The Student Room Group

Fat Shaming vs Skinny Shaming.. Pinacle of Irony

The question in short : Why is it acceptable to skinny shame someone but not acceptable to fat shame someone?

The backstory :

So was at the school gym this afternoon and saw this young lad trying to do dumbbell curls and he was surrounded by a mixed group dishing out so much unnecessary chat (to him). Most of it was like this: "you're so big mate", "wow! huge arms bro", "look at those legs, how much do you lift", "you make us look so small" ... He was skinny in truth but was not enjoying this sarcasm one bit and it didn't help that those dishing were chuckling and one of them even wrapped their arm around his to try and intimidate him further. When one of the girls (who was quite chubby) tried to do the same thing he quickly retracted his arm and she said "come on I just wanna see how big they are" whilst turning to the group and laughing, to which he replied "why don't you hop on the treadmill to try and lose some weight first. And let me do my thing".

*silence/gasp* She stared at him for a few seconds bewildered and then started to cry. A few of her girl friends were trying to comfort her whilst saying how rude and dickish he was for saying that whilst the other guys in the group did the same. They then walked off and spoke to each other about him, loudly so that he could hear .

I witnessed pretty much all of this from about 20 feet away and was totally disgusted; not so much by fact that the lad was getting bullied, but more so by the reaction of the girl and the group who couldn't experience a taste of their own horseshit. Didn't he have all the right to say that after all the abuse he was getting..?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
lmao he destroyed her faster than she would destroy a big mac
Lol the head of sixth form is apparently worried about me because I'm 'too thin.' Yes I'm skinny(I'm a size 6/8) but I don't look at all unhealthy, so I honestly so baffled. Instead of speaking to me directly,they go talking about it behind my back to other teachers.
I was very annoyed because they wouldn't ever talk about a student being 'too fat', yet they think it's acceptable to talk about me being too skinny
Original post by Arkasia
lmao he destroyed her faster than she would destroy a big mac

If I was him I would've said something along those lines :rofl:
Reply 4
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
If I was him I would've said something along those lines :rofl:

Why didn't you stick up for him?
Original post by Arkasia
Why didn't you stick up for him?

If he didn't say that and the abuse continued I would have. In hindsight maybe I should've anyway :frown: their year was about 2 years below mine as well
short answer, skinny shaming is no more acceptable than fat shaming. But some people are perpetual victim snow flakes and think they award special illogical treatment
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Lol the head of sixth form is apparently worried about me because I'm 'too thin.' Yes I'm skinny(I'm a size 6/8) but I don't look at all unhealthy, so I honestly so baffled. Instead of speaking to me directly,they go talking about it behind my back to other teachers.
I was very annoyed because they wouldn't ever talk about a student being 'too fat', yet they think it's acceptable to talk about me being too skinny

I think its coz there are more and more fat people around and it has become easier for them to be generally accepted by society as normal :biggrin:
Original post by SophieSmall
short answer, skinny shaming is no more acceptable than fat shaming. But some people are perpetual victim snow flakes and think they award special illogical treatment

Ironic as well from a fitness point of view because it's so much easier to lose fat than it is to gain
savage
Ironic as well from a fitness point of view because it's so much easier to lose fat than it is to gain

I assume you mean to gain muscle?

If so, yeah very true.

Honestly I would have laughed so hard hearing him rail into her, she definitely got a taste of her own medicine. Justified/ acceptable or not :tongue:

This stuff annoys me too.
If he didn't say that and the abuse continued I would have. In hindsight maybe I should've anyway :frown: their year was about 2 years below mine as well

Alright, but yeah you probably should've gone over before then.
I think its coz there are more and more fat people around and it has become easier for them to be generally accepted by society as normal :biggrin:

Also true.

It's a depressing fact that most Britons are now overweight.
Skinny shaming is more acceptable than fat shaming because skinny has been and still is a goal for so many individuals, mostly girls (which explains why the whole "fat acceptance" movement consists of mostly girls), and fat is quite the opposite. That is why.

Both are wrong.
Reply 14
Yeah, I totally agree, I've always been skinny and in the past have been called things like a stick or told 'you're all skin and bone', and while I wasn't too upset at these comments as I'm only slightly insecure about my appearance, it still really annoyed me that if I had said the equivalent to them like calling them a whale or 'you're all blubber' or something similarly harsh, I would have been heavily criticised and shouted at for it, and rightly so. Neither should be acceptable imo, skinny people can be insecure about their weight too, yet no-one considers that.
Original post by Arkasia
Alright, but yeah you probably should've gone over before then.

I probably would have intimidated him even more. Unintentionally of course :wink:
The question in short : Why is it acceptable to skinny shame someone but not acceptable to fat shame someone?

The backstory :

So was at the school gym this afternoon and saw this young lad trying to do dumbbell curls and he was surrounded by a mixed group dishing out so much unnecessary chat (to him). Most of it was like this: "you're so big mate", "wow! huge arms bro", "look at those legs, how much do you lift", "you make us look so small" ... He was skinny in truth but was not enjoying this sarcasm one bit and it didn't help that those dishing were chuckling and one of them even wrapped their arm around his to try and intimidate him further. When one of the girls (who was quite chubby) tried to do the same thing he quickly retracted his arm and she said "come on I just wanna see how big they are" whilst turning to the group and laughing, to which he replied "why don't you hop on the treadmill to try and lose some weight first. And let me do my thing".

*silence/gasp* She stared at him for a few seconds bewildered and then started to cry. A few of her girl friends were trying to comfort her whilst saying how rude and dickish he was for saying that whilst the other guys in the group did the same. They then walked off and spoke to each other about him, loudly so that he could hear .

I witnessed pretty much all of this from about 20 feet away and was totally disgusted; not so much by fact that the lad was getting bullied, but more so by the reaction of the girl and the group who couldn't experience a taste of their own horseshit. Didn't he have all the right to say that after all the abuse he was getting..?

I'm glad he said that tbh! Good on him :h:

you should always intervene :yep:
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I'm glad he said that tbh! Good on him :h:

Thoroughly deserved that
Hahahahahahhahahahahahahhaha TOP LAD :toofunny:

Quick Reply

Latest