The Student Room Group

What's a better price 10.99 or 9.99 + 0.99 shipping?

What's a better price 10.99 or 9.99 + 1.00 shipping?

What would you prefer to buy out of these?

let's say for selling online.
I woudln't care because they're the same price.
The question in the title isn't the same as the question in the OP :tongue:

In your post, they are both the same price as far as I am concerned.
Reply 3
Original post by ravioliyears
I woudln't care because they're the same price.

Original post by SeanFM
The question in the title isn't the same as the question in the OP :tongue:

In your post, they are both the same price as far as I am concerned.

My mistake! assume 9.99 + 1.00 :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous

Who knows why you needed to go anonymous for this...

I've heard 9.99 + shipping works better than including shipping in the price.

9.99 is better. Some people dont pay attention to / forget about the shipping costs.
He's probably anonymous because the motive behind such a question is whether you can fool people into thinking they are getting a better deal than they are by shifting part of the cost to the postage. Not exactly the most customer friendly practise.

What I can't stand are shops that advertise lower prices than their competitors and then whack a hefty postage fee on when you get to the checkout making the product more expensive than their competitors. It's a good way to ensure I never ever buy anything from them as they just wasted my time but for some people they'll just go along with it.
Reply 7
Original post by Sephiroth
He's probably anonymous because the motive behind such a question is whether you can fool people into thinking they are getting a better deal than they are by shifting part of the cost to the postage. Not exactly the most customer friendly practise.

What I can't stand are shops that advertise lower prices than their competitors and then whack a hefty postage fee on when you get to the checkout making the product more expensive than their competitors. It's a good way to ensure I never ever buy anything from them as they just wasted my time but for some people they'll just go along with it.

it will be £1.00 only! :smile:
I obviously wouldn't prefer either, but my attention would be drawn to 9.99 first
Reply 9
My attention would be drawn to the 'free shipping' which would presumably be advertised alongside the £10.99 option.
it will be £1.00 only! :smile:

True, it's not much. But if I see a postage charge I'll be looking to see if I can buy it elsewhere for the same price with free postage.
Reply 11
As a buyer, it's free shipping FTW.

But as a seller you generally pay selling fees on the product price, but not on the P&P. So your profits will be slightly lower if you increase the product price to "hide" the shipping cost.

So you need to try both approaches (higher product price free shipping, lower price not free shipping) to test if the possibly increased sales volume for the free shipped product offsets the lower unit profit for that specific product.

The market will determine the best approach for you, and might be different for different products.

Always test, and test again.
(edited 8 years ago)
Would 1p really make much of a difference?

10.99. I hate paying for shipping :angry:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending