The Student Room Group

The drums question.

Howdy
Gonna be in halls, I play drums. Any solutions? Not doing a music subject so won't be allowed in any practice rooms.
Cheers
Check what the state of societies at your uni is before writing off practice rooms; I know the musicians society had access to practice rooms for members at my old uni (Bradford).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Electric kit or hiring a music room will be your solutions, I expect. From what I've experienced, rubber pads don't damped the sound enough to not be annoying for the person next door.
Reply 3
Yeah, I've got a TD-3 I used at home but the sound does travel, particularly the kick through the floor.. Ain't really a way to properly insulate it in halls that I know of..
Original post by Whammoth
Yeah, I've got a TD-3 I used at home but the sound does travel, particularly the kick through the floor.. Ain't really a way to properly insulate it in halls that I know of..

I have an HD-1 and I don't find the sound through the floor to be a problem although the TD3 uses a more traditional foot pedal IIRC correctly so it would make more noise. In a practice situation you could put a couple of layers of carpet underneath or just refrain from the bass drum.
Reply 5
Original post by Manitude
I have an HD-1 and I don't find the sound through the floor to be a problem although the TD3 uses a more traditional foot pedal IIRC correctly so it would make more noise. In a practice situation you could put a couple of layers of carpet underneath or just refrain from the bass drum.

Yeah, TD-3 just uses straight kick pedals. I've got a mapex double so people would not be fans. I've seen some foam stuff I'm gonna try, very like those foam jigsaw matts for kids.
Reply 6
Original post by Whammoth
Howdy
Gonna be in halls, I play drums. Any solutions? Not doing a music subject so won't be allowed in any practice rooms.
Cheers

I have the same problem mate, playing drums but don't study music. I was planning on using the practice rooms... Failing that, maybe buy an electric kit?

Quick Reply

Latest