The Student Room Group

Self studying math, further math and physics in 1 year.

Sounds crazy but I plan to start studying 30 hours a week during summer up until the exams.
Do you think thats enough time to study and get two a's and an a*? Do you think the work load is sustainable as all I will be doing is reading from textbooks and answering questions?

I have a couple questions around doing these alevels early.
1. Do I have to do my AS's or can I just do the A2 tests and come out with an alevel?
2.if you had done 1 or all of these subjects, how difficult was it for you and how much more/less difficult do you think it will be for me (keeping in mind I wont do classwork but just read from books practically)?
3. If you have information about diffrent exam boards which one should I choose? (as im self studying doing practicals and coursework would be difficult)
1. You need to do the AS as well as the A2 to get the A-level overall.

2. I self studied Further Maths. It was 'straightforward' as I mostly studied the Statistics modules which are very straightforward and self explanatory (the Edexcel books tell you exactly what you need to know and you don't really need any profound insight or natural ability for it, as opposed to something like Mechanics).

As for how much time it takes.. learning the content doesn't take long (use videos online like examsolutions if you wish) but practicing is what will take the most time. If you're not going to classes then you can afford to spend a fair amount of time per day studying.

I would suggest aiming to finish at least all of the AS units for each subject (you can even start in the summer if you are that keen) and then A2s by maybe mid-April, but not sure how it would work if you have to deal with practicals.

3. I don't know anything about the new specification for Physics, sorry!
For the new spec in physics you will not have to sit AS exams, as the subject is linear. You will have no coursework, but you will have to complete 12 practicals and their write-ups to be assessed on certain competencies - I have no idea how this would work on your own, sorry.

I don't know when maths and further maths become linear, so you may have to sit all 12 exams for maths in the year.

Why is it necessary to do all this in one year? Self teaching subjects is hard enough on it's own, never mind covering all the content in half the time.
Reply 3
Original post by h8skoooooool
For the new spec in physics you will not have to sit AS exams, as the subject is linear. You will have no coursework, but you will have to complete 12 practicals and their write-ups to be assessed on certain competencies - I have no idea how this would work on your own, sorry.

I don't know when maths and further maths become linear, so you may have to sit all 12 exams for maths in the year.

Why is it necessary to do all this in one year? Self teaching subjects is hard enough on it's own, never mind covering all the content in half the time.

Their isnt an exact reason for it but I just really want to either get into the working world, or learn and advance my knowledge of computer programming so I can gain a year of skill in a proffetion I enjoy.
Reply 4
maths not math!!!!!!!
Original post by KBB1
Their isnt an exact reason for it but I just really want to either get into the working world, or learn and advance my knowledge of computer programming so I can gain a year of skill in a proffetion I enjoy.

Trust me, you will have many years to experience the working world. I think you'll really regret cramming all your education in as soon as possible - enjoy being young while you still can!

By doing these A levels over two years, you will have plenty of time to read around computer programming and teach some stuff yourself. If you do everything in a year, you will have very little time to read around the subject I imagine.
Reply 6
Trust me, you will have many years to experience the working world. I think you'll really regret cramming all your education in as soon as possible - enjoy being young while you still can!

By doing these A levels over two years, you will have plenty of time to read around computer programming and teach some stuff yourself. If you do everything in a year, you will have very little time to read around the subject I imagine.

Trust me I'm not enjoying being young as you put it, not to say I dislike the subject just the lessons and would much prefer to get my a levels done as soon as possible and start doing something I do enjoy, ripping a band-aid off fast and all.
Its not only that, doing them in 1 year would be great in terms of university application.

Plus I wouldn't be calling this "cramming" my education in. 3 in one year isn't that bad especially if I'm working over terms and holidays and start this summer with a 30 hour a week work load working at my own pace (anyway a little bit of a challenge is always fun). I end up saving a year of my life, Improve my CV and uni application and start doing something I enjoy and focus on it solely; go for an apprenticeship or work.
Original post by KBB1
Trust me I'm not enjoying being young as you put it, not to say I dislike the subject just the lessons and would much prefer to get my a levels done as soon as possible and start doing something I do enjoy, ripping a band-aid off fast and all.
Its not only that, doing them in 1 year would be great in terms of university application.

Plus I wouldn't be calling this "cramming" my education in. 3 in one year isn't that bad especially if I'm working over terms and holidays and start this summer with a 30 hour a week work load working at my own pace (anyway a little bit of a challenge is always fun). I end up saving a year of my life, Improve my CV and uni application and start doing something I enjoy and focus on it solely; go for an apprenticeship or work.

I understand your viewpoint, though I should note that doing them all in one year will have very little (if any) effect on your application - as I have known people to do A levels over three years (as they resat modules in their gap year) and still gained a place at prestigious universities.

If you honestly think you can manage then go for it, I wish you good luck! But please make sure you are 100% prepared for everything e.g. you've discussed with the exam boards on how to complete your practicals, you know which spec to use (can be very confusing with the new linear ones out)
Reply 8
I understand your viewpoint, though I should note that doing them all in one year will have very little (if any) effect on your application - as I have known people to do A levels over three years (as they resat modules in their gap year) and still gained a place at prestigious universities.

If you honestly think you can manage then go for it, I wish you good luck! But please make sure you are 100% prepared for everything e.g. you've discussed with the exam boards on how to complete your practicals, you know which spec to use (can be very confusing with the new linear ones out)

Well thank you for your input, I'll keep it in mind. I'm starting my a levels early as a little test, if i cant sustain my workload ill go back to school or postpone my exams for the next November or year.
Have a wonderful day.
Original post by KBB1
Well thank you for your input, I'll keep it in mind. I'm starting my a levels early as a little test, if i cant sustain my workload ill go back to school or postpone my exams for the next November or year.
Have a wonderful day.

Yeah that sounds good, as long as you are tracking your progress you'll know what to do! Have a wonderful day too :smile:
Reply 10
Hey how did you do I'm thinking of doing the same subjects in 9 months so September to may/June
Reply 11
Original post by KBB1
Sounds crazy but I plan to start studying 30 hours a week during summer up until the exams.
Do you think thats enough time to study and get two a's and an a*? Do you think the work load is sustainable as all I will be doing is reading from textbooks and answering questions?

I have a couple questions around doing these alevels early.
1. Do I have to do my AS's or can I just do the A2 tests and come out with an alevel?
2.if you had done 1 or all of these subjects, how difficult was it for you and how much more/less difficult do you think it will be for me (keeping in mind I wont do classwork but just read from books practically)?
3. If you have information about diffrent exam boards which one should I choose? (as im self studying doing practicals and coursework would be difficult)

How is it going? Im thinking of doing same subjects but in 9 months

Quick Reply

Latest