The Student Room Group

Student finance help

Hey, I think I put this in the wrong topic or something no idea where to place it. Basically I have to apply for student finance by may and I have no idea where to get started and I dont have my own bank account. I am 18 and have received my offers from universities and just waiting to firm and insure them. However I'm not sure where to open my student bank account and like can i? I read at Santander and you have to be in your first year to apply? So i'm not sure. do i just got with barclays xD
Just open a bank account with whatever bank you prefer, once you get your UCAS confirmation letter through take it to your bank and you can then upgrade your current account to a student account to get the perks such as an overdraft. You can always switch banks later if you prefer.

But don't wait for your UCAS letter to come through and to get a student account to open up a bank account, you could be waiting a while and you want to get your SFE application done asap.
Original post by SophieSmall
and you want to get your SFE application done asap.

Can i ask why? Sorry its just i have to fill mine out and everyone says do it quickly, but what is the difference?
Original post by TSRFT8
Can i ask why? Sorry its just i have to fill mine out and everyone says do it quickly, but what is the difference?

student finance are generally just a slow and incompetent country. You don't want to get july/august and still not have your application completed.

But also the "deadline" for getting your student finance "guaranteed" to be paid in time is the end of may. You don't want to be starting uni and not get your student finance on time.
student finance are generally just a slow and incompetent country. You don't want to get july/august and still not have your application completed.

But also the "deadline" for getting your student finance "guaranteed" to be paid in time is the end of may. You don't want to be starting uni and not get your student finance on time.

Ah right i see, so providing i get it done before the end of May i should be fine? Im not lazy its just i have so much revision but i should probably make some time -.-
Reply 5
Just open a regular bank account and register it with student finance, then upgrade it to a student account when you get your UCAS confirmation letter.

The bank account you register with student finance doesn't have to be a student account. The student account is just an account with certain perks that the banks offer you to lure you in as a customer.

The one thing you really don't want to do is leave it late.

I didn't have a bank account at this point last year and didn't have any proof of address, so I had to wait until I got my confirmation letter. Then I went to the bank to set up an account and there was an issue with their system, and I couldn't get an account open until late October. That meant no money until November, and since I didn't have a bank account, my parents had no way of giving me money either. So yeah, make sure you get it sorted asap.
Original post by TSRFT8
Ah right i see, so providing i get it done before the end of May i should be fine? Im not lazy its just i have so much revision but i should probably make some time -.-

I think you only need to have submitted your application by the end of may to be guaranteed payment on time. Whether it is finalised by then I don't think matters.

Honestly doing your part of the student finance application takes very little time at all, it's the parental part of the application that is a ball ache. But your parent/s deal with that bit.
Reply 7
Original post by Sensi
Just open a regular bank account and register it with student finance, then upgrade it to a student account when you get your UCAS confirmation letter.

The bank account you register with student finance doesn't have to be a student account. The student account is just an account with certain perks that the banks offer you to lure you in as a customer.

The one thing you really don't want to do is leave it late.

I didn't have a bank account at this point last year and didn't have any proof of address, so I had to wait until I got my confirmation letter. Then I went to the bank to set up an account and there was an issue with their system, and I couldn't get an account open until late October. That meant no money until November, and since I didn't have a bank account, my parents had no way of giving me money either. So yeah, make sure you get it sorted asap.

Ahh thank you :smile:
Reply 8
Just open a bank account with whatever bank you prefer, once you get your UCAS confirmation letter through take it to your bank and you can then upgrade your current account to a student account to get the perks such as an overdraft. You can always switch banks later if you prefer.

But don't wait for your UCAS letter to come through and to get a student account to open up a bank account, you could be waiting a while and you want to get your SFE application done asap.

Thank you! Also when do you get the UCAS letter? I haven't got mine yet :redface:
Original post by Michaelj99
Thank you! Also when do you get the UCAS letter? I haven't got mine yet :redface:

You won't get your ucas letter til after results day and you have picked your firm choice.
Reply 10
You won't get your ucas letter til after results day and you have picked your firm choice.

ohhh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending