The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham vs Lancaster vs Newcastle

Hello guys!

I received offers from Durham (Combined Honours in Social Sciences), Newcastle (Combined Honours) and Lancaster (Management, Politics and International Relations).
I am thinking about firming Durham, but I am not sure. As for the insurance I really have no idea.
Do you have any advices? As I am an European student, unfortunately, I am not able to come and visit the universities.
i am mostly interested in prestige/graduate prospects (for Business and International relations)
International outlook
The friendliness of the place
The type of lifestyle
I would be very happy with a great degree and a welcomimg community that you can easily bond with.
If you cam share your opinions amd maybe some insights of these places I would be more than grateful.

Sorry for the long post :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Sorry, I don't know anything about Lancs or Newcastle. Perhaps try posting in their specific university forums?

Congratulations on getting an offer from Durham! Which college did you get allocated?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Supersaps
Sorry, I don't know anything about Lancs or Newcastle. Perhaps try posting in their specific university forums?

Congratulations on getting an offer from Durham! Which college did you get allocated?

Thank you! I've been allocated to the Castle. Did you apply as well?
Original post by Lalala97
Thank you! I've been allocated to the Castle. Did you apply as well?

Yep! I'm off to study Computer Science in Oct.Congratulations on getting into Castle. I visited and it's absolutely amazing. It's actually...a castle. You're actually going to live in a castle. I bet that will be a fantastic experience.
Reply 4
Original post by Supersaps
Yep! I'm off to study Computer Science in Oct.Congratulations on getting into Castle. I visited and it's absolutely amazing. It's actually...a castle. You're actually going to live in a castle. I bet that will be a fantastic experience.[/

That's so exciting! I didn't expect at all to get a place in the Castle, so I was very surprised when I received my college allocation. Where have you been allocated to?
Hilde Bede, I'm a mature student so I won't actually be living the college and Hilde Bilde has great facilities (gyms etc) which is what I'll be using when I visit the college.

SS
Congratulations on your offer by the way!

I would firm Durham, simply because it has great national reputation and good international reputation so, if you were thinking of staying in the UK after your degree, this will put you in a good position for finding work. Nevertheless, Newcastle and Lancaster are also good Uni's that are slightly less reputable than Durham.

In terms of lifestyle and the overall friendliness of the place it is a beautiful traditional city that is not far from Newcastle in case you wanted a better nightlife or get bored with Durham city. I personally like it, it's quiet, but you can distract yourself easily by taking a train up to Newcastle, which is cheap and doesn't take much time.
Durham
Reply 8
Original post by Parasite
Congratulations on your offer by the way!

I would firm Durham, simply because it has great national reputation and good international reputation so, if you were thinking of staying in the UK after your degree, this will put you in a good position for finding work. Nevertheless, Newcastle and Lancaster are also good Uni's that are slightly less reputable than Durham.

In terms of lifestyle and the overall friendliness of the place it is a beautiful traditional city that is not far from Newcastle in case you wanted a better nightlife or get bored with Durham city. I personally like it, it's quiet, but you can distract yourself easily by taking a train up to Newcastle, which is cheap and doesn't take much time.

Thanks a lot for your reply! :smile: I think that I will firm Durham as the place seems lovely and the university has a higher reputation. Do you know anything about Lancaster and Newcastle? I really don't know which one to make my insurance. Lancaster seems to have a stronger community, but many people call it boring. Academically, I am not sure which one is better.
Thanks a lot for your reply! :smile: I think that I will firm Durham as the place seems lovely and the university has a higher reputation. Do you know anything about Lancaster and Newcastle? I really don't know which one to make my insurance. Lancaster seems to have a stronger community, but many people call it boring. Academically, I am not sure which one is better.

No worries, always glad to help ! :biggrin: Here is how I would rank all three universities:

1st Durham
2nd Newcastle
3rd Lancaster

Newcastle is located in such a big, friendly vibrant city (definitely better than Durham in terms of nightlife, city, finding a job, however both cities are very close to one another so going to either universities won't make much difference). Lancaster is located in a nice city, there is always something to do there. Here are pictures of both cities:

Lancaster: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lancaster+town+pictures&biw=1280&bih=642&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjZ2ruGxs3LAhXHiRoKHdj7B58Q_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=lancaster+city+pictures
Newcastle: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lancaster+town+pictures&biw=1280&bih=642&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjZ2ruGxs3LAhXHiRoKHdj7B58Q_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=newcastle+city+pictures

Academically speaking Lancaster does rank higher than Newcastle (9th) in both the Social Sciences and as a university on a whole, however Lancaster has only just recently topped the league tables and can easily lose ranks. Newcastle is a respected university and is consistent in the league tables. It is better regarded, on a whole, by employers and students a like despite being ranked 20th. Newcastle is a Russell group (select group of elite research universities)whereas Lancaster is not, which does not mean it is a bad universities. However, for the course you are doing it would be in your interest to attend a Russell group especially for future graduate prospects. Durham is also Russel group!

Overall I didn't actually like Lancaster during the open day so I would definitely pick Newcastle instead. Despite all of this you may like Lancaster, which is why I've posted some virtual tours of both universities below for you to look at! :smile:

Lancaster: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPJJxxMdsv
Newcastle: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/tour/

Feel free to ask any additional questions :biggrin: Where are you from just for curiosities sake? Thanks for the rep by the way!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
No worries, always glad to help ! :biggrin: Here is how I would rank all three universities:

1st Durham
2nd Newcastle
3rd Lancaster

Newcastle is located in such a big, friendly vibrant city (definitely better than Durham in terms of nightlife, city, finding a job, however both cities are very close to one another so going to either universities won't make much difference). Lancaster is located in a nice city, there is always something to do there. Here are pictures of both cities:

Lancaster: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lancaster+town+pictures&biw=1280&bih=642&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjZ2ruGxs3LAhXHiRoKHdj7B58Q_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=lancaster+city+pictures
Newcastle: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lancaster+town+pictures&biw=1280&bih=642&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjZ2ruGxs3LAhXHiRoKHdj7B58Q_AUIBigB#tbm=isch&q=newcastle+city+pictures

Academically speaking Lancaster does rank higher than Newcastle (9th) in both the Social Sciences and as a university on a whole, however Lancaster has only just recently topped the league tables and can easily lose ranks. Newcastle is a respected university and is consistent in the league tables. It is better regarded, on a whole, by employers and students a like despite being ranked 20th. Newcastle is a Russell group (select group of elite research universities)whereas Lancaster is not, which does not mean it is a bad universities. However, for the course you are doing it would be in your interest to attend a Russell group especially for future graduate prospects. Durham is also Russel group!

Overall I didn't actually like Lancaster during the open day so I would definitely pick Newcastle instead. Despite all of this you may like Lancaster, which is why I've posted some virtual tours of both universities below for you to look at! :smile:

Lancaster: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPJJxxMdsv
Newcastle: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/tour/

Feel free to ask any additional questions :biggrin: Where are you from just for curiosities sake? Thanks for the rep by the way!

Many thanks for yor detailed response! :biggrin: You've been really helpful. I'm from Romania :smile: I was just a little bit worried that Newcastle wouldn't have a close student community and the students would be spread around the city. I was also not sure why people regard more Newcastle than Lancaster when Lancaster is marked higher in the rankings, but now it makes sense.
This might sound silly, but I'm not familliar with the Russel Group thing and I assumed that it's something to look at if you study Sciences (for instance Biochemistry) Is it an important factor to consider even though I study Business and Politics with an additional language maybe? :smile:
Many thanks for yor detailed response! :biggrin: You've been really helpful. I'm from Romania :smile: I was just a little bit worried that Newcastle wouldn't have a close student community and the students would be spread around the city. I was also not sure why people regard more Newcastle than Lancaster when Lancaster is marked higher in the rankings, but now it makes sense.
This might sound silly, but I'm not familliar with the Russel Group thing and I assumed that it's something to look at if you study Sciences (for instance Biochemistry) Is it an important factor to consider even though I study Business and Politics with an additional language maybe? :smile:

Russell groups, generally, have better international and national reputation. It is a factor to consider when applying to any course for good gradate prospects. Lancaster is a great university on a whole, but I personally prefer Newcastle. League tables constantly change so the only way to ensure a university maintains consistent reputation is through belonging to the Russell Group brand.
Reply 12
Russell groups, generally, have better international and national reputation. It is a factor to consider when applying to any course for good gradate prospects. Lancaster is a great university on a whole, but I personally prefer Newcastle. League tables constantly change so the only way to ensure a university maintains consistent reputation is through belonging to the Russell Group brand.

Ok, thanks for clarying that! I forgot to ask you, where are you from? :smile:
Ok, thanks for clarying that! I forgot to ask you, where are you from? :smile:

That's alright. I hope you enjoy your uni experience here in the UK whatever your choice! I'm originally from France, but moved to the UK! :biggrin:
Reply 14
That's alright. I hope you enjoy your uni experience here in the UK whatever your choice! I'm originally from France, but moved to the UK! :biggrin:

Thank you! I wish you to enjoy your experience as well! I guess you are already at uni :biggrin:
Thank you! I wish you to enjoy your experience as well! I guess you are already at uni :biggrin:

aha no actually I will be applying this year xD
Reply 16
aha no actually I will be applying this year xD

I wish you luck then :biggrin: Which are your choices?
I wish you luck then :biggrin: Which are your choices?

I'm applying for the university of:

Bath: Psychology with Placement
Durham: Psychology and Anthropology
Exeter: Psychology and Anthropology with Japanese
Bristol: MSci Psychology with Innovation
Birmingham: MSci Psychology with Psychological Practice

Hopefully I get into at least one of these!!! :P
Reply 18
I'm applying for the university of:

Bath: Psychology with Placement
Durham: Psychology and Anthropology
Exeter: Psychology and Anthropology with Japanese
Bristol: MSci Psychology with Innovation
Birmingham: MSci Psychology with Psychological Practice

Hopefully I get into at least one of these!!! :P

Good luck again :biggrin: Have you received offers already?
Good luck again :biggrin: Have you received offers already?

No not yet as I will be applying to university in September 2016 for entry in 2017. I am taking a gap year

Quick Reply

Latest