The Student Room Group

explosion in istanbul

beautiful city
terrible p̶e̶o̶p̶l̶e̶ animals
Rather interesting event.
And Turkey wants to join the EU. What a farce.

Condolences go to the families of the deceased. Unfortunately this is becoming all too common.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Menakshelatte
kurdish terrorist group pkk commit terrorist attack in taksim, killing at least 5 people
and wounding 36 people.

Claiming it was carried out by the PKK is a lie. Turkish sources have already announced that it was carried out by a known member of ISIS.

Even the attacks that have been claimed by the shadowy Kurdistan Freedom Falcons (the car bomb earlier this month that killed 37, and the one last month that killed 28) comes across as quite suspect given nobody really knows who these Freedom Falcons are, and given Turkey's history of the deep state and the current government's history of duplicity and corruption (the Foreign Minister Davotoglu was caught on tape with the Turkish Head of Intelligence discussing orchestrating terror attacks to give them a casus belli to intervene in Syria. Link here http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/turkey-yout...icials-1442161)

I just don't buy that the Kurds would see it as being in their interest to carry out terror attacks in major Turkish cities, such acts would lose them international support which at the moment is at a level they've never previously enjoyed.
(edited 8 years ago)

Do we know it is the PKK? My understanding is that this is probably the YPG, which from my understanding is separate from the PKK.

Original post by Brutum Fulmen
And Turkey wants to join the EU. What a farce.Condolences go to the families of the deceased. Unfortunately this is becoming all too common.

Why would being victims of terrorist attacks bar them from joining the EU?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Brutum Fulmen
And Turkey wants to join the EU. What a farce.

Condolences go to the families of the deceased. Unfortunately this is becoming all too common.

Isn't that like saying France should be kicked out for having had a terrorist attack?
Original post by Farm_Ecology
Do we know it is the PKK? My understanding is that this is probably the YPG, which from my understanding is separate from the PKK.

Definitely not the YPG. This attack was probably an ISIS attack given it targeted tourists and was a suicide bombing, and Turkish sources have already admitted it was a "former" member of ISIS.

Even the attacks that appeared to be Kurdish in origin earlier this month, and last month, were carried out by the "Kurdistan Freedom Falcons", which is a breakaway group from the PKK.

Even that I'm skeptical of, given nobody really knows who these Freedom Falcons are, and given Turkey's history of the deep state and given this government's history of duplicity and corruption (the Foreign Minister Davotoglu was caught on tape with the Turkish Head of Intelligence discussing orchestrating terror attacks to give them a casus belli to intervene in Syria. Link here http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/turkey-youtube-ban-full-transcript-leaked-syria-war-conversation-between-erdogan-officials-1442161)

I just don't buy that the Kurds would see it as being in their interest to carry out terror attacks in major Turkish cities, such acts would lose them international support which at the moment is at a level they've never previously enjoyed.
(edited 8 years ago)

Turkey seems not be liked by many of its neighbours such Syria, Greece, Russia etc. On top of this they have internal problems with the Kurds.
Original post by whorace
Isn't that like saying France should be kicked out for having had a terrorist attack?

The reasoning he offered was perhaps not ideal, but the conclusion was correct; the idea of Turkey joining the EU is a farce. There is a level of corruption and human rights abuses in Turkey which dwarf any other EU member.

In any case, new members require the agreement of all existing members and Turkey will never get permission from Cyprus whom they invaded in the 1970s and whose territory they still occupy (and have colonised)
Reply 10
Original post by BeastOfSyracuse
The reasoning he offered was perhaps not ideal, but the conclusion was correct; the idea of Turkey joining the EU is a farce. There is a level of corruption and human rights abuses in Turkey which dwarf any other EU member.

In any case, new members require the agreement of all existing members and Turkey will never get permission from Cyprus whom they invaded in the 1970s and whose territory they still occupy (and have colonised)

Meh Cyprus is a small country which can be bullied by rich people wanting to make quick money from Istanbul markets. Human rights abuses in a lot of countries, granted most not against their own citizens like the Turks, what specifically do you disagree with? I obviously wouldn't want a country like Russia or Saudi but at least Turkey has some functioning republic
Original post by Menakshelatte
k̶u̶r̶d̶i̶s̶h̶ ̶t̶e̶r̶r̶o̶r̶i̶s̶t̶ ̶g̶r̶o̶u̶p̶ ̶p̶k̶k̶ Turkish Government commit terrorist attack in taksim, killing at least 5 people
and wounding 36 people.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/istanbul-explosion-injuries-reported-as-tourist-shopping-area-hit-by-blast-in-turkish-city-a6940706.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35850625

Fixed it for you
Original post by whorace
Meh Cyprus is a small country which can be bullied by rich people wanting to make quick money from Istanbul markets.

I disagree. Not everything can be bought with money. Do you think that Hamas could be bought off with money to agree to give up their war against Israel? Not that I'm comparing Hamas to the Cypriot government, but giving you an example of the depth of feeling involved in occupations. The Cypriots have suffered Turkish occupation since the 1970s and are determined to block Turkey's accession. Greece is also a staunch opponent of Turkish membership.

And Cyprus isn't the only country who opposes Turkey's entry. Most European conservative parties and quite a few left parties are opposed to its accession. There are many European conservatives who don't want a major Muslim country in the EU, and some for arguably substantial reasons do not view Turkey as being geographically in Europe anyway.

Human rights abuses in a lot of countries, granted most not against their own citizens like the Turks, what specifically do you disagree with?

Its treatment of its Kurdish population, for one. The despotic tendencies of its government. Perhaps the most serious aspect is Turkey's obvious regional ambitions in the Middle East, and its interventions in other Middle Eastern countries. It's better to have a buffer between Europe and that situation, rather than diving into that pool with them

I obviously wouldn't want a country like Russia or Saudi but at least Turkey has some functioning republic

Functioning republic? Turkey these days is a banana republic. It is run by a despotic maniac, I mean Turkey banned Youtube from being accessed in Turkey to prevent its citizens accessing a released tape of a conversation between Foreign Minister Davotoglu and the head of Intelligence discussing orchestrating false attacks to provide a casus belli for a Syrian intervention.

There are still incidents in Turkey where journalists and lawyers are murdered probably at the behest of police or AKP partisans. Quite simply, there is a level of criminality in Turkish public life, of corruption and violent duplicity, that goes far beyond what you see in any other EU country and it would be a grave mistake to invite this into the union
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by whorace
Meh Cyprus is a small country

Take a look at this to better understand why the Cypriots are so utterly opposed to Turkish membership

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_invasion_of_Cyprus

It seems a bit naive to claim Cyprus is just a small country and that it and Greece can be bullied into accepting Turkish accession. There is almost no support for Turkish membership, there are millions and millions of people who are passionately opposed to its entry into the union and who will make life very difficult for any government that tries to bring that about.

This isn't just an issue for Cyprus and Greece, it would be a live issue even in this country and any government that supported it would find itself in very stormy waters
Original post by Farm_Ecology

Why would being victims of terrorist attacks bar them from joining the EU?

Look at the bigger picture for crying out loud.

The fact that terrorist attacks are almost weekly events now shows that the Turkey's security is minimal. Do you think the European Committee could help sort it out? Really?!

It's run by a tyrant anyway, we all know that.
Original post by whorace

Not in the slightest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending