The Student Room Group

Mind=blown at women's materialism

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mathemagicien
Nah, I get low-end clothing. A lot from charity shops. Some hand-me-downs. I quite literally wear my clothes until they fall apart too.

I just wear so many of my sister's clothes and only buy the necessities, which are from the lower end even then. On Friday, I thought I got a drop of mud on the tip of my shoes, turns out it was my toe subtly peeking out through a hole ._.
Original post by Serine Soul
Not if you look in the right places at the right times.

Good on you for having so much money!

I like good quality, you struggle to get good quality at anything than a premium.

I have money because I work hard.
More money for other stuff

Like books and gadgets :mmm:

:teehee:

And stationery :coma:
What is 'good quality' to you? Are you sure you aren't defining 'quality' to be 'costs more than x', rather than any practical measure? Its too easy to believe that something is better quality because it costs more. Often it isn't true. Just look at Crapple.

Why waste it on getting infinitesimally better quality clothes (£1000 for a coat? Seriously?) when you could invest it ways that give you more returns?

Good quality for me is something that will generally last longer than a cheaper product and use better materials, so for socks and pants they will feel better against my skin.

When I am in a cold climate say -25C I like to have a coat that will keep me warm. £1000 will buy that coat negating the need for extra layers which add to the cost. That coat will also last me longer than a cheaper lessening cost of replacements. Further more with a coat of that price you will get free repairs lengthening its life span and even further reducing cost over lifetime of product.

I am not in need of saving money at this point since I have a steady job with minimal expenditure allowing me to enjoy the finer things in life.
Original post by whorace
Status symbol? Ordinary people are going to either be jealous or think she's a muppet, wealthy people are going to think she's spending pennies and she should have spent more.

however you wish to rationalise your inability to buy the finer things in life.

Original post by Feel Tha Bern

It's like spending your last 10k on a rolex, it's not a badass expression of wealth, it shows you're a loser.

who said 'last 10k' though, i said it wasn't a good way to spend her money as she clearly cannot comfortable afford such items
Original post by sunni money

who said 'last 10k' though, i said it wasn't a good way to spend her money as she clearly cannot comfortable afford such items

It was an example, it's hard to say her Gucci bag is a status symbol if it took her years to save up for. It's only a status symbol if she is on that level of material wealth
Some good points; I guess you aren't a student then. Do you not have a partner or family? If you did, you could almost certainly find better ways of spending the money, unless you have a ridiculously large income.

I'm not a student anymore. No partner or family either.

I have a modest £20k salary but very little regular expenditure. I like spending my money on things that make me happy and having a coat that keeps me about as warm as a down duvet no matter where I am makes me happy.
Original post by Feel Tha Bern
It was an example, it's hard to say her Gucci bag is a status symbol if it took her years to save up for. It's only a status symbol if she is on that level of material wealth

i agree (hence 'if she has to save for 10 years to afford one thats probably not the best way to spend her money')
You're being a bit of a goon if you think every girl is like that!!! :facepalm:
20k? Do you not own your own house then? I'm just confused how owning a slightly better coat is worth sacrificing the stability that house ownership gives you. Call me frugal, but even if I had a 100k income, I'd probably still live pretty much the same as I would on a 20k income, at least until I had the basics covered (house, family etc.)

I can't afford to own a house, well I could but not locally or in a location that I would want since my life is not stable enough. I am looking to move my work back to the countryside in the future so I don't want to be tied down.

I don't want a family for at least another 10 years or a house for at least 5 years.

I'm not frugal, I just want to be happy and I will use my money to allow me to do things that make me happy, like going on holiday (to places that aren't warm). Which gives me need for a good quality coat because there is nothing worse than being cold.
Reply 70
The same way most men fixate on expensive cars.
Original post by khaleesi98
How about if it was a guy saving up for a flashy, expensive new car?

I agree that it's sad how materialistic some people are, but don't get how it's a gendered thing? I think people maybe see stereotypically girly luxuries as more stupid/frivolous than the stereotypically masculine equivalents, when they're actually pretty much on the same level.

Before anyone asks, I have no evidence to back this up lol it's just the impression I get sometimes ☺️

A car would be equally boneheaded.
Original post by alkaline.
women buying handbags aren't genuinely related to the way men treat women, it's sad that you think that.

I don't, where did you get that from lol? Maybe you should have read the separate issue I was dealing with, the whole men looking at other women problem.
Take a little more time to read what I was talking about next time :biggrin:
I have my eye on a line that sells 3k bags, one day I will buy one if I have the money. I like them, got nothing to do with making any kind of impression, it will be with my own money which I will spend however I want.
What, isn't 1 a large enough sample size?

Is if it's me, I represent 99% of them.
Reply 75
Original post by Death Grips
Was just on the phone with my gf and she told me she has saved up £4k for like the past 10 years (money from birthdays, allowance from parents etc) just to save up to buy a Chanel handbag.

And her friends are the same - they all go gaga over designer handbags, clothes, shoes etc (they're obsessed with Dior, LV, Chanel, Prada etc)

Plus on the commute every day to work, I always see a different woman with an LV handbag. Why do women fixate on luxury items like this?

I'm not surprised. If you really want to find out how materialistic some women can be, watch a tv documentary called 'Sex, Lies & Rinsing Guys' This was a recent tv documntary all about a certain subset of women in society who manipulate wealthy men into buying them really expensive gifts and possessions, and pay for their other expenses in life such as their rent, mortgage, household bills, as well as expensive international holidays....and these guys don't even get a kiss or anything else in return. It'll open your eyes a lot:

http://www.bedirectwithwomen.com/blog/sex-lies-rinsing-guys-a-shocking-example-of-how-naive-wealthy-guys-are-manipulated-by-women-for-their-money
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by alkaline.
idk maybe cause her handbag won't leave her for a younger, hotter woman?

I've seen that happen. Some of them have malicious wills of their own, like the one ring.
Original post by balanced
I don't, where did you get that from lol? Maybe you should have read the separate issue I was dealing with, the whole men looking at other women problem.
Take a little more time to read what I was talking about next time :biggrin:

okay, either way I don't care :smile:

Original post by Dr Pesto
I've seen that happen. Some of them have malicious wills of their own, like the one ring.

lol prsom
If its got nothing to do with making an impression, why would you spend 3k on it? Just curious - its not as though they are of spectacularly good quality relative to other bags

There's not a good answer. I just like the way they look. They are superior quality, but obviously the price tag is stupid because of the name. In a similar way I like the colour orange, and will buy something just because it's orange. Also, if something is Vetiver scented, I'll buy it just because, again, it does something to my head. Bit weird. I have some ridiculously priced Vetiver perfumes and some £5 Vetiver tea lights. Have to have, sorry.
Stupid people's money ends up in a clever person's pocket.

Quick Reply

Latest