The Student Room Group

Does popularity in school mean anything in the real world?

Interesting concept. Does being one of the 'popular' girls at school actually mean anything once everyone has left and grown up?

Scroll to see replies

no.
lel no
not at all. everybody forgets each other and moves on after a few years of leaving.
Reply 4
Kinda think about like this

Popular People are more often then not very social, being social means that they have better communication skills, and this therefore enables you build better connections. The more people you know the more help you can get should you need it, for example say you were popular in university and met a person who's dad owned a multimillion pound business, you meet his family blah blah blah and at the end of university you need a job, the guy dad has a job waiting, cause you managed to build connection through being social you'll be in a good choice for the jobs. Its hard to explain but being popular is a good thing if you have the brains
Reply 5
Original post by XFD

Popular People are more often then not very social, being social means that they have better communication skills, and this therefore enables you build better connections. The more people you know the more help you can get should you need it, for example say you were popular in university and met a person who's dad owned a multimillion pound business, you meet his family blah blah blah and at the end of university you need a job, the guy dad has a job waiting, cause you managed to build connection through being social you'll be in a good choice for the jobs. Its hard to explain but being popular is a good thing if you have the brains

true, I kind of meant people that don't have much more going for them other that their popularity but you're right I suppose
Original post by XFD

Being popular in school is not the same as being popular in the real world. The vast majority of 'popular' people in secondary school get there by bullying the kids who are clever, or who enjoy esoteric or unusual things (dungeons and dragons; Pokemon; etc etc), or who aren't conventionally attractive.

Popularity in the real world is how you've described it: social, making connections, networking and so on. But in secondary school it's about making yourself look bigger by making other people look smaller.

So no, popularity in school means little in the real world.
well no as most of the popular ones didn't do well so ended up working in fast food or in supermarkets
like i saw a friend i hadn't seen since primary school working in tesco in december and she eventually realised who i was as i paid £330 for a quarter case of dom perignon for a little party come networking event i was attending on new years eve
Original post by XFD

Don't you mean networking?
It depends. If you were popular in school by picking on and putting down those weaker than yourselves then you're gonna have a hard time IRL. If you were popular because of your social skills, charisma and personality then you'll use those skills to succeed in life.
Reply 10
Here is some research that says popularity in school is indicative of problems later-on:
http://www.businessinsider.com/being-popular-in-high-school-leads-to-problems-in-adulthood-2014-6?IR=T
At 13, those who exhibited "pseudomature behaviors" a catchall term for behaviors that seem to boost perceived popularity were rated as more popular by their peers. The cooler kids impressed their peers through displays of romantic behavior (like kissing or touching), deviant acts (like damaging their parents' property or sneaking into a movie theater without a ticket), or by associating themselves with more physically attractive friends.

As the years went on, however, these antics did not correlate to an increase in popularity. In fact, just the opposite happened. The pseudomature behaviors evolved into larger problems and the status of once cool individuals dropped: "The adolescent who comes to depend upon pseudomature behavior to gain peer status may gradually need to shift, for example, from minor forms of delinquency, such as vandalism and shoplifting, to more serious acts of criminal behavior to impress even a subset of older peers," the authors wrote.

However, I have also seen research that says popularity at school is associated with better careers later-on. Currently trying to find it again... here you go:
http://ideas.time.com/2013/11/18/does-high-school-determine-the-rest-of-your-life/
Individuals’ social status in high school has a “sizable effect” on their earnings as adults, reported lead author Gabriella Conti of the University of Chicago: “We estimate that moving from the 20th to 80th percentile of the high-school popularity distribution yields a 10% wage premium nearly 40 years later.”
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Silver Arrow
It depends. If you were popular in school by picking on and putting down those weaker than yourselves then you're gonna have a hard time IRL. If you were popular because of your social skills, charisma and personality then you'll use those skills to succeed in life.

Really? Seems like the whole system is built on that.
Original post by whorace
Really? Seems like the whole system is built on that.

Hmmm perhaps. What are your views on it?
Being influential and good at communicating probably helps you a lot more than TSR aspies like to admit to themselves.
Being popular doesn't matter but being unpopular does, those who are generally fail at life.
Original post by georgiaswift
Being popular in school is not the same as being popular in the real world. The vast majority of 'popular' people in secondary school get there by bullying the kids who are clever, or who enjoy esoteric or unusual things (dungeons and dragons; Pokemon; etc etc), or who aren't conventionally attractive.

Popularity in the real world is how you've described it: social, making connections, networking and so on. But in secondary school it's about making yourself look bigger by making other people look smaller.

So no, popularity in school means little in the real world.

Most people I know who are popular are clever.

I've never received flack for liking things like Pokemon and D&D and I'm not going to say I was popular at school but I definitely wasn't unpopular, disliked or bullied.
why are you one of the popular people in your school haha I would say a lot of the popular girls are the prettiest so yes they are still quite hot
From my school the most popular kid (good footballer, slept with every girl and lost his virginity first) is now a brick layer. The least popular kid that never spoke to anyone is now studying at Oxford with all A*'s
Original post by XFD

110% this.
Original post by karl pilkington
why are you one of the popular people in your school haha I would say a lot of the popular girls are the prettiest so yes they are still quite hot

I wouldn't say I'm like the most popular, but I do have a large circle of friends and get invited to parties etc...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending