the weather, the lack of big stores and malls and the feeling of "what's next" - my entire of first term I felt kinda trapped because I felt like I'd seen all of Lancaster buuut this term I've been going on walks around the woodland areas and the hilly sides and to be honest it's pretty beautiful :smile:
I moved from London to Lancaster which was a pretty big change, I've lived in London my whole life so I'm very used to everything being close and having everything on hand - Lancaster is definitely quieter than London but I've started to really like it here. The biggest factors in my opinion are whether you like what you're studying and your groups of friends, you have to have people that you're close to and can have a good time with and after that eeeeevery other thing is bearable.
Any questions just ask :smile:

Hi I would be going to the uni of Cumbria in Lancaster so not the actual Lancaster uni!
How do you find the people in Lancaster? Are there many chavs, is it mainly students, are there any families or old people, etc?
Plus how do you find it financially? Like does it cost a lot to live there?
Does the town have a nice atmosphere, or do people reek of 'this place is a dump'?
Thanks!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Anyone else???:puppyeyes:
Anyone else???:puppyeyes:

You can get into the lake district real easy.

You seem to like the countryside so that should be a big bonus.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
You can get into the lake district real easy.

You seem to like the countryside so that should be a big bonus.

I like looking at pictures of the countryside.:dontknow:

How are you?
I like looking at pictures of the countryside.:dontknow:

How are you?

But you don;t like being in the countryside? :confused:

You could go for walks in this at the weekend.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3500010/Stunning-Lake-District-views-Cumbrian-valleys-early-morning-walkers.html

Same as when we last met really.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
But you don;t like being in the countryside? :confused:

You could go for walks in this at the weekend.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3500010/Stunning-Lake-District-views-Cumbrian-valleys-early-morning-walkers.html

Same as when we last met really.

I'm not interested in that.:rolleyes: I want to know about Lancaster the CITY/TOWN as that is where I am living, not a shack in the countryside.

Oh, I see.:frown:

Anybody else?????? I am very close to firming my uni but do not want to be making a mistake!!
Reply 14
I'm not interested in that.:rolleyes: I want to know about Lancaster the CITY/TOWN as that is where I am living, not a shack in the countryside.

Oh, I see.:frown:

Anybody else?????? I am very close to firming my uni but do not want to be making a mistake!!

I live in Lancaster. It's fine no underlying horror stories that I'm aware of. If you are studying at UoC you will want to be staying in the bowerham area which is a nice part of town not many 'chavs' to be seen.
Bare that in mind when choosing accommodation. If the area looks like a council estate it probably is!
The town centre is not great for shopping but I still manage to wander round every week and spend money! Preston is only 20mins on train to offer better shops.
Cost of living... Suppose it's relative to where you come from but I'd say it's affordable.
All in all I like living here nice friendly town not too far from bigger cities/quiet hills.
Hope that helps!
Original post by kjp06
I live in Lancaster. It's fine no underlying horror stories that I'm aware of. If you are studying at UoC you will want to be staying in the bowerham area which is a nice part of town not many 'chavs' to be seen.
Bare that in mind when choosing accommodation. If the area looks like a council estate it probably is!
The town centre is not great for shopping but I still manage to wander round every week and spend money! Preston is only 20mins on train to offer better shops.
Cost of living... Suppose it's relative to where you come from but I'd say it's affordable.
All in all I like living here nice friendly town not too far from bigger cities/quiet hills.
Hope that helps!

Thank you! What would you say about the people of Lancaster? Is it mainly students/young people or are there families and old people etc too?
Reply 16
Thank you! What would you say about the people of Lancaster? Is it mainly students/young people or are there families and old people etc too?

It's a pretty friendly place a good mix of people old, young, families.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending