The Student Room Group

20/21 Too Old For University

Hello I will be starting university in September this year, and i am quite excited. However my age has been playing on my mind since,i keep thinking that i will not make friends at university because they will all be 18.I dont want to live in "mature accomodation" as tbh im not even "mature". I would love to make some life long friends at university and get involved in going out and partying.So really my question is, will i be able to settle in like a normal school leaver or will i be excluded from activities and going out etc and sort of be the outcast so you would say??
You'll be fine. It's only 30+ year olds that I feel would feel excluded tbh
Reply 2
You'll be absolutely fine. Uni might deem you as a mature student at 21 but that's it, you're still young enough to enjoy the typical uni social life and find many people around your own age and will have the same interests as you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm going to be twenty one upon entry and I'm not too worried, to be honest. As has been said, there's not too big of a gap - there's only three years between us and the average school leaver, discounting the closer gaps with those who took one or two gap years.

We should be fine. :yep: What university and course are you planning? :awesome:
You will be fine, I lived with a guy who was 23 in first year now a life long friend. Age really doesn't matter at uni.
You'll be fine. There's 2 people on our course, both aged 50+.
Original post by Spock's Socks
You'll be absolutely fine. Uni might deem you as a mature student at 21 but that's it, you're still young enough to enjoy the typical uni social life and find many people around your own age and will have the same interests as you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope so, and well i will be 20 upon starting, and i would not really see myself as mature im probably more immature then most of the 18 year olds (probably not something to be happy about :biggrin:)

Original post by acupofgreentea
I'm going to be twenty one upon entry and I'm not too worried, to be honest. As has been said, there's not too big of a gap - there's only three years between us and the average school leaver, discounting the closer gaps with those who took one or two gap years.

We should be fine. :yep: What university and course are you planning? :awesome:

Well i took 2 years out (travelling) was only supposed to be one but it was really a life changer and i decided to carry on for another year!! I hope we fit in :smile: And im planning on studying Medicine at Imperial, yourself?

Original post by DiddyDec
You will be fine, I lived with a guy who was 23 in first year now a life long friend. Age really doesn't matter at uni.

Oh thats interesting, did you have much in common? Also did he get on with everyone else in the flat/accommodation?
No one will even notice unless you tell them and even less people will care. Don't let yourself get hung up on such trivial stuff.
Reply 8
Original post by ReallySomebody
Hello I will be starting university in September this year, and i am quite excited. However my age has been playing on my mind since,i keep thinking that i will not make friends at university because they will all be 18.I dont want to live in "mature accomodation" as tbh im not even "mature". I would love to make some life long friends at university and get involved in going out and partying.So really my question is, will i be able to settle in like a normal school leaver or will i be excluded from activities and going out etc and sort of be the outcast so you would say??

I really wouldn't worry about it because you'll be surrounded by like-minded fellows like yourself; you're all there to obtain a degree in something you're all interested in!

You're going to university to embark on something you've been yearning to do and something you're immensely passionate about. This is an experience which'll give you lasting memories and enable you to develop and sharpen certain traits and skills that'll enable you to change positively as a person. It's both a personal journey and a lasting memory! :smile:

For the time being, think of the positives of going to university. Think of your reasons why you wanted to go to university and remember them. They are essentially your foundation/starting point. They're something to constantly remind yourself of if you're ever confronted by some challenging work, lecture etc. These reasons and motives will keep you going! :smile:

As aforementioned, you'll be surrounded by like-minded people who are also there to obtain a degree in the same subject(s) you're studying and I genuinely doubt they're going to single you out or alienate you *at all*. If anything, they'll probably admire your desire to embark on something you've been meaning to do. If it's the case they treat you differently (which again, I doubt very much), just ignore them because they're really not worth your time. It just goes to show how ridiculous they are tbh!

Hope this advice helps!
FLM3026 :smile:
I hope to god 21 isn't too old as I'm starting at 27 in September. I kind of feel like I'll be in no man's land between the school leavers and out and out mature students who have kids, mortgages etc.

Make sure you oil your Zimmer Frame so it doesn't squeak and you'll be fine.:smile:
I will be 21 when I start & I don't think I will be disadvantaged.
Reply 11
I don't know why people even ask this question
Original post by FLM3026
I really wouldn't worry about it because you'll be surrounded by like-minded fellows like yourself; you're all there to obtain a degree in something you're all interested in!

You're going to university to embark on something you've been yearning to do and something you're immensely passionate about. This is an experience which'll give you lasting memories and enable you to develop and sharpen certain traits and skills that'll enable you to change positively as a person. It's both a personal journey and a lasting memory! :smile:

For the time being, think of the positives of going to university. Think of your reasons why you wanted to go to university and remember them. They are essentially your foundation/starting point. They're something to constantly remind yourself of if you're ever confronted by some challenging work, lecture etc. These reasons and motives will keep you going! :smile:

As aforementioned, you'll be surrounded by like-minded people who are also there to obtain a degree in the same subject(s) you're studying and I genuinely doubt they're going to single you out or alienate you *at all*. If anything, they'll probably admire your desire to embark on something you've been meaning to do. If it's the case they treat you differently (which again, I doubt very much), just ignore them because they're really not worth your time. It just goes to show how ridiculous they are tbh!

Hope this advice helps!
FLM3026 :smile:

It helps a bunch, thank you for writing that up i appreciate it :smile:

Original post by JamesN88
I hope to god 21 isn't too old as I'm starting at 27 in September. I kind of feel like I'll be in no man's land between the school leavers and out and out mature students who have kids, mortgages etc.

Make sure you oil your Zimmer Frame so it doesn't squeak and you'll be fine.:smile:

The last line did make me chuckle i must admit :biggrin: And oh thats interesting, what will you be studying and where? If you dont mind me asking?
Definitely NOT!
The last line did make me chuckle i must admit :biggrin: And oh thats interesting, what will you be studying and where? If you dont mind me asking?

Computer Science, I'm 99% set on Leicester but haven't firmed it yet.
Oh thats interesting, did you have much in common? Also did he get on with everyone else in the flat/accommodation?

We didn't have traditional flats it was split into floors, so to get on with everyone on your floor was near impossible. We had plenty in common. Nobody cares how old you are, I started uni at 20 but most people took a gap year to work anyway.
Im going to be 20 when I start. If I had of started when I was 18 (I could have but declined) I highly doubt i'd still be at uni right now, definitely wasnt mature enough/goal orientated enough!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm starting university 20 years old aswell. What I've learnt over the course of +2 years, which is hardly noticeable(especially when clean shaven :biggrin: ) is that what separates people from one and another isn't a AGE number but a complete opposite mindset contrary to the age they are.

For example, I'm 20 years old though I act/behave like I'm 25 ish in real life whereas someone who's 18 and still in the "party" mindset would differ completely from me even though we are just 2 years apart.
It all varies on the type of people you meet at university, after all university is supposed to be a life experience.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply