The Student Room Group

Does anyone still believe that depression is not a real illness and those that have?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by z33
Alright call them on Monday. Counseling should help. I know it's hard but hang in there, even if you hit your lowest point there is always a way out. PM if you need me/ want to vent. No problemo :smile:

PRSOM. :biggrin:
Original post by shawtyb
it was sarcasm, im not going to ask my dads views on it ffs
yes it is real

Haha my post was sarcastic as well, thats why I said in all seriousness after.
Reply 42
Original post by illness
it are attention seeking?

Because I would love to punch you on the face.

A lot of us have depression and so what? Why do you care about what others think? What a waste of energy.
Reply 43
Original post by Ciel.
A lot of us have depression and so what? Why do you care about what others think? What a waste of energy.

Its destroying my life and it get worse everyday and I am at the stage I feel it will be like this forever and no matter what people say it will never get better so I want to kill myself bur I have not made any plans yet.
Reply 44
With this depressing I am failing university which in turn will **** me up for jobs.
This is a really good idea. I'm pretty sure gaming (specifically FPS games) have helped me deal with some of my MH issues.
Reply 46
Original post by illlness
Its destroying my life and it get worse everyday and I am at the stage I feel it will be like this forever and no matter what people say it will never get better so I want to kill myself bur I have not made any plans yet.

With this depressing I am failing university which in turn will **** me up for jobs.

This guy might help
[video="youtube;MGQx4_EIMCo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGQx4_EIMCo[/video]
Reply 47

Well it destroyed my life too, to an extent, but you can't expect everyone to understand you. You are probably very ignorant about some illnesses too and nobody is rubbing that in you face.
Reply 48

Sorry to break it to you but this doesn't mean ****. Even if you don't fail, do you think you'll suddenly be ok after you graduate? Surprise surprise, it will get worse. I struggled through uni also but passed, got a job and then.... and then things got ****ed up and I don't work now.
What I am trying to say is that you should get treatment now if you actually want to get better. Not saying that it will work. But it might.
It's definitely a real illness, you only need to look at the effects that anti depressants have on a sufferer to know that there was something wrong initially (on a biological basis). I do, however think that it's an illness that is possibly very over prescribed. This is probably because it has so many levels of severity. I think a lot of people who are labelled as 'clinically depressed' in the category of 'mild depression' can very easily not be suffering from depression. Just take a look at the criteria for mild depression, anyone who is feeling a bit down or who had a dramatic personality could fit it. But it is definitely a real illness!!!!
Reply 50
Original post by Ciel.
Well it destroyed my life too, to an extent, but you can't expect everyone to understand you. You are probably very ignorant about some illnesses too and nobody is rubbing that in you face.

I don't expect everyone to understand..

I ain't rubbing anything in anyones face.
Reply 51
Original post by Ciel.
Sorry to break it to you but this doesn't mean ****. Even if you don't fail, do you think you'll suddenly be ok after you graduate? Surprise surprise, it will get worse. I struggled through uni also but passed, got a job and then.... and then things got ****ed up and I don't work now.
What I am trying to say is that you should get treatment now if you actually want to get better. Not saying that it will work. But it might.

No but it will be a lot worse if I do fail. Which I probably will. And that annoys me so I just rant on here. Trying to get the anger out.

I just don't understand why I m like this.
Reply 52
Original post by whatssarcasm?
It's definitely a real illness, you only need to look at the effects that anti depressants have on a sufferer to know that there was something wrong initially (on a biological basis). I do, however think that it's an illness that is possibly very over prescribed. This is probably because it has so many levels of severity. I think a lot of people who are labelled as 'clinically depressed' in the category of 'mild depression' can very easily not be suffering from depression. Just take a look at the criteria for mild depression, anyone who is feeling a bit down or who had a dramatic personality could fit it. But it is definitely a real illness!!!!

Yeah i agree.
Reply 53
I don't expect everyone to understand..

I ain't rubbing anything in anyones face.

Well that was your main complain, in the first post anyway. You want everyone to understand that depression is a real thing.
There are only two explanations I guess. Trauma and/or some kind of brain issues humans don't understand yet.
Original post by illness
How am I bring yours all down? Sorry if I am. This is why I dont want to tell anyone about it that I know.

One good thing about being on the student room, it's anonymous! So if you want to talk to anyone that you don't know... Here we are! Plus I'm a bit like that, my best friend gets annoyed when I don't tell her anything, I find a bit of anonymity pretty comforting!
Reply 55
Original post by Ciel.
Well that was your main complain, in the first post anyway. You want everyone to understand that depression is a real thing.
There are only two explanations I guess. Trauma and/or some kind of brain issues humans don't understand yet.

I do but I understand that not everyone will. I was just tired and lost my mind when I made this thread.
Reply 56
Original post by illness
it are attention seeking?

Because I would love to punch you on the face.

Im no psychiatrist or psychologist but I know depression is a very real illness. There are varying degrees but I'd say it's as real as PST.
Original post by shawtyb
we have walk in centres here, there open from 8am till 8 pm every day of the year and longer during the winter

Interesting bit of information they don't have those in Scotland as I found out last year after a back op as needed almost daily dressing replacement but my local GP's nurses could only give me one appointment a week so had to go to A+E instead every day, well we have sexual health walk ins but not regular.
Original post by drbluebox
Interesting bit of information they don't have those in Scotland as I found out last year after a back op as needed almost daily dressing replacement but my local GP's nurses could only give me one appointment a week so had to go to A+E instead every day, well we have sexual health walk ins but not regular.

thats crazy! herewe dont have sexual health walk ins, you have to make an appointment for those but atm we have a swine flu and scarlett fever outbreak so the walk in centre has been a god send for parents mostly.
its basically just a doctors thats open all the time as you dont need appointments and they have a treatment room for minor things and can also arrange/call for an ambulance if needed too, and the best part is they cater for nearly everything such as walk in things for blood tests, other medical things etc and they have an emergency dentist and you just need to ring up and explain, you dont need to be registered there at all.

there trying to turn all this in to one giant super surgery for the county

Quick Reply

Latest