The Student Room Group

Really need advice! Dropping subject but only do 3 A-levels!

I am in year 12 doing my first year of A-levels. I really hate doing English Literature A-level and I want to drop it but I can't because I only do 2 other A-levels. I really really just wish I can get rid of it but I can'tttt and it's so depressing. I'm sure I'm not going to get a good grade in it and it just really depresses me and I can't deal with the amount of essays.

I really don't know what to do as I have already spoken to my school about dropping it a while ago but they didn't let me.

The replacement subject would be Arabic A-level. Arabic is my second language and I have looked at the past paper questions and they look good. I would take the exams at another venue.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nadine_08
I am in year 12 doing my first year of A-levels. I really hate doing English Literature A-level and I want to drop it but I can't because I only do 2 other A-levels. I really really just wish I can get rid of it but I can'tttt and it's so depressing. I'm sure I'm not going to get a good grade in it and it just really depresses me and I can't deal with the amount of essays.

I really don't know what to do as I have already spoken to my school about dropping it a while ago but they didn't let me.

The replacement subject would be Arabic A-level. Arabic is my second language and I have looked at the past paper questions and they look good. I would take the exams at another venue.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you.

If you drop to 2 A levels, you will be putting yourself at major disadvantage when it comes to university applications. You will seriously struggle to find something. That said, if you are struggling to manage with three A levels at the moment, then it might be a good idea to look at apprenticeships or entering into a job as an alternative. If you do an A level in your native language, it may not be included in any university offers as many universities don't regard it in the same light as other qualifications. Think very carefully before you drop your third subject. You may regret it more than you think.
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
If you drop to 2 A levels, you will be putting yourself at major disadvantage when it comes to university applications. You will seriously struggle to find something. That said, if you are struggling to manage with three A levels at the moment, then it might be a good idea to look at apprenticeships or entering into a job as an alternative. If you do an A level in your native language, it may not be included in any university offers as many universities don't regard it in the same light as other qualifications. Think very carefully before you drop your third subject. You may regret it more than you think.

Arabic isn't my first language though?

You said it's your second language. If you are fluent in it because it is a language you speak at home, then it won't often be counted as demonstrating a sufficient level of academic study.
Reply 4

But at least your grade would be better than in english list. My advice is to keep on struggling with eng litt and take up arabic as a 4th subject.
Reply 5
You said it's your second language. If you are fluent in it because it is a language you speak at home, then it won't often be counted as demonstrating a sufficient level of academic study.

I'm not fluent in it and I barely speak it at home. Also, even if I did regularly speak it at home, it doesn't affect anything because Arabs speak in their different dialects- not formal Arabic.

I used to go to Arabic Saturday school, which is how I learnt how to read and write it. I can read and understand and translate but my weakness is writing so I need to work on that before taking the exam.

And how would they know it's my second language anyway? I don't need to tell them that?
I'm not fluent in it and I barely speak it at home. Also, even if I did regularly speak it at home, it doesn't affect anything because Arabs speak in their different dialects- not formal Arabic.

I used to go to Arabic Saturday school, which is how I learnt how to read and write it. I can read and understand and translate but my weakness is writing so I need to work on that before taking the exam.

And how would they know it's my second language anyway? I don't need to tell them that?

The issue is taking it as an exam geared towards non-native speakers versus one for native speakers. If you take the non-native speaker exam as a native speaker, universities are not going to get the evidence of academic ability that they would get otherwise. No doubt your reference will tell them what level of fluency you have already. Taking the exam geared towards the native speaker would give them that evidence, in that way that English lit A level tests a different set of skills to French A level for a native speaker of English.
Reply 7
Original post by Thomb
But at least your grade would be better than in english list. My advice is to keep on struggling with eng litt and take up arabic as a 4th subject.

Yeah, that's why I don't want to continue with it. I don't see the point of all the stress of essay deadlines and everything and all the struggling only to get a rubbish grade in the end. I would rather drop it than fail it.

Regardless of that though, I might do what you advised although it really will be a struggle.
Reply 8
The issue is taking it as an exam geared towards non-native speakers versus one for native speakers. If you take the non-native speaker exam as a native speaker, universities are not going to get the evidence of academic ability that they would get otherwise. No doubt your reference will tell them what level of fluency you have already. Taking the exam geared towards the native speaker would give them that evidence, in that way that English lit A level tests a different set of skills to French A level for a native speaker of English.

Okay, but don't you think it's a safer option to take Arabic A-level rather than continue with English and get a rubbish grade in it?
Reply 9
Yeah, that's why I don't want to continue with it. I don't see the point of all the stress of essay deadlines and everything and all the struggling only to get a rubbish grade in the end. I would rather drop it than fail it.

Regardless of that though, I might do what you advised although it really will be a struggle.

You should do it because Eng Litt is a good subject and Arabian will give you good points for getting into university. What do you want to study and where or haven't you thought about that yet?
Reply 10
Original post by Thomb
You should do it because Eng Litt is a good subject and Arabian will give you good points for getting into university. What do you want to study and where or haven't you thought about that yet?

I'm not completely sure yet but I think I want to do Psychology.
Okay, but don't you think it's a safer option to take Arabic A-level rather than continue with English and get a rubbish grade in it?

Actually, I don't, but your mileage clearly varies. It's a toss-up between an academic subject which will be included in any offers you get and an A level which may not be counted at all in any offers. I suggest you a) sit down and have a really honest talk with your teachers and b) contact any universities you are interested in and ask them what their attitude would be to someone with your profile before you make any decisions.
Reply 12
I'm not completely sure yet but I think I want to do Psychology.

TBH you need 3 a levels so best pick up arabic asap Psychology sounds interesting I might do a short course in that myself. What other a levels are you doing?
Reply 13
Actually, I don't, but your mileage clearly varies. It's a toss-up between an academic subject which will be included in any offers you get and an A level which may not be counted at all in any offers. I suggest you a) sit down and have a really honest talk with your teachers and b) contact any universities you are interested in and ask them what their attitude would be to someone with your profile before you make any decisions.

Why wouldn't arabic be counted?
Sounds like you need to suck it up and get on with it if you want to go to university
Reply 15

I've contacted one university already and will try to take the rest of your advice on board. Thank you :smile:
Reply 16
As long as you have a science you should be alright doing psychology. Though eng litt is a good subject to do. Do all 4 and enter as a native speaker you should still get a good mark..
Reply 17
Original post by Thomb
TBH you need 3 a levels so best pick up arabic asap Psychology sounds interesting I might do a short course in that myself. What other a levels are you doing?

Economics and Psychology- they're going well. It's just English I'm struggling with.
Original post by Thomb
Why wouldn't arabic be counted?

Because a native language A level is often regarded as very much less of an academic challenge than other subjects. If you spoke French at home, you wouldn't be at much of a stretch to hold a conversation about buying a cup of coffee in a cafe if you were doing French GCSE. There are A levels which are designed for native speakers, in the same way that English lit is designed for native speakers, and these will expect a much, much higher level of competence in the language for obvious reasons, and these would carry just as much weight as any other A level, but it doesn't sound as if this is what OP has in mind.
My advice would be look into which universities you'd like to go to. Some accept 2 AS levels as a full grade so you could always suck it up this year and then do another AS next year. Or just carry on with it, it's only 2 years. Most universities won't accept Arabic A Level if it's your second language though, sorry. They want to see commitment and ability to study/pass exams, if it's your second language it doesn't really count. :/ Sorry about that

Quick Reply

Latest