The Student Room Group

Third class degree, what next?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WBZ144
This is where the exact problem lies. Do you think that the OP should not at least try for it before giving up?

TBF phoebe was just pointing oyt its unlikely a person getting 3rds suddenly learns the techniques to score firsts. Ofc he should try his best, but its all a big lesson. When he found out he couldnt hack it he should have left and found soemthing else.

looking forward its soemthing to learn from but not to deter him from making a success of soemthing else.
Original post by smirnoff
Yes actually quite a bit of experience. To be honest I don't want to stay in the UK and want a job abroad.

If you have enough experience to get you a job in your field then try your luck at that. If your grades are a hindrance then try doing a generic part-time job while volunteering on the side until you have enough experience to get a better job. Going abroad sounds tempting but remember that you could lose your job and end up having to come back home so make sure that you have a back up plan in case this happens. You need to be sure that you have a good enough CV to be able to get a job if you come back.
Original post by Lawliettt
It's bad enough having a third. But ffs you did it at Liverpool uni. It's all over m8. You won't even be allowed onto masters without a 2:1. And finding a job is already very difficult for people on 2:2s. I imagine looking for an engineering job on a third is impossible.

I recommend becoming a maths teacher

Nonsense. It's a very good and reputable university and it's in the top 10 nationally for subjects such as Vet Med and Physiotherapy. It's also a Russell Group university. Excellent facilities, great location, the biggest student union (Guild) in the country, all round decent university. As for your advice to the OP, totally unhelpful.

Original post by RamocitoMorales
Is this what it's come to? People are scoffing at Russel Group universities now? :sigh:
Strange isn't it.

OP, do your best to bump it up to a 2.2, apply for mit circs if you have them and look at getting as much work exp in a field that interests you once you graduate. Best of luck - whatever happens, it's not the end of the world. There are other opportunities in life other than 2.1 grad schemes.
Original post by 999tigger
TBF phoebe was just pointing oyt its unlikely a person getting 3rds suddenly learns the techniques to score firsts. Ofc he should try his best, but its all a big lesson. When he found out he couldnt hack it he should have left and found soemthing else.

looking forward its soemthing to learn from but not to deter him from making a success of soemthing else.

I do see where your coming from but I think anyone can achieve it if they have the drive and this is his last chance. He should absolutely be prepared for where his life is headed if he does get a Third but I'm just not comfortable with the way her post was worded. I guess it makes me wonder whether posts like that would be discouraging, because some people will take the easy way out if they have been convinced that the hard way won't pay off (not saying that the OP is one of them for sure).
Original post by WBZ144
I do see where your coming from but I think anyone can achieve it if they have the drive and this is his last chance. He should absolutely be prepared for where his life is headed if he does get a Third but I'm just not comfortable with the way her post was worded. I guess it makes me wonder whether posts like that would be discouraging, because some people will take the easy way out if they have been convinced that the hard way won't pay off (not saying that the OP is one of them for sure).

I just think she was being honest, am sure the OP has heard and thought a lot worse. Try his best is all he cna do.
Original post by 999tigger
I just think she was being honest, am sure the OP has heard and thought a lot worse. Try his best is all he cna do.

Hmm...I suppose you're right.
Reply 26
No point getting his hopes up he's not going to suddenly go from 3rds to firsts in the final and most difficult year. If you haven't got those grades before It will be hard to gage how much work is necessary.

Op the difficulty will be in getting your first job - ignore the big companies hiring graduates they will take ages to respond and won't give you a chance with a 3rd. Apply for smaller career -relevant companies they will be more likely to give you an interview.

After the first job nobody cares about your degree so don't be too disheartened.
I'm in my final semester of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Liverpool. From my results, it looks like I'm on a third class degree. I did try quite hard, but the course was just so hard and I'm lucky that I passed everything so far.
Anyway, in terms of jobs, or masters degrees, what next? Is it best for me to go abroad?

I don't want any silly responses, I've already heard 'work at Mcdonalds' or 'become like Carol Vorderman.' She got famous for her tits, and I don't have tits.

Have you actually looked for jobs yet? To be honest it's probably not a good idea for you to be looking at jobs until you have sat your final exam as you should be putting all your effort into studying. But if you have looked for jobs, you will see that there are some out there that do not specify a certain degree class.

And then there's the fact that a lot of jobs simply are not advertised. Google "hidden jobs market". Once you've got your degree, get out there, network, talk to people, see what's available.
Reply 28

I'm not giving bad advice. I'm simply being blunt and not sugarcoating it. To the people telling OP he could get a 2:2 (which is still poor) if he averages a first in his remaining exams, lol. I highly doubt someone who let themselves be on a third for this long has the ethic to jump straight to a first in a few weeks. That being said, OP i hope you prove me wrong. Doesn't liverpool allow you to retake modules from previous years?

Wonder if people even read the posts...
I'm in my final semester of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Liverpool. From my results, it looks like I'm on a third class degree. I did try quite hard, but the course was just so hard and I'm lucky that I passed everything so far.
Anyway, in terms of jobs, or masters degrees, what next? Is it best for me to go abroad?.

Focus on two things -

1. Doing the very best you can in all upcoming assessed work, and trying to get your grade up to a 2.2 and
2. Get down to the university career centre and get as much help as they can give, and in particular, leverage the alumni network. Ex Liverpool Mech Eng grads are much more likely to be sympathetic to a 3rd than anyone else. Get a job through a connection like that, work at it for 2-3 years, and it will all be done and dusted.

Forget ideas like going overseas (unless you have a decent network already established an country) or getting a Masters (you won't get a decent one, so it will be money down the drain) or leveraging improved grades out of the system (employers aren't nearly as sympathetic as Unis are)

if none of that works, then look at yourself and see if you have any talents or interests that aren't degree related and could be used in a paying role (music, volunteering, conservation, sports coaching etc)
I'm assuming you've never visited liverpool. Evident from the fact that you called it a lovely area. You're the one that can't be taken seriously

Spent 20 years there actually and I'm a graduate of the uni.
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Spent 20 years there actually and I'm a graduate of the uni.

Then you should realise that "lovely area" is the last thing anyone would use to describe it. That alone is the reason why I don't believe you.

But back on the establishment, for a RG uni, it's below average. For unis in the UK, it's decent. (just not worth the 9k a year when there are better unis asking for the same or lower grades. And for mechanical engineering it's relatively poor. Hence why i said getting a third in mechanical engineering at liverpool is a double loss
But back on the establishment, for a RG uni, it's below average. For unis in the UK, it's decent. (just not worth the 9k a year when there are better unis asking for the same or lower grades. And for mechanical engineering it's relatively poor. Hence why i said getting a third in mechanical engineering at liverpool is a double loss

How do you know it's below average for mechanical engineering, and do you really think that people outside of TSR know which universities are and are not in the Russell Group, let alone which ones are above and below average in said group?
Actually I was suffering from a few mental health problems during my degree. I suffered from depression and anxiety and am still on medication.

My anxiety has subsided a bit and that's why to be honest I don't really care too much about the future. I'm just interested on knowing what options are there available from people who get third class degrees.

Same here bro.
Original post by Smack
How do you know it's below average for mechanical engineering, and do you really think that people outside of TSR know which universities are and are not in the Russell Group, let alone which ones are above and below average in said group?

Employers for graduate engineering jobs are obviously going to be aware of universities and how they are for that subject. Getting a third at liverpool is putting you near the bottom of the pile.

And i know it's below average because I know people that studied it there in the past. None had good experiences

An opinion that's reinforced by various rankings. E.g

http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2015/may/25/university-guide-2016-league-table-for-mechanical-engineering

Where it sits at 40th. If that's not below average I don't know what is. I'm not bashing every course there. But Mechanical engineering at liverpool isn't "very good" as someone claimed
Employers for graduate engineering jobs are obviously going to be aware of universities and how they are for that subject. Getting a third at liverpool is putting you near the bottom of the pile.

And i know it's below average because I know people that studied it there in the past. None had good experiences

http://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2015/may/25/university-guide-2016-league-table-for-mechanical-engineering

Where it sits at 40th. If that's not below average I don't know what is. I'm not bashing every course there. But Mechanical engineering at liverpool isn't "very good" as someone claimed

How many employers did you speak to before making a completely unsubstantiated assumption such as the above?

Outside of 'prestige whore' industries, no one largely cares where you went as long as you're good enough to get the job done. The reason some engineering companies may have a surplus of grads from a university is because they have links with said university (i.e. for research) or the university is close by. You need to step out of this TSR mentality for just one second to realise this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Employers for graduate engineering jobs are obviously going to be aware of universities and how they are for that subject.

I have yet to hear of an employer who keeps a database of the relative performances of universities across the engineering disciplines. In reality, few people have much knowledge or interest in this, because it's all much of muchness. It's the candidate they are interviewing, not the university.

Getting a third at liverpool is putting you near the bottom of the pile.

Getting a third from anywhere will help guide your CV to the bottom of the pile, but the Liverpool name hardly accentuates this.

The metrics on the newspaper rankings are hardly metrics that are relevant to industry... elaborate on what qualities and features are needed to make a university "good" at mechanical engineering and how Liverpool lacks these compared to other universities.
Reply 37
Original post by Princepieman
How many employers did you speak to before making a completely unsubstantiated assumption such as the above?

Outside of 'prestige whore' industries, no one largely cares where you went as long as you're good enough to get the job done. The reason some engineering companies may have a surplus of grads from a university is because they have links with said university (i.e. for research) or the university is close by. You need to step out of this TSR mentality for just one second to realise this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mate, he is citing the guardian rankings to prove his point. It's quite obvious he doesn't know what he's talking about...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *Stefan*
Mate, he is citing the guardian rankings to prove his point. It's quite obvious he doesn't know what he's talking about...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Loooooool, I wasn't going to comment on it. It's obvious to anyone with a decently sized noggin that the rankings the Guardian produce are mostly fluff

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *Stefan*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol i don't have to search every ranking in the country. Simply google mechanical engineering university rankings. I'll apologise to you and whoever else if you prove me wrong in saying it's mediocre.

Original post by Smack
I have yet to hear of an employer who keeps a database of the relative performances of universities across the engineering disciplines. In reality, few people have much knowledge or interest in this, because it's all much of muchness. It's the candidate they are interviewing, not the university.

Getting a third from anywhere will help guide your CV to the bottom of the pile, but the Liverpool name hardly accentuates this.

The metrics on the newspaper rankings are hardly metrics that are relevant to industry... elaborate on what qualities and features are needed to make a university "good" at mechanical engineering and how Liverpool lacks these compared to other universities.

Of course they don't have a database themselves. But they know which universities give graduates the specific skills required for a job and which don't. That's why there are companies that target specific uni graduates. Like there's chemical engineering companies in Scotland that target heriott watt graduates. Maths and investment banking graduates at Warwick and LSE are also favoured jobs in their respected fields. And there's companies abroad that only accept applications from candidates of specific unis. A degree in mechanical engineering for manchester metropolitan will be offputting for an employer. Regardless of their interview. Telling yourself otherwise would be lying.

As for your last paragraph, simply go to all those sites ranked liverpool low on mechanical engineering and see what they factor in. One or 2 rankings? Ok it may not be significant. Every one?( I haven't seen one saying otherwise yet), that's worrying. Once again, I'm not bashing all the departments. I just know mech eng at liverpool is relatively poor. Liverpool isn't the only decent uni with a poor department. UCL also springs to mind with chemical engineering ( http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3681013&page=3&p=63507537#post63507537 ) . On the contrary, there are also lower ranked unis that are excellent in some specific courses. It's always been that way.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending