The Student Room Group

What is wrong with this government?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Optimum_
Increased tuition fees
Cutting maintenance grants

There's your two, but there are a million more.

Don't forget working on privatizing the NHS.
Original post by KatieBlogger
So we can't criticize this government because all governments make unpopular decisions? What kind of logic is that?

Point out where I said that.

Criticising is fine. But do so with perspective. We live in one of the most stable democracies on the planet, not some fascist hellscape.
Look at all these dirty dirty tories defending their indefensible budget.
Original post by Unkempt_One
What, increasing the school day? Where's the evidence that's going to improve the outcomes of children. For secondary school, I actually find it more likely keeping the same length and shifting the start to later in the day would improve performance.

The majority of kids get out off school without a single GCSE to their name "Last year, four-in-10 teenagers failed to achieve five A* to C grade GCSEs, including English and maths" - They either cant be bothered, and if they cant be bothered to increase their own job opportunities why should we have to pay for their upkeep did the tax payer ask them to fail their education and now be un-employable? I think not.

There is a STRONG correlation between the uneducated and the ones on benefits. Which makes the "immigrants are stealing the money" quite comical as most of the ethnic minorities are some of the highest achievers in the country. "the University of Bristol points out that only 34 per cent of Year 11 pupils (studying for GCSEs) are white British, the lowest performing ethnic group, compared to 84 per cent for the rest of the country."

So before you say people dont need longer schools hours, i think you will find it is only going to make people more competent in the job market. But hey i guess you can blame the tories for everything including your own failings - seems to be what everyone is doing.
Original post by TSRFT8
The majority of kids get out off school without a single GCSE to their name "Last year, four-in-10 teenagers failed to achieve five A* to C grade GCSEs, including English and maths" - They either cant be bothered, and if they cant be bothered to increase their own job opportunities why should we have to pay for their upkeep did the tax payer ask them to fail their education and now be un-employable? I think not.

There is a STRONG correlation between the uneducated and the ones on benefits. Which makes the "immigrants are stealing the money" quite comical as most of the ethnic minorities are some of the highest achievers in the country. "the University of Bristol points out that only 34 per cent of Year 11 pupils (studying for GCSEs) are white British, the lowest performing ethnic group, compared to 84 per cent for the rest of the country."

So before you say people dont need longer schools hours, i think you will find it is only going to make people more competent in the job market. But hey i guess you can blame the tories for everything including your own failings - seems to be what everyone is doing.

I would disagree with your statement about extending school hours. Finland, acknowledged as the best system has reduced their school day to five hours. The notion that longer hours equates with greater success is just nonsense and shows little understanding of the complex social issues that underscore the failure rates of the social group you mention. If you consider the background of the failing groups you might find poverty, inadequate housing and residing in areas with little if any employment opportunities as significant factors in poor performance. And please, no nonsense about moving somewhere else. That kind of response displays another equally simplistic answer to the serious social problems in the UK
Original post by DougallnDougall
I would disagree with your statement about extending school hours. Finland, acknowledged as the best system has reduced their school day to five hours. The notion that longer hours equates with greater success is just nonsense and shows little understanding of the complex social issues that underscore the failure rates of the social group you mention. If you consider the background of the failing groups you might find poverty, inadequate housing and residing in areas with little if any employment opportunities as significant factors in poor performance. And please, no nonsense about moving somewhere else. That kind of response displays another equally simplistic answer to the serious social problems in the UK

There is no "complex social issues" people here know they wont be left to starve and will always have the welfare state to save them. Go and visit countries were kids are walking 5 miles to get to school, sleeping rough just so they are not late, spending hours revising. By the way, i find that there are also kids from the same "social group" who are some of the hardest working, most ethnic minorities have only been here for a short while and their kids are some of the poorest in the country - yet they are some of the highest achievers. Lets not blame someones "poverty" as education is free. I attend a private school, there is a Indian girl - she is on a scholarship and she barely has £1 to her name for food, yet she is one of the brightest and most motivated kids in our school. She lives 30 miles from the school as the area she lives in is quite deprived yet she is here on time and often spends hours after school in the library. So you were saying about "complex social issues" more like complex sob stories to cover their failings.
Original post by TSRFT8
There is no "complex social issues" people here know they wont be left to starve and will always have the welfare state to save them. Go and visit countries were kids are walking 5 miles to get to school, sleeping rough just so they are not late, spending hours revising. By the way, i find that there are also kids from the same "social group" who are some of the hardest working, most ethnic minorities have only been here for a short while and their kids are some of the poorest in the country - yet they are some of the highest achievers. Lets not blame someones "poverty" as education is free. I attend a private school, there is a Indian girl - she is on a scholarship and she barely has £1 to her name for food, yet she is one of the brightest and most motivated kids in our school. She lives 30 miles from the school as the area she lives in is quite deprived yet she is here on time and often spends hours after school in the library. So you were saying about "complex social issues" more like complex sob stories to cover their failings.

Of course there are complex social issues! Are you for real? Which bubble universe do you inhabit? Don't you understand the relevance of contextual poverty?
Original post by DougallnDougall
Of course there are complex social issues! Are you for real? Which bubble universe do you inhabit? Don't you understand the relevance of contextual poverty?

No you are right there probably are, using that as an excuse though is a choice. Just because your family is poor does not mean you can not achieve highly. Just because you dont have a nice house does not mean you can not revise at home. Just because the area you live in is high in employment does not stop you from getting a great job and moving elsewhere.

These issues are all around the world, and many people have them. Look at countries like Pakistan, India. They are considered "third world countries" plagued by poverty, yet SO many of the kids when they come here dont use their poverty as an excuse. Why? Because back home they knew that they either work their socks off or they starve, here its alright the tax payers got you.
The worrying part is we have at least another 9 years of this as you and I have more chance of winning the next election than Jeremy Corbyn.
Reply 49
Original post by TSRFT8
Bedroom Tax: Are you joking WHY do you need a bedroom when no one is living there? If you need the tax payer to pay for your house what gives you the right too own a 5 bedroom house with 3 people?

Cuts to tax credits: Lets discuss child tax credits, the welfare state is TOO big, you can not sit and expect the rich to pay for everything for you. If you cant afford to have kids why are you having them? The taxpayer did not have your kid why should they pay for it?

Ongoing cocking up on benefits system: Lets be honest, the welfare state is too big, the benefits as they were just a breeding ground for people to be lazy and not go to work as there was no/is no incentive too work with the amount of thing available to those on benefits (most people on JSA DO NOT want to work lets just be honest). Yes some people genuinely need it and those people should get MORE but some people were stealing a living. However i do not blame them if i was getting £15k on benefits and £13k in a 40 hour week job i wouldnt pick the latter either.

Cuts to social care, underfunded mental health services: I have done work experience with Psychiatrist, the things people come in there for i am suprised the doctors dont get pissed off, one lady came in saying "im going to kill myself tonight doc" lets be honest you arent you just want somewhere to stay for the night - And i was right, she came back 2 weeks later, shock.

That spare bedroom may have someone living there. Under the rules, children under 10 are able to share bedrooms with opposite sex siblings, that rises to 16 for same sex siblings. At the age of 9 and 7, me and my brother fought like cats and dogs. Had we been forced to share bedrooms, we would almost certainly have either killed each other or given our mum a nervous breakdown. Having our own space was essential.

Why should a child be punished for being born to poor parents? Why should a child be forced to grow up in poverty?

Benefits are not generous. They are scarcely enough to live on. Most people on JSA have worked previously and want to work again.

You have clearly never suffered with your mental health. It is not an excuse nor is it something you can just get over. Currently, the waiting list for CAMHS is about six months long. In that time, the individual just gets worse and suffers incredibly. Is it right that a child who is self harming and in a great deal of emotional pain has to suffer for six months before they can get any professional support.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Original post by TSRFT8
No you are right there probably are, using that as an excuse though is a choice. Just because your family is poor does not mean you can not achieve highly. Just because you dont have a nice house does not mean you can not revise at home. Just because the area you live in is high in employment does not stop you from getting a great job and moving elsewhere.

These issues are all around the world, and many people have them. Look at countries like Pakistan, India. They are considered "third world countries" plagued by poverty, yet SO many of the kids when they come here dont use their poverty as an excuse. Why? Because back home they knew that they either work their socks off or they starve, here its alright the tax payers got you.

For some children, home is noisy, damp, cold and crowded. They cannot work there because they have nowhere quiet to work.

You try doing quadratic equations when you're hungry, you've got a cold, your asthma's playing up, your siblings are playing loudly next to you and you don't really understand the work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TSRFT8

I said evidence. What you're basically advocating is "There's a problem so we must do SOEMEFEFRMEREMEMETHING" platform which is basically a mental trap for politicians to take counter-productive actions while feeling they're contributing. In this case your argument unravels fairly quickly when you consider the question "if students are feeling disengaged with schooling, would forcing them into doing more schooling per day make them better off?".
[QUOTE=Katty3;63513341 At the age of 9 and 7, me and my brother fought like cats and dogs. Had we been forced to share bedrooms, we would almost certainly have either killed each other or given our mum a nervous breakdown. Having our own space was essential.

You have clearly never suffered with your mental health. It is not an excuse nor is it something you can just get over. Currently, the waiting list for CAMHS is about six months long. In that time, the individual just gets worse and suffers incredibly. Is it right that a child who is self harming and in a great deal of emotional pain has to suffer for six months before they can get any professional support.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You and your brother fighting is the problem of you and your parents not the taxpayer lets not get this twisted. If you cant even be taught to care for your siblings your upbringing was MAJORLY the problem. As i mentioned before, i have done work experience in the mental health - with psychiatrists, they worked 9-5 (2 of the team were also on-call at night) and there was constantly people coming in just wasting time. Infact out of the 50 or so patients i think 1 of them actually was what you call "mentally unwell" the rest well they were just extending the ques. So dont blame the government blame the people wasting time they are the ones extending the waiting time.

Original post by Katty3
For some children, home is noisy, damp, cold and crowded. They cannot work there because they have nowhere quiet to work.

You try doing quadratic equations when you're hungry, you've got a cold, your asthma's playing up, your siblings are playing loudly next to you and you don't really understand the work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Schools have libraries, most places have libraries. Lets not make excuses for kids failings. There are many kids who live in worse conditions yet still managed to revise and pass with flying colors.

consider the question "if students are feeling disengaged with schooling, would forcing them into doing more schooling per day make them better off?".

The reason kids are not bothered about school is simply because they are either content with working on minimum wage or know that the country will always be there to give them handouts. Why do you think ethnic minorities ALWAYS perform better than British kids? Answer that question - it will answer most of your queries.
Reply 53
Original post by TSRFT8
You and your brother fighting is the problem of you and your parents not the taxpayer lets not get this twisted. If you cant even be taught to care for your siblings your upbringing was MAJORLY the problem. As i mentioned before, i have done work experience in the mental health - with psychiatrists, they worked 9-5 (2 of the team were also on-call at night) and there was constantly people coming in just wasting time. Infact out of the 50 or so patients i think 1 of them actually was what you call "mentally unwell" the rest well they were just extending the ques. So dont blame the government blame the people wasting time they are the ones extending the waiting time.

Schools have libraries, most places have libraries. Lets not make excuses for kids failings. There are many kids who live in worse conditions yet still managed to revise and pass with flying colors.

The reason kids are not bothered about school is simply because they are either content with working on minimum wage or know that the country will always be there to give them handouts. Why do you think ethnic minorities ALWAYS perform better than British kids? Answer that question - it will answer most of your queries.

Siblings fight. They just do. They have to live together for years with no possibility of divorce or any space. Married couples fight and they chose to live together. Siblings don't. It was not a viable option for me and my brother to share.

My upbringing wasn't the problem. Me and my brother just had a major personality clash. He was into weaponry, I was into books. I practiced my trumpet whilst he wanted to play lego. We couldn't share.

Also, a "spare" bedroom could be a box room used by a carer for a disabled child.

You haven't experienced first hand what mental health problems are like. I can guarantee that the vast majority were mentally ill. They just may not have been showing you their symptoms or you are just inconsiderate of their symptoms.

Have you tried revising in those conditions? No? How can you possibly understand what that's like.

Actually, in the most deprived areas there are fewer libraries and they are open for a shorter amount of time. School libraries may not be open in the evening.

Have you studied education sociology? There are many barriers to learning that may not be immediately obvious to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TSRFT8

I just think this picture of underachievement is purely speculative and based on an extremely elitist view of society that in the current decade is fundamentally incorrect.
Reply 55
The Tories, from milk snatchers to limb snatchers.
Reply 56
My biggest problem with this government is not mainly what they're doing but what they're not doing.
I just think this picture of underachievement is purely speculative and based on an extremely elitist view of society that in the current decade is fundamentally incorrect.

Well answer my question and it will prove why it is not incorrect.
Original post by TSRFT8
Well answer my question and it will prove why it is not incorrect.

The premise of your question is just casual racism, against children no less. You have no evidence to back up your argument, just an un-sourced statistic (which I think is correct but has more context to it) and a chain of warped reasoning to your conclusion that 40% of children are happy to be on handouts or minimum wage.

EDIT: I'll add more to explain where I'm coming from on this issue. In education I think there are very few factors which have been directly linked to increasing achievement, which are enormously outnumbered by factors which seem to be correlated with achievement but in fact don't have a particular effect in isolation. So there are loads of wives' tales about education best practices out there. One of these is class size, where I think the evidence is very mixed. As much as I admired Michael Gove for his curriculum reforms, which I think were badly needed from a perspective of global competitiveness (in reality I think it overshot simply 'matching' East Asia and whatnot) he was very bad for this sort of stuff. The example that sticks out in my mind was the insistence on linear A levels, which basically took away the main route disadvantaged students had to getting in university; smashing the AS exams. The idea of linear A levels being better was inherently tinged by nostalgia and politics.

In reality, there are usually multiple ways of achieving the desired results, and any preference for one over the other is essentially a question of politics in the absence of evidence. In the case of lengthening the school day I don't think the premise really adds up. Yes, East Asians spend ungodly hours in school and studying. East Asian children are also more unhappy and have high suicide rates, and although they score well in the PISA rankings, their education in social sciences is deeply rooted in rote learning random historical and cultural facts to the extent they have at best an archaic view of the study of history and literature. Finns have shorter school days and probably much less homework but achieve competitive outcomes. If achieving better outcomes for students is a choice between innovation or forcing them to give up their free time I think I know which is preferable in the cultural context of the United Kingdom.
(edited 8 years ago)
If you read his message properly, you will find that he said the opposite of what you are complaining about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending