The Student Room Group

Anxiety medication???

Hey, to anybody who has an anxiety disorder: what medications did you find did or didn't help you? Also, which one would you say has the least of the paradoxcial psychological side-effects (i.e. increasing anxiety etc.)? I'm seeing my GP today and want to know what I am or am not willing to take,

thanks!

Scroll to see replies

I have been on a few different anti-depressants. Sertraline (Zoloft) helped my anxiety the most. I took it for about 5 months last year before switching to another anti-depressant (unrelated to anxiety), but it helped reduce my anxiety massively. I've just tried it again after being on a few that made my anxiety worse, and after only 2 weeks of taking it, the main side-effect I have had is an increase in anxiety. So I guess it's hit and miss, but I hear a lot of stories about how SSRIs (anti-depressants) help anxiety as well as depression and other mental health disorders. There are also other options such as tablets you take as and when you need them, I've never been on these, and there are also benzodiazapene but I'm not sure about this. I don't know much about the last two options. SSRIs are definitely worth a shot though in my opinion.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, to anybody who has an anxiety disorder: what medications did you find did or didn't help you? Also, which one would you say has the least of the paradoxcial psychological side-effects (i.e. increasing anxiety etc.)? I'm seeing my GP today and want to know what I am or am not willing to take,

thanks!

Are u referring to social anxiety?
Reply 3

thanks!

I don't think they will offer you much if it's just anxiety. Maybe benzos to take as needed. GPs don't prescribe it 'long term' though. Which can be a bit of a pain for those who need them. Or they might give you betablockers which don't really help.
(edited 8 years ago)
I've been on beta blockers and found they help short term but your body adapts to them quite quickly so they aren't effective for very long. Also they just reduce the physical symptoms of anxiety like a racing heart and don't do anything for the psychological side of the issue....
You will have seen your GP now, but just to provide you with someone else's experience I was prescribed Citalopram a month ago for my anxiety (I've struggled with anxiety since 2008 but this is the first time I've tried an anti-depressant after realising I might need some pharmaceutical help to allow me to get back to a normal life). He started me on a low dose and I have to see him again tomorrow so he can increase the dose and discuss how things are going with me. So far I haven't had much of a result from the medication, but I was warned that it might take 4 to 6 weeks to see results and the important thing is to continue taking the pills because sometimes people give up because they think they aren't working before they've even had a chance to. The good news is I also haven't had any bad side effects from the tablets, and that's one of the fears I had that have stopped me taking them in the past. It obviously can't be guaranteed that everyone will get no/minimal side effects, but there are so many scare-stories out there that I think it's important to let people know that sometimes people take these things without a dramatic first month full of side-effects.
Reply 6
Original post by mscaffrey
You will have seen your GP now, but just to provide you with someone else's experience I was prescribed Citalopram a month ago for my anxiety (I've struggled with anxiety since 2008 but this is the first time I've tried an anti-depressant after realising I might need some pharmaceutical help to allow me to get back to a normal life). He started me on a low dose and I have to see him again tomorrow so he can increase the dose and discuss how things are going with me. So far I haven't had much of a result from the medication, but I was warned that it might take 4 to 6 weeks to see results and the important thing is to continue taking the pills because sometimes people give up because they think they aren't working before they've even had a chance to. The good news is I also haven't had any bad side effects from the tablets, and that's one of the fears I had that have stopped me taking them in the past. It obviously can't be guaranteed that everyone will get no/minimal side effects, but there are so many scare-stories out there that I think it's important to let people know that sometimes people take these things without a dramatic first month full of side-effects.

You are lucky you aren't getting any side effects from Citalopram - I was on it for a very short time and almost drove me insane, it was like a very, very bad drug trip!
Reply 7
Are u referring to social anxiety?

No, general anxiety (I think)
Original post by Ciel.
You are lucky you aren't getting any side effects from Citalopram - I was on it for a very short time and almost drove me insane, it was like a very, very bad drug trip!

I was really worried about the possible effects so I'm happy that I've managed to do a month without anything of note (I did have one afternoon right at the beginning of taking it where my head wouldn't stop racing but the next day I came down with bad flu so I put that down to me getting ill). I'm just hoping that an increase in the dose won't trigger a bad response, but I'm guessing that most people who have a bad response to a drug would have it even while on a low dose at least to some extent. A few years ago I had a bad reaction to an anti-nausea drug and it only took three doses of that for me to end up in A&E with involuntary neck and eye muscle spasms.
Sertraline I found helpful.
Reply 10
Original post by mscaffrey
I was really worried about the possible effects so I'm happy that I've managed to do a month without anything of note (I did have one afternoon right at the beginning of taking it where my head wouldn't stop racing but the next day I came down with bad flu so I put that down to me getting ill). I'm just hoping that an increase in the dose won't trigger a bad response, but I'm guessing that most people who have a bad response to a drug would have it even while on a low dose at least to some extent. A few years ago I had a bad reaction to an anti-nausea drug and it only took three doses of that for me to end up in A&E with involuntary neck and eye muscle spasms.

Yeah you should be fine now. I think I was only on 10mg or 20mg and it already messed me up, so you'd probably have side effects by now.
Reply 11
Depends on your GP I guess. Some GPs are impossible to deal with.
I've been on Propranolol since November and I'm currently taking 40mg as and when I need it, it worked well for a while but its effectiveness seems to be decreasing. I'll be trying out CBT after I finish uni, but until then, should I go and speak to my doctor about trying other medications? I'm not sure if I want to go on SSRIs or anything like that unless it's absolutely necessary.
Reply 13
Original post by rainbow.panda
I've been on Propranolol since November and I'm currently taking 40mg as and when I need it, it worked well for a while but its effectiveness seems to be decreasing. I'll be trying out CBT after I finish uni, but until then, should I go and speak to my doctor about trying other medications? I'm not sure if I want to go on SSRIs or anything like that unless it's absolutely necessary.

Well there isn't really anything else. Propranolol is a betablocker. The only other options are benzos or antidepressants.
Original post by rainbow.panda

I would definitely go and mention that the Propranolol has lessened in terms of effectiveness just so they can make a note of it and advise you on your options. In terms of trying another medication it really depends on how much your anxiety is affecting you in your day to day life. If you feel able to continue at uni with minimal distress then you might be able to hold off on an SSRI, but if your anxiety is having an impact on your life and study then it might be worth trying something if your doctor recommends it. To be honest, I wish I'd tried an SSRI sooner than I've ended up doing it. I've struggled for far too long with my anxiety out of a fear of medication and it really has affected my life in a big way. I don't know if my current medication will make a difference to my anxiety but it's given me a bit of hope.
Nurofen Plus? Is that not just like ibuprofen?

OP Lorazepam works for me but only in extreme emergencies. It's not for regular usage

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Airfairy
Nurofen Plus? Is that not just like ibuprofen?

OP Lorazepam works for me but only in extreme emergencies. It's not for regular usage

Posted from TSR Mobile

In my opinion, benzos can be used regularly. There are no other options for some people. Doctors are wrong about them. But that's just my opinion ; )
Reply 17
I was too annoyed to deal with them. I honestly felt like a freaking beggar. I did not like it and don't get my bzs from them anymore. I don't think they'd prescribe me the amount I need anyway.
Reply 18
Isn't that bad for your liver though?
Original post by Ciel.
Depends on your GP I guess. Some GPs are impossible to deal with.

Are GPs generally willing to prescribe them in the first place? I've tried a lot of things in regards to anxiety, I've been on SSRI's etc. and nothing much worked except Setraline (but the second time round gave me more anxiety).

Sorry for hijacking your thread OP.

Quick Reply

Latest