The Student Room Group

Good Luck Year 11! :D

If you're a year 11 student who is in the process of revising for your GCSEs and you 're not feeling too confident or happy at the moment, please take a moment to have a read o' this!

1.) You CAN do it!

Yes, you read correctly. As Henry Ford once said, "if you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, you won't" What is meant by that statement is if you adopt a positive and a 'I-can-do-it' attitude, you're essentially invincible because anything is possible. From learning that massive list of German vocab or learning the process of the life and death of stars, you can learn anything, provided that you adopt the right mindset and attitude!

2.) Have support.

Clarify to anyone around you, be it your siblings, mum, dad etc. that you're going to be embarking on some revision and ask them to be supportive and encouraging of you. Trust me when I say that words of encouragement and support from those you love go a *long* way!

3.) Don't focus on the 'what ifs' and what could go wrong.

If there's one way to crush your chances of doing well and destroying your can-do mindset, it's this. As long as you try your best and you've done the preparation you need, it's hard to go wrong. Don't focus on the future and what could possibly go wrong, let's say, in the next week or two. Just focus on the hour/day etc you have in front of you and just that. That way, you feel less panicky and it enables you to relax and revise material you need to know at your own pace.

4.) Don't compare yourself to others.

Don't compare yourself to that kid who's top of the class in everything or that kid who sits besides you in your maths class. We've all been through different experiences, we've all got different techniques and mechanisms that are individual to us and we've all got different strengths, weaknesses and things that we can offer.

Just focus on yourself and yourself only because after all, who is going to be taking these exams? You! That way, you've done yourself a favour by putting more time aside to focus on yourself and the things you need to cover before the real thing *and* by only focusing on yourself and getting to know what you're good at and what needs more work, you slowly become self-confident because of the fact you know and understand yourself better! And by doing so, knowing and understanding what you need will be *far* quicker and more efficient.

5.) Always take some time out to praise yourself and what you're good at.

If you ever find yourself lacking a lot of self-belief, stop what you're doing and get a notepad and a pen and write down what you're good at or what compliments people have paid you before that meant a lot to you. This will raise your self-esteem massively and you can look back on it every now and then to raise your self-esteem.

A lot of people I've spoken to have regularly said 'but I'm not good at anything!' but trust me when I say that there is at least *something* you're good at so don't lose hope! :smile:

6.) Put aside time at the end of the day to do absolutely *no* revision or anything that's associated with school and just RELAX!

This is absolutely essential, especially with your exams coming up. That way, you have a far better chance of getting yourself ready for sleep and not only that, by getting to sleep easier, you'll find that you're retaining information you've learned much easier and your body will also thank you for it!

Some suggestions to get yourself relaxed is to have a light snack like some tomato soup or a sandwich and read a book, watch TV or spend time with your family.

Finally...

Good luck Year 11!
I hope these tips helped and if anyone wants any advice, tips etc., please feel free to message me and I'll do what I can to help!

FLM3026 :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FLM3026
If you're a year 11 student who is in the process of revising for your GCSEs and you 're not feeling too confident or happy at the moment, please take a moment to have a read o' this!

1.) You CAN do it!

Yes, you read correctly. As Henry Ford once said, "if you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, you won't" What is meant by that statement is if you adopt a positive and a 'I-can-do-it' attitude, you're essentially invincible because anything is possible. From learning that massive list of German vocab or learning the process of the life and death of stars, you can learn anything, provided that you adopt the right mindset and attitude!

2.) Have support.

Clarify to anyone around you, be it your siblings, mum, dad etc. that you're going to be embarking on some revision and ask them to be supportive and encouraging of you. Trust me when I say that words of encouragement and support from those you love go a *long* way!

3.) Don't focus on the 'what ifs' and what could go wrong.

If there's one way to crush your chances of doing well and destroying your can-do mindset, it's this. As long as you try your best and you've done the preparation you need, it's hard to go wrong. Don't focus on the future and what could possibly go wrong, let's say, in the next week or two. Just focus on the hour/day etc you have in front of you and just that. That way, you feel less panicky and it enables you to relax and revise material you need to know at your own pace.

4.) Don't compare yourself to others.

Don't compare yourself to that kid who's top of the class in everything or that kid who sits besides you in your maths class. We've all been through different experiences, we've all got different techniques and mechanisms that are individual to us and we've all got different strengths, weaknesses and things that we can offer.

Just focus on yourself and yourself only because after all, who is going to be taking these exams? You! That way, you've done yourself a favour by putting more time aside to focus on yourself and the things you need to cover before the real thing *and* by only focusing on yourself and getting to know what you're good at and what needs more work, you slowly become self-confident because of the fact you know and understand yourself better! And by doing so, knowing and understanding what you need will be *far* quicker and more efficient.

5.) Always take some time out to praise yourself and what you're good at.

If you ever find yourself lacking a lot of self-belief, stop what you're doing and get a notepad and a pen and write down what you're good at or what compliments people have paid you before that meant a lot to you. This will raise your self-esteem massively and you can look back on it every now and then to raise your self-esteem.

A lot of people I've spoken to have regularly said 'but I'm not good at anything!' but trust me when I say that there is at least *something* you're good at so don't lose hope! :smile:

6.) Put aside time at the end of the day to do absolutely *no* revision or anything that's associated with school and just RELAX!

This is absolutely essential, especially with your exams coming up. That way, you have a far better chance of getting yourself ready for sleep and not only that, by getting to sleep easier, you'll find that you're retaining information you've learned much easier and your body will also thank you for it!

Some suggestions to get yourself relaxed is to have a light snack like some tomato soup or a sandwich and read a book, watch TV or spend time with your family.

Finally...

Good luck Year 11!
I hope these tips helped and if anyone wants any advice, tips etc., please feel free to message me and I'll do what I can to help!

WOW YOUR FULL OF POSITIVITY :smile:
Are you in year 11? if so how are you revising and what is your board for science?

Loved your tips though x
I'm probably going to do sooo crap
Reply 3
Original post by nisha.sri
WOW YOUR FULL OF POSITIVITY :smile:
Are you in year 11? if so how are you revising and what is your board for science?

Loved your tips though x

Thank you! :smile:

Nope, I am in Year 10 and I am in the process of finishing off my mocks and I thought considering you guys have also got important exams coming up, perhaps sharing some tips of my own might be beneficial to others like yourself!

I revise by reading a page at a time in a textbook or my exercise book, close the book and produce summaries of each section in my own words without referring back to the textbook/exercise book, I also use educational platforms such as Doddle, SAM Learning and go on About.com to revise German and science material. I also use these apps called Gojimo and Quizlet which are *excellent* in terms of revising your knowledge and reviewing any key terms or ideas you need to know and best of all, they're free! And my exam board for science is AQA :smile:

FLM3026
Original post by FLM3026
Thank you! :smile:

Nope, I am in Year 10 and I am in the process of finishing off my mocks and I thought considering you guys have also got important exams coming up, perhaps sharing some tips of my own might be beneficial to others like yourself!

I revise by reading a page at a time in a textbook or my exercise book, close the book and produce summaries of each section in my own words without referring back to the textbook/exercise book, I also use educational platforms such as Doddle, SAM Learning and go on About.com to revise German and science material. I also use these apps called Gojimo and Quizlet which are *excellent* in terms of revising your knowledge and reviewing any key terms or ideas you need to know and best of all, they're free! And my exam board for science is AQA :smile:

FLM3026

Oooh wow your revising a lot :smile: I am sure you will get good grades :smile: Haha are you doing core or triple science. I do the same type of revision as you when you revise form the text book :smile:
Original post by PrincessZara

Same here, I mean, I've got no idea how to revise...
Reply 6

I doubt it very much; I'm very sure that you'll do wonderful! :smile:

Just try and identify why it is you feel this way. Is it lack of confidence? Procrastination? The difficulty of the work? Feeling this sort of way tends to come down to several factors. Just try and identify why you feel this way and hopefully, it'll be easier for you to find solutions to these problems and make you feel more confident!

- The work is too difficult: try and do it yourself first. Go on platforms such as YouTube and type in the topic and watch about 2/3 clips and then try other ones like BBC Bitesize and read some notes. If this still doesn't work, see your teacher about clarification with regards to the material.

By doing this, you'll feel more confident about the material and the prospect of increasing your chances of success!

- Lack of confidence (see tips above and see if they help :smile: )

Another website that I recommend you visit is called LifeHack.org; they provide exceptionally accurate and insightful tips and advice with regards to school, motivation, confident etc. Here is the link for the website:
http://www.lifehack.org/

FLM3026
Reply 7
Original post by TheOtherSide.
Same here, I mean, I've got no idea how to revise...

Hello there!

Have you tried to identify what type of learner you are? Because once you've done that, finding techniques to enable you to absorb the material like a sponge will be much quicker and efficient.

I have a list of tips and tricks that I can recommend if you're a visual and/or auditory learner!

Thanks for the advice and the tips! Much appreciated, however I'm not a year 11 student, I'm actually revising for my A-level exams but still gonna take all this into consideration :smile: Good luck for your future exams!
Original post by FLM3026
I doubt it very much; I'm very sure that you'll do wonderful! :smile:

Just try and identify why it is you feel this way. Is it lack of confidence? Procrastination? The difficulty of the work? Feeling this sort of way tends to come down to several factors. Just try and identify why you feel this way and hopefully, it'll be easier for you to find solutions to these problems and make you feel more confident!

- The work is too difficult: try and do it yourself first. Go on platforms such as YouTube and type in the topic and watch about 2/3 clips and then try other ones like BBC Bitesize and read some notes. If this still doesn't work, see your teacher about clarification with regards to the material.

By doing this, you'll feel more confident about the material and the prospect of increasing your chances of success!

- Lack of confidence (see tips above and see if they help :smile: )

Another website that I recommend you visit is called LifeHack.org; they provide exceptionally accurate and insightful tips and advice with regards to school, motivation, confident etc. Here is the link for the website:
http://www.lifehack.org/

FLM3026

wow aha so much info, thanks!
Reply 10
Original post by nisha.sri
Oooh wow your revising a lot :smile: I am sure you will get good grades :smile: Haha are you doing core or triple science. I do the same type of revision as you when you revise form the text book :smile:

I do try!

I really want to succeed in Year 11 and get the grades I need to study the A-levels I want to do at Sixth Form.

I hope I get the grades I want and I'm trying to do that by adopting the tips and tricks I've been sharing with you guys! And I take Triple Science.

k.
This is so cute lol

Good luck :smile:
still haven't started revising
Reply 14
wow aha so much info, thanks!

No problem!

I am shitting myself for maths because everybody has so many high expectations of me getting a good grade. I want to at least get a C so I do not have to retake it the following year!
Original post by FLM3026
Hello there!

Have you tried to identify what type of learner you are? Because once you've done that, finding techniques to enable you to absorb the material like a sponge will be much quicker and efficient.

I have a list of tips and tricks that I can recommend if you're a visual and/or auditory learner!

I'm a visual learner, I'd say (my school made us take a test), but I just don't think that the way I'm revising is helping - it doesn't feel like I'll remember anything. For my mocks, I made notes on everything and I made mind maps, but it felt like the information didn't stick. :dontknow:
Original post by draculaura
still haven't started revising

Really when are you going to start?
Reply 18
Original post by TheOtherSide.
I'm a visual learner, I'd say (my school made us take a test), but I just don't think that the way I'm revising is helping - it doesn't feel like I'll remember anything. For my mocks, I made notes on everything and I made mind maps, but it felt like the information didn't stick. :dontknow:

I am the same with mind maps and notes!

Instead, I devise flashcards on Quizlet and I take numerous quizzes across different platforms like Gojimo. Both Gojimo and Quizlet are free and are available on the app store and online.

Quizlet: https://quizlet.com/
If you learn best through repetition, do a drill of flashcards about 2/3 times and hopefully, you'll retain the information better!

Gojimo: http://app.gojimo.co/qualifications
This app provides quizzes for the vast majority of subjects on the national curriculum and if you get a question right or wrong, it explains the answer for you and tracks your progress and your weaknesses. They are tailored to students in KS3, doing GCSEs and A-levels as well as to students doing different qualifications across the world.

Have you also tried this technique called the Cornell note-taking technique? Here is a diagram below and an explanation about how the technique works:

Ideally you should do this without looking at the textbook or looking at any prompts and in your own words!

Hope these tips and ideas help!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Khadijah489
Thanks for the advice and the tips! Much appreciated, however I'm not a year 11 student, I'm actually revising for my A-level exams but still gonna take all this into consideration :smile: Good luck for your future exams!

Thank you! I think I should've made the title "Good luck to anyone taking exams this year!" because these tips apply to anyone who is in this situation!

Good luck with your A-level exams and I'm sure you'll sail through 'em with effort, dedication and practice :smile:

FLM3026

Quick Reply

Latest