The Student Room Group

The first self-made female millionaire and billionaire in the US were both black,why?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
This sounds very ridiculous and privileged but racism can drive some people to achieve, some people respond to it by going out there and making a name for themselves, others cry about the injustice (rightfully). It's like when that fat kid gets bullied and then goes to the gym. Or the gay kid is bullied so he just devotes his time to studying. There's a lot of lazy white people out there who have no motivation to do anythng, nothing to prove to anyone, but a black girl born in poverty? You can bet she wants to get one up on the white middle age rich men who have made her feel like crap.
Original post by Reformed
racism but also accepted culture . america is a good example of this, where there are more millionaire black rappers than there are millionnaire black CEOs

Of course - Whites have always been willing to let black people entertain them, even at the height of segregation. The question is, how have you felt about blacks being your bankers, doctors, bosses, colleagues ?

So of course there are going more millionaire black rappers than there are millionaire black CEOs, not to mention the fact that hip-hop industry is also run by white people.
Original post by sunni money
"no, I'm the bigger victim"

brb enjoying my white privilege :smug:

How dare you :frown: I'm a working class disabled black transgendered Muslim woman :cry2:
Original post by wallah abdi
How dare you :frown: I'm a working class disabled black transgendered Muslim woman :cry2:

the number of quotas you fill, damn, job offers raining down on ur oppressed soul :bhangra:
Original post by Feel Tha Bern
What's wrong with being a rapper?

It's a perfectly legitimate career choice.

didnt say it wasnt - its just become culturally promoted for a black person to aspire to a compartmentalised categories of rapper /basketball player / gangster

as oppossed to supreme court judge, CEO, nobel prize winning scientist etc etc
i would find that quite condescending
Original post by Prince_Paul_246
Of course - Whites have always been willing to let black people entertain them, even at the height of segregation. The question is, how have you felt about blacks being your bankers, doctors, bosses, colleagues ?

So of course there are going more millionaire black rappers than there are millionaire black CEOs, not to mention the fact that hip-hop industry is also run by white people.

i personally have felt fin about the, my point was i see very few comparatively. when the media seems to insist black males should only aspire to be rappers or gangsters - and then that almost becomes a self-fullfilling . and before you tell me, yes i know the media is run by white people too.
Madam CJ Walker (which is what Sarah was most commonly known as) made her millions because she was one of the first people to see the demand for Afro-Caribbean hair products. There weren't many products out there in the 1900s for those with Afro-Caribbean hair, and it was easy for her to make money in this business as a black woman, because her target market were black people, not white people. She had a lot of contacts since her husband worked in newspaper advertisement and helped her with marketing her business to the black community.
There's also stories that she invented the first hot rods (first heat styling tool for permanent hair waving/straightening) but it was actually Marcel Grateau in the late 1800s. She did make a big impact on the Afro-Caribbean hair industry though, and it's argued sometimes that the first female millionaire in the US was actually the woman she worked for before starting up her business (Annie Malone), where she first started to learn about hair-care.
Original post by PrincessZara
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/4/27/1380610/-Black-men-w-no-criminal-record-applying-for-jobs-treated-same-as-white-men-fresh-out-of-prison

- You just seem butthurt. It's obvious it's harder for a black man to get a job regardless the fact he has the same grades as the white man.

- Same with Muslims, If you have a muslim name you are less likely to get a job.

So shut up.

Care to provide evidence of this "Global System" you all seem to be ranting about? Don't get me wrong it might be true, but it most likely is just another conspiracy theory put by those who couldn't achieve well in order to justify their failure.
Reply 48
Yo guys why did you turn my thread into a racial cluster****?!

The question was how was this possible when white, highly educated, born into wealth women are still struggling to ''get to the top'' in 2016 when black women born in wooden shacks in a world where they lacked the most basic rights could?
i personally have felt fin about the, my point was i see very few comparatively. when the media seems to insist black males should only aspire to be rappers or gangsters - and then that almost becomes a self-fullfilling . and before you tell me, yes i know the media is run by white people too.

Nope. We live in a system of racism / white supremacy. Hell, very, very few whites are allowed to be CEO'S. So your point about pointing the lack of black CEO's is beyond me.

Also being rapper is not the industry in which most people find themselves.

Plus when it comes athletic ability, or musical talent, or any kind of performing art, you either have it, or you don’t.

You either can run the 100 metres in under 10 seconds or you can't. You either can score goals or hit a three-pointer, carry a tune, make you laugh or you can't

It's not nearly as subjective, as judging whether this person “fit in” with the company? Do they have “enough” experience ? Will they make a good CEO ? Will they be able to relate to the customer base?

All of these evaluations are judgement calls
Nope. We live in a system of racism / white supremacy. Hell, very, very few whites are allowed to be CEO'S. So your point about pointing the lack of black CEO's is beyond me.

Also being rapper is not the industry in which most people find themselves.

Plus when it comes athletic ability, or musical talent, or any kind of performing art, you either have it, or you don’t.

You either can run the 100 metres in under 10 seconds or you can't. You either can score goals or hit a three-pointer, carry a tune, make you laugh or you can't

It's not nearly as subjective, as judging whether this person “fit in” with the company? Do they have “enough” experience ? Will they make a good CEO ? Will they be able to relate to the customer base?

All of these evaluations are judgement calls
possibly but they are based on the observable attributes of the person - ie in your example their business acumen, speed of thought, lateral thinking, confidence under pressure, and indeed likeability, charm and ability to command attention - much of which can be developed in your formative.career path. and thats forgetting for a second an impressive background adademic record.
but then if you are told 'just be a rapper, its cool' there is no incentive to develop any of the above to the astronomic level that youd need to demonstrate at board level
possibly but they are based on the observable attributes of the person - ie in your example their business acumen, speed of thought, lateral thinking, confidence under pressure, and indeed likeability, charm and ability to command attention - much of which can be developed in your formative.career path. and thats forgetting for a second an impressive background adademic record.
but then if you are told 'just be a rapper, its cool' there is no incentive to develop any of the above to the astronomic level that youd need to demonstrate at board level

Right. So now we are getting to it.

So what you saying is that white people have more "business acumen, speed of thought, lateral thinking, confidence under pressure, and indeed likeability, charm and ability to command attention" than black people ? "

Am I reading you correct there ?
It does not boggle my mind!
Right. So now we are getting to it.

So what you saying is that white people have more "business acumen, speed of thought, lateral thinking, confidence under pressure, and indeed likeability, charm and ability to command attention" than black people ? "

Am I reading you correct there ?

nope, im saying black people are not encouraged to develop the above 'business qualities' in the same way as white people are. as i said before its safe to say that black kids are directed to what they are told are 'cool' lines of work like music or sport - which in reality offer a tiny scope of opportunity to actually succeed in for 99% of applicants who end up nowhere, compared to the much wider more stable profitable career paths in business, finance, law, medicine etc etc

your contention seems to be that black ppl are under-represented in these fields, due to racism - that maybe in part true, but why ignore all the factors, the reality is many black kids dont want to aim for those goals, theyd much rather
be the next 50 Cent than Bill Gates
Original post by Daquan
I am talking about Sarah Breedlove and Oprah. The former was literally born into the first black generation of post-slavery America. They were not only black, but also female and born in extreme poverty. Add to that the fact that the number of white women in the US was also far higher. Boggles the mind , doesn't it?

Their race has not to do with it, their qualities do however. Oprah and Madam C.J. Walker both grew up in houses where control ruled over freedom, that lead to them having qualities like hard-working, quick thinking and being able to stand up on their own two feet. That's one of the main reasons why you see more up and coming self made millionaires in China than any other countries in the world.

Control is a vital part of us that is needed to see to through all the bs and get straight to the money.
nope, im saying black people are not encouraged to develop the above 'business qualities' in the same way as white people are. as i said before its safe to say that black kids are directed to what they are told are 'cool' lines of work like music or sport - which in reality offer a tiny scope of opportunity to actually succeed in for 99% of applicants who end up nowhere, compared to the much wider more stable profitable career paths in business, finance, law, medicine etc etc

your contention seems to be that black ppl are under-represented in these fields, due to racism - that maybe in part true, but why ignore all the factors, the reality is many black kids dont want to aim for those goals, theyd much rather
be the next 50 Cent than Bill Gates

So what you saying is that black people want to be poor and do not want to succeed ?

Secondly - Explain to me how black people can become CEO'S
So what you saying is that black people want to be poor and do not want to succeed ?

no i imagine they want to be rich rappers. if this is held up as the pinnacle of achievement to a black kid, what other reality would you expect?

Secondly - Explain to me how black people can become CEO'S

they would have to follow the same lengthy process as everyone else. however my concern is many black ppl decide early on this is not for them
There were many wealthy Black slave breeders and plantation owners in America. Not all Black people during that time were poor but obviously most were. It was the same in North-Africa and the Arab slave trade. I don't think anyone is completely self made, they must have had some help along the way.
(edited 8 years ago)
no i imagine they want to be rich rappers. if this is held up as the pinnacle of achievement to a black kid, what other reality would you expect?

You 'imagine"

.OK. Why do you imagine ?

they would have to follow the same lengthy process as everyone else. however my concern is many black ppl decide early on this is not for them

So what your saying is that if black people went to school, got a degree, what you saying is that white people would be perfectly fine with having lots of black people as captains of industry and major CEO's ?

That's what your saying. Right ?
You 'imagine"

.OK. Why do you imagine ?

So what your saying is that if black people went to school, got a degree, what you saying is that white people would be perfectly fine with having lots of black people as captains of industry and major CEO's ?

That's what your saying. Right ?

yes, with the caveat i already mentioned that there still is a preserve at the top echelons that will recruit white males over and above, not just black but asian, oriental and female board members.

but you seem to be suggesting that black people shouldnt bother trying to excel academically because of barriers, and instead simply be happy with 'natural talent' as you put it to 'sing dance and play sport'. again suggesting that this has became an acceptable attitude within black society? hardly going to improve the situation is it.
you can compare for example the attitude within uks chinese/japanese/korean community, whoose culture is to strive academically regardless of any racism barriers that may be raised in front of them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending