The Student Room Group

Do you think guns should be legal in the UK after a background check ?

So what do you think ??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CountMonteCristo
So what do you think ??

They already are.
Original post by apronedsamurai
They already are.

No to get a gun you need a licence now. I'm talking about an american style
yes
Reply 4
Nope. There's no need for them in society, so why change?
Reply 5
No. Decent people get firearms, then they are stolen, now less-than-decent people have firearms.
No. We do not need them. The American way leads to too many shootings.
Nope we would have to fundamentally change our society if it was too happen.
Original post by CountMonteCristo
No to get a gun you need a licence now. I'm talking about an american style

Good god no. The American way of dealing with guns is an unmitigated disaster.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
No guns are stupid. /
Yes
Make killing tools ubiquitous. What could possibly go wrong.
If this ever happens, I'm moving to Denmark. Happiest country in the world, dontcha know
Reply 13
Original post by hellodave5
Make killing tools ubiquitous. What could possibly go wrong.

Ban: knives, cars, baseball bat, chairs, hammers, hands, feet, football and rugby boots, men in general, glass, china, ladles, alcohol, any other drugs which can be overdosed on, windows, stairs..
Reply 14
Original post by SleepPerchance
If this ever happens, I'm moving to Denmark. Happiest country in the world, dontcha know

Denmark is the second highest global consumer of antidepressants per capita.
Yes. People who live in cities perhaps don't realise this, but out here in the countryside, if a violent thug breaks into my home and I call the police, it will be half an hour before they arrive due to the simple logistics of getting them here. The thug has plenty of time to kill or seriously injure me and my family, cause serious damage, steal our valuables and get away. Obviously it goes without saying that not all types of gun should become legal and an extensive background and circumstances check should be conducted before the granting of a gun license, together with perhaps an annual mental health assessment by a psychiatrist for all gun licenseholders, to prevent another Dunblane, but it's not fair that I shouldn't be able to defend myself because background and health check laws weren't stringent enough and so some whackjob committed a massacre.
Original post by cranbrook_aspie
Yes. People who live in cities perhaps don't realise this, but out here in the countryside, if a violent thug breaks into my home and I call the police, it will be half an hour before they arrive due to the simple logistics of getting them here. The thug has plenty of time to kill or seriously injure me and my family, cause serious damage, steal our valuables and get away. Obviously it goes without saying that not all types of gun should become legal and an extensive background and circumstances check should be conducted before the granting of a gun license, together with perhaps an annual mental health assessment by a psychiatrist for all gun licenseholders, to prevent another Dunblane, but it's not fair that I shouldn't be able to defend myself because background and health check laws weren't stringent enough and so some whackjob committed a massacre.

I agree that the homeowner should have the right to defend themselves, but this is not the answer. The consequences of more liberal gun control outweigh the benefits to individuals in the aforementioned rare scenario.
Reply 17
Every male member of the household should be conscripted or sent to social services, like in Germany. Then, after those who graduate from the army have a family, they should be required to own and maintain an assault rifle for the defence of their household and community.

Further, defence laws need to be changed so that maiming and killing in self-defence and defence of property are not punishable.

However the UK has the opposite mentality. I think if or when mass civil unrest happens, people will start thinking very differently.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by cranbrook_aspie

If everyone owned a gun, no whackjob would ever succeed in massacring people.
No

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending