The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lúcio
The Spurs result wasn't correct though because they clearly weren't bothered and were resigned to going out even before the first leg began.

I still expect Dortmund to win but I wouldn't use the Spurs tie as an example at all.

Totally agree
Original post by Zerforax
I still think Dortmund will take confidence from battering an English team so easily.

Agree with this. I think everything is geared up for them to win it this year.

Mind you, I thought the same about Napoli last year and look what happened there.
Firmino injured apparently. Removed from Brazil squad.
Reply 5623
I still think Dortmund will take confidence from battering an English team so easily.

Original post by Mackay
Agree with this. I think everything is geared up for them to win it this year.

Mind you, I thought the same about Napoli last year and look what happened there.

Really? They played Tottenham's reserves, pretty irrelevant...

Original post by mr tim

ah what a shame, I thought this weekend was going to be the first time this season that we would play our strongest 11 (bringing Flanagan in for Milner). It wasn't to be I suppose.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mr tim

Not actually that worried, when we thumped Soton in December he didn't feature - I expect Klopp to go with the same XI tomorrow.
Apparently he has some bruising, that's why he withdrew from the Brazil squad. Hopefully, he's back soon.
Original post by mr tim

He's in my FPL team :frown:

Nothing long term I hope? At least he won't be playing international games I guess.
Be interesting to see if Sturridge starts or if we're still managing him.
It hasn't been mentioned on here but the draw between Chelsea and West Ham was a fantastic result for us. It keeps Chelsea behind us whilst giving us opportunity to catch West Ham.

As things stand, if we win our games in hand, we'd actually be level with both United and West Ham. Obviously the hope is to get a EL place but that's also a huge boost for top 4 if City keep struggling.

That being said, it's important to remember that games in hand mean nothing if you don't do something about it and get the points on the board.
(edited 8 years ago)
Firmino has played a lot of games without much rotation so not suprised his hammy gave out (more suprised on how he has lasted this long). But we should be able to get a result at Soton without him.
Original post by Lúcio
It hasn't been mentioned on here but the draw between Chelsea and West Ham was a fantastic result for us. It keeps Chelsea behind us whilst giving us opportunity to catch West Ham.

As things stand, if we win our games in hand, we'd actually be level with both United and West Ham. Obviously the hope is to get a EL place but that's also a huge boost for top 4 if City keep struggling.

That being said, it's important to remember that games in hand mean nothing if you don't do something about it and get the points on the board.

Hadn't thought about WH/Chelsea but you're right. Main thing will be for us to win tomorrow but results around us always help. Would be the perfect weekend if we win and then Man Utd/City draw..

Anything about how serious it is? At least the international break means he doesn't miss as much.

Original post by samir12
Firmino has played a lot of games without much rotation so not suprised his hammy gave out (more suprised on how he has lasted this long). But we should be able to get a result at Soton without him.

Was a nice gap since the last hamstring injury. Most of the squad is back from injury now so hopefully we we can do without him. Only concern is that he's been our form player for goals/assists.
Hadn't thought about WH/Chelsea but you're right. Main thing will be for us to win tomorrow but results around us always help. Would be the perfect weekend if we win and then Man Utd/City draw...

Precisely. As I said, games in hand are only potential points, nothing is certain. Stoke are ahead of us in the league but we have 3 games in hand, however we could lose all of those games and thus stay behind them.

To be honest, the Manchester derby works for us regardless:

A United win opens up the race for top 4, giving us a huge reason to win our games in hand.
A City win gives us a big opportunity to grab a EL place ahead of United.
A draw contributes to both possibilities.
No point overanalysing other teams, we just need to get the job done tomorrow!!

Personally I'm not convinced we'd be able to come 4th this season, just a little too late. I'll be content with a Europa league place for now. I honestly can't wait for the summer transfer window, hopefully Klopp can bring in a few decent signings. I'm sick to death how a lot of our signings have been crap/not suited to the team. No more bargain buys, a big signing would be a fab to show our intent to the other top teams.
Original post by The.Joker

Personally I'm not convinced we'd be able to come 4th this season, just a little too late. I'll be content with a Europa league place for now. I honestly can't wait for the summer transfer window, hopefully Klopp can bring in a few decent signings. I'm sick to death how a lot of our signings have been crap/not suited to the team. No more bargain buys, a big signing would be a fab to show our intent to the other top teams.

Ok sorry mum :frown:

Nah I don't think we'll realistically make top 4 either but why not have a little faith? We aren't miles behind and if City slip up again, we have an outside chance :smile:

I think with how well Klopp has done without spending a penny, it will be so exciting to see what he does with 100m
Lol @ Pardew.

Spoiler

Original post by The.Joker

Yea me and luke just have too much time on our hands.

I'm just dreaming a bit too much lately :colondollar:

I think Klopp will make a huge thing about signing player who fit the system and he can work with. We haven't had a coherent transfer policy/system since Rafa Benitez (and his last year was a bit of a mess).
Original post by Mackay
Lol @ Pardew.

Spoiler

Excuses everywhere

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Angry cucumber
Excuses everywhere

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even worse given how soft their penalty at Reading was.
Flanagan captain.

Latest