The Student Room Group

Mind=blown at women's materialism

Was just on the phone with my gf and she told me she has saved up £4k for like the past 10 years (money from birthdays, allowance from parents etc) just to save up to buy a Chanel handbag.

And her friends are the same - they all go gaga over designer handbags, clothes, shoes etc (they're obsessed with Dior, LV, Chanel, Prada etc)

Plus on the commute every day to work, I always see a different woman with an LV handbag. Why do women fixate on luxury items like this?

Scroll to see replies

idk maybe cause her handbag won't leave her for a younger, hotter woman?
maybe cause her handbag won't check out other girls racks and arse on the street?
Dumb girl.

You can get a fake one for £20 at my market.

You can't tell the difference
ladies be cray
Reply 4
10 years to save 4K?

Damn
4k for a handbag? :lol:

Mental.
Reply 6
I'm a girl and I don't understand either. :redface:
How about if it was a guy saving up for a flashy, expensive new car?

I agree that it's sad how materialistic some people are, but don't get how it's a gendered thing? I think people maybe see stereotypically girly luxuries as more stupid/frivolous than the stereotypically masculine equivalents, when they're actually pretty much on the same level.

Before anyone asks, I have no evidence to back this up lol it's just the impression I get sometimes ☺️
10 years to save 4k, where they working in Bangladesh or something?
Original post by aamirac
I'm a girl and I don't understand either. :redface:

same lol
one in 1000 girl maybe
not every girl is the same
Original post by Ishea16
same lol
one in 1000 girl maybe
not every girl is the same

True, I guess we all have a different view as to why we do this. :dontknow:
I hate shopping as well. :rofl:
I understand the importance of quality and would spend up £1000 on a coat, but that is because it is functional and not purely for the status symbol.
Reply 12
She'd rather buy a crap little bag no one cares about than go on holiday?

Original post by DiddyDec
I understand the importance of quality and would spend up £1000 on a coat, but that is because it is functional and not purely for the status symbol.

If it lasted like 5 winters and looked amazing sure.
(edited 8 years ago)
its a status symbol dont be jelly

although if she has to save for 10 years to afford one thats probably not the best way to spend her money.
Original post by aamirac
True, I guess we all have a different view as to why we do this. :dontknow:
I hate shopping as well. :rofl:

maybe it depends where you live and the people you are with? like peer pressure?
:biggrin:lol thats exactly what i mean, not all girls love shopping
im too lazy anyways to go shopping:colondollar:
Reply 15
Original post by khaleesi98
How about if it was a guy saving up for a flashy, expensive new car?

I agree that it's sad how materialistic some people are, but don't get how it's a gendered thing? I think people maybe see stereotypically girly luxuries as more stupid/frivolous than the stereotypically masculine equivalents, when they're actually pretty much on the same level.

Before anyone asks, I have no evidence to back this up lol it's just the impression I get sometimes ☺️

A car on the 'same level' as a handbag? RIP common sense,GG
Original post by Ishea16
maybe it depends where you live and the people you are with? like peer pressure?
:biggrin:lol thats exactly what i mean, not all girls love shopping
im too lazy anyways to go shopping:colondollar:

Maybe, but they might just have expensive taste. :redface:
Same here, I never like anything anyways. -_-
Original post by RatedR
A car on the 'same level' as a handbag? RIP common sense,GG

Haha obviously the difference between not having a car and having a car is important. But the difference between having a reliable car that you can get around with and having a more expensive car that still does the same job is pretty trivial to me, yeah. I do think that is the same kinda thing as wanting a designer handbag.
Original post by aamirac
Maybe, but they might just have expensive taste. :redface:
Same here, I never like anything anyways. -_-

fussy shopper? i know what you mean lol:lol:
Because woman are ****ing mental

Quick Reply

Latest