The Student Room Group

IGCSE CIE English Help?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by caitlinford3
CIE & higher. My speaking and listening was today for it! :smile:

how do you think you did? hope you did well

and I've got the 2 exams the reading one and the writing one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 822
how do you think you did? hope you did well

and I've got the 2 exams the reading one and the writing one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My teacher told me what I got instantly, I got an A* haha :smile:

Ah I have one two hour exam for language :smile:
Reply 22
My teacher told me what I got instantly, I got an A* haha :smile:

Ah I have one two hour exam for language :smile:

Great! and which one, writing or reading?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 822
Great! and which one, writing or reading?

Posted from TSR Mobile

reading I believe. we don't do a 'writing' exam, just one two hour reading exam and then coursework (which I guess is the writing part) :smile:
Reply 24
reading I believe. we don't do a 'writing' exam, just one two hour reading exam and then coursework (which I guess is the writing part) :smile:

well you gotta help me revise haha ive got 2 exams that im unprepared for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 822
well you gotta help me revise haha ive got 2 exams that im unprepared for.

Posted from TSR Mobile

sure thing, what is your reading exam about?
Reply 26
sure thing, what is your reading exam about?

im not sure. i've got a few past papers from my school before i left, i can show you them. if you could tell me how to answer the questions that would be great!

Posted from TSR Mobile
The first question is basically changing the type of text into something else: for example, you read a text and it may ask you to rewrite as one of the characters in the form of a conversation / blog post / report. This question is worth 20 marks and we were advised by our teacher (who is a CIE examiner) to spend 45 minutes on this. You must include things from the text in your answer to show you've understood it; making sure to include explicit information (information from the text that is clearly said) and implicit information (information that you must look deeper to notice as it is only implied), While writing your answer (which must be 1 1/2 - 2 pages) remember T.A.P. This stands for T = type: what kind of text do you have to write and how will you go about writing this? A = audience: who is the audience and how will your language/vocabulary differentiate in your answer because of this? P = purpose: what is the purpose of the thing you're writing? Are you trying to argue, persuade? If so, make sure you speak appropriately. In planning, we were told to make a word bank full of words you may want to include when considering T.A.P and the person you're writing in role as (e.g the language of a child will differ from an adult)

Question 2 is the 'easiest' of the three, but is the one most people (including myself) struggle with in terms of time-keeping! It is a language analysis question, in which you must re-read the first text and highlight four keywords and phrases in the two paragraphs you're told to look at (the question will clearly indicate which paragraphs you must look at). In the mark scheme, having a different range of words chosen to analyse will get you more marks, as you are scrutinized for your word choice. By this, we are encouraged to choose one singular word, one powerful word (simile, metaphor), one quirky phrase and any other phrase which is relevant to the question. You must spend 30 minutes on this question and it is worth 10 marks, but considering the exam in itself is worth 50 marks it is a big chunk. Start your answer (which must be 1 page) with the overall mood proposed in the paragraph, to show you understand what the writer is doing. After this, you must include the four phrases for the first paragraph; analyse them, explain them, give synonyms for them (SOOO important as this shows the examiner you understand the language and you won't get marks if you don't do this basically), and explain why the author included them.

Question 3 is split into two parts, A + B, and is overall worth 20 marks, so again we were advised to spend 45 minutes on this. The first part you must read the SECOND text given (it will indicate this in the question) and highlight 15 things relevant to the question. Our teacher says we should highlight as many as possible and then choose our best 15. Basically for this, you list 15 things in answer to the question and bullet point them. It seems simple, but if it's not on the mark scheme you simply don't get the mark. Be cautious that your point is a legit point and doesn't need to be split into two, for example you may put: the owls are awake all night, but sleep during the day, as one point when you would get the marks for it being two! The 15 points you write down must also be chronological. Part B is worth 5 marks, but is still a considerable 10% of your overall score so don't disregard it. Part B is basically a summary task, you must write all 15 parts, chronologically into a summary. You are scrutinized for the length of your summary, with a recommended 250 words. Our teacher advised us to try and include 2 of the 15 points per sentence, to make sure it is concise as this is included in the mark scheme. There is no need for an introductory/concluding sentence and you can actually be marked down for including this so please don't!

I think I covered pretty much everything! Hope this helped :smile:

Can I just say this is exactly how you do it! If you do this and practice on a couple of past papers until the exam, you will do extremely well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
Original post by william hart
Can I just say this is exactly how you do it! If you do this and practice on a couple of past papers until the exam, you will do extremely well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

is that for the reading or writing test? because i need to know how to answer both the exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by william hart

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much! :smile:

Original post by 822
is that for the reading or writing test? because i need to know how to answer both the exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm unsure of what you are talking about to have two tests. iGCSE CIE English Language consists of one two hour exam, if you do something with the similar structure (question one, question two and two parts for question 3) then this will probably be for whatever exam you're doing.

Original post by 822
im not sure. i've got a few past papers from my school before i left, i can show you them. if you could tell me how to answer the questions that would be great!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Send me the papers through message so I can have a look :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest