The Student Room Group

My psychiatrists says anti depressants don't work

Opinions?

Seems a weird thing for a psychiatrist to say

Scroll to see replies

Was there more context to that statement? Was he saying anti depressants don't work for anyone, ever? OR that it wouldn't work for you because you have treatment-resistive depression or something?

Does seem a bit of an odd thing to say tbh :erm:
Reply 2
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Was there more context to that statement? Was he saying anti depressants don't work for anyone, ever? OR that it wouldn't work for you because you have treatment-resistive depression or something?

Does seem a bit of an odd thing to say tbh :erm:

He was saying that for anyone, there is no evidence that anti depressants work and it is mostly just a placebo affect or something. I'm not really sure.... but when I first started seeing him I was on anti depressants and he took me off them all and refuses to prescribe me them lol. He didn't mean just me though, he was talking about people in general.
Original post by Jenx301
He was saying that for anyone, there is no evidence that anti depressants work and it is mostly just a placebo affect or something. I'm not really sure.... but when I first started seeing him I was on anti depressants and he took me off them all and refuses to prescribe me them lol. He didn't mean just me though, he was talking about people in general.

Well he's kinda right - it's very hard to definitively say that it's definitely an antidepressant that has made the difference, if someone's symptoms begin to improve. Plus there have been studies that show that those given a placebo recover just as quickly - if not more quickly - from certain illnesses.

However, I do think your psychiatrist is playing a very dangerous game with you. When you were on the antidepressants, did you feel they were working? Have you noticed a difference now that you're not on antidepressants?

If he's outright refusing to prescribe them, I'd try and request a change of psychiatrist, to be perfectly honest :erm:
It really depends on the root of the problem, depression can arise form a number of things and doctors should prescribe the best treatment for the individual. For some people that will be counselling and for others it may be anti depressants, I've never taken them but I doubt he alone would be able to proclaim their ineffectiveness
Reply 5
I have also heard they lead to other mental health problems
Overall, it is, frankly, a ludicrous statement from a mental health professional.

Presumably you are/were a patient and this statement may well be relevant to you or your symptoms, not 'everyone' Out of context its very difficult for anyone else to comment - ie, which antidepressants, for which conditions, what is meant by 'work' etc etc.

Anti-depressants are a vital medication for many thousands of people and allow them to function despite a wide range of mental health conditions. Its about as sensible as saying 'washing powder doesn't work' - it all depends which washing powder and what you are using it for.
Reply 7
Well he's kinda right - it's very hard to definitively say that it's definitely an antidepressant that has made the difference, if someone's symptoms begin to improve. Plus there have been studies that show that those given a placebo recover just as quickly - if not more quickly - from certain illnesses.

However, I do think your psychiatrist is playing a very dangerous game with you. When you were on the antidepressants, did you feel they were working? Have you noticed a difference now that you're not on antidepressants?

If he's outright refusing to prescribe them, I'd try and request a change of psychiatrist, to be perfectly honest :erm:

Yeah, I've had my doubts. I really can't decide but I found it interesting that a psychiatrist would say that as they kinda are all about prescribing meds so I thought I'd see what others think. I didn't think they were working when I was on them so I didn't mind being taken off however I have become a lot more unwell since being off them - he says it is a coincidence but I can't work it out personally. It's worth mentioning that my diagnosis isn't actually depression - it is borderline personality disorder & "symptoms of ptsd" whatever that means. My anxiety is very severe as well - my support worker says "If you don't have an anxiety disorder I don't know who does" :rofl: He has just started me on quetiapine this week.

I am *supposed* to be changing psychs but god knows how long it will take - to be honest I have no faith in this one. He tells me he doesn't understand what services are out there to refer me into and tells me he isn't sure how to get me a care co-ordinator even though every professional working with me tells me I need one.... so it may just be that he is a bit dim (which wouldn't surprise me :rofl:
Reply 8
Original post by returnmigrant
Overall, it is, frankly, a ludicrous statement from a mental health professional.

Presumably you are/were a patient and this statement may well be relevant to you or your symptoms, not 'everyone' Out of context its very difficult for anyone else to comment - ie, which antidepressants, for which conditions, what is meant by 'work' etc etc.

Anti-depressants are a vital medication for many thousands of people and allow them to function despite a wide range of mental health conditions. Its about as sensible as saying 'washing powder doesn't work' - it all depends which washing powder and what you are using it for.

Yeah this is what I think. I mean, I am unsure how well anti d's do or don't work but I think just making such a statement seems a bit odd - especially considering his role. That's why I was wondering what others thought.
Original post by Jenx301
Yeah, I've had my doubts. I really can't decide but I found it interesting that a psychiatrist would say that as they kinda are all about prescribing meds so I thought I'd see what others think. I didn't think they were working when I was on them so I didn't mind being taken off however I have become a lot more unwell since being off them - he says it is a coincidence but I can't work it out personally. It's worth mentioning that my diagnosis isn't actually depression - it is borderline personality disorder & "symptoms of ptsd" whatever that means. My anxiety is very severe as well - my support worker says "If you don't have an anxiety disorder I don't know who does" :rofl: He has just started me on quetiapine this week.

I am *supposed* to be changing psychs but god knows how long it will take - to be honest I have no faith in this one. He tells me he doesn't understand what services are out there to refer me into and tells me he isn't sure how to get me a care co-ordinator even though every professional working with me tells me I need one.... so it may just be that he is a bit dim (which wouldn't surprise me :rofl:

Excuse my language here but if he doesn't know how to get you a care coordinator, he's a ****ing moron. You don't need to put up with **** like this. I'd push to find out exactly when you are changing psychiatrists. This one sounds seriously inept and dodgy. You need proper care and now!!!

Don't be afraid to be assertive. Write complaint letters if you need to :yep:

:hugs:
Reply 10
Excuse my language here but if he doesn't know how to get you a care coordinator, he's a ****ing moron. You don't need to put up with **** like this. I'd push to find out exactly when you are changing psychiatrists. This one sounds seriously inept and dodgy. You need proper care and now!!!

Don't be afraid to be assertive. Write complaint letters if you need to :yep:

:hugs:

Thanks, I really do think he is very stupid. I have no faith in him. Surely if you didn't know that then you would spend an hour or so asking people and finding out rather than just keep on being clueless? Me and my support worker tried to push him on it when we saw him and said "So will you find me a care co-ordinator by next appt then?" and he just said "yes Im going to try and refer you" but he has been saying that since october at least. I am also supposed to be getting a female psych as a male is not appropriate for me due to my ptsd symptoms and I refuse to be alone with him which is why my support worker takes me. He wont refer me to both a care co-ordinator and a new psych at once though as he said it looks bad on him that he is offloading me? So he is only trying to do one thing at a time? Idk it baffles me really.

:hug:
I wonder if chicken wings would work. :rolleyes:
Original post by Jenx301
Thanks, I really do think he is very stupid. I have no faith in him. Surely if you didn't know that then you would spend an hour or so asking people and finding out rather than just keep on being clueless? Me and my support worker tried to push him on it when we saw him and said "So will you find me a care co-ordinator by next appt then?" and he just said "yes Im going to try and refer you" but he has been saying that since october at least. I am also supposed to be getting a female psych as a male is not appropriate for me due to my ptsd symptoms and I refuse to be alone with him which is why my support worker takes me. He wont refer me to both a care co-ordinator and a new psych at once though as he said it looks bad on him that he is offloading me? So he is only trying to do one thing at a time? Idk it baffles me really.

OMG, he ACTUALLY SAID THAT?!?!?!?!!?! :angry: :mob: :mad:

Def complain if you feel at all able to. You don't deserve to be treated like this! Argh, my blood is boiling on your behalf! :angry: Can't imagine how confused and angry you must feel! :frown:

Female psychiatrist definitely sounds like a better option. I don't have PTSD as such (well I think I do, they just won't diagnose it, grrr) but I have insisted on an all-female care team, and you are well within your rights to do the same! :yep:
How is that true...
Reply 14
Original post by greatguy375
I wonder if chicken wings would work. :rolleyes:

Maybe, I'll def give it a go. You want some chicken wings too GG?

OMG, he ACTUALLY SAID THAT?!?!?!?!!?! :angry: :mob: :mad:

Def complain if you feel at all able to. You don't deserve to be treated like this! Argh, my blood is boiling on your behalf! :angry: Can't imagine how confused and angry you must feel! :frown:

Female psychiatrist definitely sounds like a better option. I don't have PTSD as such (well I think I do, they just won't diagnose it, grrr) but I have insisted on an all-female care team, and you are well within your rights to do the same! :yep:

Yeah every time I see him I get really annoyed because I just think if he would put some effort in he could help me a billion times more. He referred me to a group thing but when I told him about how it's been he was like "oh this wasn't what I thought it was" but still told me I should keep going anyway. It's so stupid. I just want to get referred on to a female psych and get a care co-ordinator. That's it. We are trying to sort it out. I'm glad it isn't just me that thinks it's really ridiculous!
Original post by Jenx301

Yeah every time I see him I get really annoyed because I just think if he would put some effort in he could help me a billion times more. He referred me to a group thing but when I told him about how it's been he was like "oh this wasn't what I thought it was" but still told me I should keep going anyway. It's so stupid. I just want to get referred on to a female psych and get a care co-ordinator. That's it. We are trying to sort it out. I'm glad it isn't just me that thinks it's really ridiculous!

Definitely not just you - he sounds completely bonkers and inept, grrrrrr. It's not like you're asking for something that you're not entitled to, or that is hard to provide, either. Argh :angry:
Reply 16
Your psych sounds a bit stupid to me.
Original post by Jenx301

Tbh, all I ever see with psychs. is that they don't know how to deal with people who have PTSD/symptom clusters similar to PTSD. I'm sorry he is being so useless though. The NHS is awful atm tbh. :hugs: Hope he does actually get you a CC and that you get a new psych. sooner rather than later!

Don't give up. And just to echo what TLG said, it might be worth writing up a complaint letter. Perhaps your support worker can help you with it?
Original post by Jenx301

I think there perhaps is actually a poor evidence base for anti-depressants. I'm not entirely sure, but I think it's a bit of a "debateable issue", where some people would argue that the evidence shows that they actually don't really help.

That being said, obviously a lot/most of doctors are happy to prescribe them if necessary, so I do think it's a bit strange for your doctor to simply refuse to prescribe them.
Original post by Jenx301

Also, forgot to say: if you wanna see what a complaint letter looks like or need help with one, drop me a PM! I wrote a complaint against my Community Mental Health Trust which (as a matter of course) ended up with the Chief Executive of my area's mental health trust :eek: I ended up winning and getting what I wanted :awesome: :yeah: :smug:

TLG 1: CMHT 0 :king1:

Quick Reply

Latest