The Student Room Group

New male oral contraception.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-health/11646385/Contraception-Male-Pill-is-coming-and-its-going-to-change-everything.html

Finally, Women may not be the only ones using oral contraception...Apparently oral contraception is coming out for men too!
Men...Would any of you use these?

Scroll to see replies

Wow, thank goodness. About time!
Yay!
I'd personally wait a while after its released before I use it, in case there's any side effects :redface:
Not really. At least...not yet. When the female oral contraceptive came out they completely got the dosage wrong, and they didn't really understand the effects it would have on women and their bodies. Especially when you consider the proven links to pulmonary embolisms and blot clotting. Turns out the dosage could have been reduced by a third.

Also, worth keeping in mind that the male oral contraceptive obviously has no STI preventing effects, and the only real way to prevent most of those are condoms. I know you should have more than one form of contraception, but they're the most...uh...elegant solution.
If it was safe then yes, obviously.
Reply 6
I have no intention of taking it myself but it does go so some way to address the power that women have in relation to sex. That being said i'm not a fan of this reducing the native fertility rate even further.
Only any use if you trust him to take them. Established relationship or its in his self interest i.e he doesnt wnat o ge anyone pregnant.
The thing is it's not really a pill, it's an injection in a sensitive place. So that alone could pose a risk to the reproductive organs. A pill would be more convenient than this. However from what I could read, it's non hormonal and polymer based which is interesting, maybe it's safer than the female contraceptive pill for this reason?

Would I use it in the future? Probably not, it just seems a bit risky compared to a condom. :dontknow:
It is very important for this to exist because currently women in civilised countries have a monopoly on human existence and thus a god-like status in society.

Woman takes pill, man ****s her, women doesn't get preggers.
Woman stops taking pill, man continues to **** her, she gets preggers without his knowledge.

This can stop if the pill for men arrives! NO MORE BABY CAITLIN JENNERS, MEN WILL LIVE.

PRAISE SCIENCE.
(edited 8 years ago)
Would prefer a pill to an injection in the scrotum, albeit that said I suppose a polymer is more internal than a chemical designed to damage sperm. But which ever, sign me up.
Original post by The_Last_Melon
It is very important for this to exist because currently women in civilised countries have a monopoly on human existence and thus a god-like status in society.
Woman takes pill, man ****s her, women doesn't get preggers.
Woman stops taking pill, man continues to **** her, she gets preggers without his knowledge.

This can stop if the pill for men arrives! NO MORE BABY CAITLIN JENNERS, MEN WILL LIVE.

PRAISE SCIENCE.

Surely if a couple want a child, they will do so irrespective of their birth control method. If, however, they don't want a child, then similarly they won't. Where's the "god-like status"?
Original post by homeland.lsw
The thing is it's not really a pill, it's an injection in a sensitive place. So that alone could pose a risk to the reproductive organs.

Eh I doubt it, you could argue the implanting of a coil is more likely to cause complications and there's the fact the contraceptive implant in the arm can at times travel to other areas of the body potentially causing serious issues, but they're both used by many woman.

The injection is clearly going to be done by a trained professional.

I do wonder though if a woman would trust a man who said he'd had the injection? Obviously for one night stands a condom is a superior option due to preventing most STI's, but in situations where a condom isn't used but the they're not in a long term relationship where the trust should have developed, would a blokes word he's currently infertile be enough or would you need to flash a certificate lol.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Bath_Student
Surely if a couple want a child, they will do so irrespective of their birth control method. If, however, they don't want a child, then similarly they won't. Where's the "god-like status"?

The god-like status arises because men must impress their woman to a sufficient level for them to willingly come off of the pill. Women can currently use reproduction as a bargaining chip and method of behaviour control. Currently men who would be able to do this are unable and their influence on society is diminished. With the male pill the man will neutralise this imbalance which leads to terribly destructive pseudo white-knightery.

Also, I split up with a previous gf because she nearly forgot to take the pill, if I had a pill then I would never have had to split up with her because I'd be the one with the control (and I trust my control).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by The_Last_Melon
The god-like status arises because men must impress their woman to a sufficient level for them to willingly come off of the pill. Women can currently use reproduction as a bargaining chip and method of behaviour control. Currently men who would be able to do this are unable and their influence on society is diminished. With the male pill the man will neutralise this imbalance which leads to terribly destructive pseudo white-knightery.

Also, I split up with a previous gf because she forgot to take the pill once, if I had a pill then I would never have had to split up with her because of her forgetfulness.

"must impress their woman" to have children? Qué?

Virtually every couple ever will have children at some point in their life, it is mutually wanted..
Original post by Bath_Student
"must impress their woman" to have children? Qué?

Virtually every couple ever will have children at some point in their life, it is mutually wanted..

Marriage is defined in the new testament as mutual ownership of each other and I like that definition so I have every right to use that word.

I don't like to talk about "virtually" in discussions as it opens up the absurd.
That's great news .
Most of the guys on TSR don't need contraception. They need a miracle.

Quick Reply

Latest