The Student Room Group

Random question: Why do prison mugshots look so bad?

Talking more from a UK law enforcement perspective. Why do they look so bad? It isn't that all offenders look menacing or evil. They just look so bad. Is is part of the punishment to parade their mugshot in national media post-conviction?

Scroll to see replies

I don't think they are there to make you look sexy..

To be honest, my passport photo isn't any better.
Reply 2
Are you thinking of having yours photoshopped?
to capture the real them
No make up in prison of course
Reply 5
If you were just looking at white collar criminals then probably not.
Reply 6
Original post by Maker

Pahaha, I don't have a prison mugshot...well I had one taken when I was a juvenile for an arrest for a minor crimes, but no I don't want it photoshopped. I just wondered why they look so dreadful...whether it's purposeful or just the way it is.
Reply 7
Original post by Legendary Quest

Clearly, it isn't a catwalk fashion show.

But most mugshots look pretty horrid and a lot of the people either look morbidly depressed, frantic, scared stiff, cold-faced or have q blank expression.

None of them look very sort of normal. But maybe it's the association society has with police mugshots. Obviously we associate police with negative stuff, so if someone has their photo taken by them, it's for bad reasons.
Original post by royal1990
Talking more from a UK law enforcement perspective. Why do they look so bad? It isn't that all offenders look menacing or evil. They just look so bad. Is is part of the punishment to parade their mugshot in national media post-conviction?

Normally people use a fairly good quality camera, have several attempts at taking the photo, delete the ones they don't like, smile in the photo, maybe wear make-up in them or edit them a bit etc.

In prison mugshots, and also passport photos I suppose, the machine or person taking the photo isn't trying to make you look good. And also, you have to keep a perfectly straight face etc.
Hey I know a very pretty girl's mugshot

Spoiler

Original post by Maker

Original post by Sheikhspeare 🎭
to capture the real them

Original post by Serine Soul
No make up in prison of course

Original post by Jebedee
If you were just looking at white collar criminals then probably not.

Really? What about this guy then?
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/news/from-criminal-to-catwalk-convict-jeremy-meeks-wins-modelling-contract-for-a-fashion-career-after-10084874.html

He's a one off. Most mugshots do look terrible.

read the title of the thread. it says 'why do prison mugshots look so bad?'. if it had said 'why do some prison mugshots look so bad', then I wouldn't have had to reply with that photo. Yes?
Reply 13
Original post by tazarooni89
Normally people use a fairly good quality camera, have several attempts at taking the photo, delete the ones they don't like, smile in the photo, maybe wear make-up in them or edit them a bit etc.

In prison mugshots, and also passport photos I suppose, the machine or person taking the photo isn't trying to make you look good. And also, you have to keep a perfectly straight face etc.

So basically it's just for identification purposes only? And, that they're trying to catch how you may look naturally?

Maybe it's the societal associations that make it bad.

Not going to lie, I was arrested years ago, (minor offence)- now graduated etc, so not a yob- and the custody officer/photo lady told me to smile. She saw me looking stone faced into the camera, as a petrified 14yo. The offence was a serious one for my age, but a first offence, and carried a custodial sentence. She must've saw me and thought woah he looks petrified, so she said something to the effects of: "gee, say cheese" or "smile", so I did.

I probably look like a right evil and care free piece of work on my police photo.

He's a handsome blue collar criminal, but unfortunately he only represents 1 person so unlikely to change public opinion.
Original post by Jebedee
He's a handsome blue collar criminal, but unfortunately he only represents 1 person so unlikely to change public opinion.

read the title of the thread. it says 'why do prison mugshots look so bad?'. if it had said 'why do some prison mugshots look so bad', then I wouldn't have had to reply with that photo. Yes?
Original post by Audrey18

The reason I commented the way I did was because the response was "what about...." which implies the post is contrary to what I had previously said.
Original post by Audrey18

Common sense will tell you that there will always be exceptions but he is speaking of the majority. Generally speaking, mugshots do look bad. Google it and you can see for yourself. It's not just 'some'. It's the large majority.
Original post by Jebedee
The reason I commented the way I did was because the response was "what about...." which implies the post is contrary to what I had previously said.

Common sense will tell you that there will always be exceptions but he is speaking of the majority. Generally speaking, mugshots do look bad. Google it and you can see for yourself. It's not just 'some'. It's the large majority.

Clearly, it isn't a catwalk fashion show.

But most mugshots look pretty horrid and a lot of the people either look morbidly depressed, frantic, scared stiff, cold-faced or have q blank expression.

What expression do you expect them to have?

Quick Reply

Latest