The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Postgraduate application to Oxford

Hi I'm really interested in doing a postgraduate degree at Oxford. I'm currently in my second year of a primary education degree at Durham which I love but with all the rubbish that's going on in schools due to the government and experience working with upper ks2 (I much prefer ks1) and the fact I have loved academic assignments I am considering going into academia and doing a masters. I would love to do a masters course in education or child development and Oxford seems like a great course. However, I don't know whether I would be accepted as I'm doing a primary ed degree not straight education or psychology. I have always wanted to study at Oxford or Cambridge but due to having anorexia and depression at high school I wanted to study closer to home and I thought there was no way I would get in because I come from a poorer area of Leeds. . However, I'm fully recovered now. I achieved 4 a stars at a level and have revived firsts in all modules except science so far whilst at Durham.
Do you think I would get in or do you think I should consider other universities such as Huddersfield or Birmingham?
I'd suggest that you email the admissions department for your courses of interest and ask them whether they would accept applications from your undergraduate course.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by Philbert
I'd suggest that you email the admissions department for your courses of interest and ask them whether they would accept applications from your undergraduate course.

Thanks ! I'm hoping they will consider me as I've had a lot of experience in education.
Original post by Hannahmay01
Thanks ! I'm hoping they will consider me as I've had a lot of experience in education.

As others have said, email them & ask about your concerns regarding your degree. If they don't have a problem with that, I can't see why you wouldn't stand a very good chance at getting in, provided you continue to receive excellent grades at Durham, and can secure good references from a couple of lecturers.
Original post by gutenberg
As others have said, email them & ask about your concerns regarding your degree. If they don't have a problem with that, I can't see why you wouldn't stand a very good chance at getting in, provided you continue to receive excellent grades at Durham, and can secure good references from a couple of lecturers.

How would you go about getting references, all my lecturers I have spoken to seem to want me to do a masters at Durham and are even offering a scholarship?
Original post by Hannahmay01
How would you go about getting references, all my lecturers I have spoken to seem to want me to do a masters at Durham and are even offering a scholarship?

Simply ask them? Explain (either via email or in person) what it is that you're applying for, and ask them whether they would consider acting as a referee for you. Most lecturers, if you've done well on their course, would be happy to do so, as it's part of their job. Offer to send them any extra information that might be helpful for them when writing the reference (such as a full CV with details of any work experience, university prizes etc.), and the details of the course that you are applying for. I can't imagine you'll have too many problems if you've been doing well so far. Pick two or three in whose courses you've done especially well/you know them quite well/their courses are relevant to the postgrad you want to apply to, and ask them. I'd be surprised if any said no.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending