The Student Room Group

Really need advice! Dropping subject but only do 3 A-levels!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Nadine_08
Yes, only if I drop English and do Arabic instead

Definitely do Arabic as the website for Southampton says it is not exempt only Critical Thinking and General Studies are not included.
Original post by Thomb
OP does psychology and economics and is doing really well at them. Southampton also accept economics asa relevant subject and might even be offered a place with ABB.

Yes, I scrolled back quickly and couldn't spot the relevant post. It's been a long day...
Reply 42
Original post by Thomb
Definitely do Arabic as the website for Southampton says it is not exempt only Critical Thinking and General Studies are not included.

I've emailed them about this and just waiting for their response now. Hoping it's all going to be fine.
Reply 43
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Yes, I scrolled back quickly and couldn't spot the relevant post. It's been a long day...

I think Nadine should take up Arabic and carry on with English Litt, what can be the harm in that?
Reply 44
I've emailed them about this and just waiting for their response now. Hoping it's all going to be fine.

I wouldn't expect a reply before Monday.
Is there not another subject you feel you could self study and do quite well in? Something like religious studies, which I personally feel is quite easy to pick up by yourself armed with a revision guide, syllabus and some past papers. That way you wouldn't have to worry about whether Arabic will be accepted by the universities, and religious studies involves a lot less reading than English literature (as well as less involved essays, at least in my opinion).
Reply 46
Thank you for your help guys :smile:
Original post by Thomb
I think Nadine should take up Arabic and carry on with English Litt, what can be the harm in that?

I've already said my piece at length above, but in an ideal world she would do all of them.
You could drop Eng lit, do arabic A Level and then pick up another AS level in year 13. Or you could do an A level course online. I hate english lit too! lol
I am in year 12 doing my first year of A-levels. I really hate doing English Literature A-level and I want to drop it but I can't because I only do 2 other A-levels. I really really just wish I can get rid of it but I can'tttt and it's so depressing. I'm sure I'm not going to get a good grade in it and it just really depresses me and I can't deal with the amount of essays.

I really don't know what to do as I have already spoken to my school about dropping it a while ago but they didn't let me.

The replacement subject would be Arabic A-level. Arabic is my second language and I have looked at the past paper questions and they look good. I would take the exams at another venue.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you.

I failed biology last year alongside my whole class so I had no choice but to drop it (I hated it anyway as I asked to drop at beginning of year but they wouldn't allow me). So I picked up another this year and I only have 2 and a half a levels but it hasn't put me at a disadvantage at all as I have 4 offers for university (still waiting for the fifth). As long as you do really good in your other a levels you'll be fine, plus if u pass as English lit that would still be worth UCAS points. If you don't have enough UCAS points after yr13 you can always ask about year 14 or finish of your a levels in college.
u could redo the two years at a different college and pick different subjects if u don't want to pick english?
Reply 51
Original post by mscaffrey
Is there not another subject you feel you could self study and do quite well in? Something like religious studies, which I personally feel is quite easy to pick up by yourself armed with a revision guide, syllabus and some past papers. That way you wouldn't have to worry about whether Arabic will be accepted by the universities, and religious studies involves a lot less reading than English literature (as well as less involved essays, at least in my opinion).

Yes a while ago I was actually going to do exactly what you just said- self study religious studies, but the thing is I would have to stay with English- I won't be allowed to have only 2. I spoke to my school about this already and they said no and that there's a reason for coming to school and no point trying to self teach by myself. The teacher was also saying that I might fail that A-level that I try to self-teach and that if that happened I wouldn't be allowed to stay in the school with only 2 A-levels. So basically he didn't give me a chance to go ahead with my plan at all and now I'm stuck in English.
Reply 52
Original post by Jordannnlouisee
I failed biology last year alongside my whole class so I had no choice but to drop it (I hated it anyway as I asked to drop at beginning of year but they wouldn't allow me). So I picked up another this year and I only have 2 and a half a levels but it hasn't put me at a disadvantage at all as I have 4 offers for university (still waiting for the fifth). As long as you do really good in your other a levels you'll be fine, plus if u pass as English lit that would still be worth UCAS points. If you don't have enough UCAS points after yr13 you can always ask about year 14 or finish of your a levels in college.

How did you still get offers with only 2 and a half A-levels?
Reply 53
Original post by idontknowmedoyou
u could redo the two years at a different college and pick different subjects if u don't want to pick english?

But I don't want to go to university really late
But I don't want to go to university really late

its a year late? some people don't go uni till their in their 20's or 30's...
Reply 55
Original post by idontknowmedoyou
its a year late? some people don't go uni till their in their 20's or 30's...

I know but I would prefer not having any delays, although if I have no choice then I guess I would have to do that
How did you still get offers with only 2 and a half A-levels?

Most universities go by UCAS points which is usually 280 equivalent to a grade CCB in 3 full alevels. Even though I'm only going to have 2 full a levels and an AS they're all still worth UCAS points, and if I do good in all of them I can still get 280 UCAS points equivalent to a CCB. I thought last year that I wouldn't get any offers because I do less a levels, but turns out I was worrying over nothing. I just have to make sure I get AB in my other 2 alevels and at least a C or above in my AS to get enough points.
(edited 8 years ago)
You can also apply for a foundation degree as a back up (although it depends on the university and the course).
Reply 58
Hey there, I have a friend who was in a similar situation to yours. He wanted to drop physics and use his grade in French A-level instead of physics as his 3rd A level. However most sixth forms won't allow you to continue your study with only two A levels, so he is going to be entered for the Physics exams anyway but just won't study for them or even bother in the exams, as he doesn't need the grade. What I recommend is sitting the English Lit exams but just not studying for them, do the homework half-assed and just spend as little time as possible on the subject so you can focus on Arabic - which you believe you can get a better grade in. I highly doubt your sixth form will expel you for performing poorly in a subject; people get E's and U's all the time.

Don't listen to those saying that you'll have a hard time applying to unis. It's BS. He got 4 offers with average AS grades (B's and C's) and has an offer to study Chemical Engineering at Nottingham. Most universities will accept a language. You may have to call or send them an email if they do not understand your situation at first though - then they should be happy to accept Arabic as a 3rd A level....

...so my recommendation is to take up Arabic. Spend as little time as possible on English until it's at the point where they can actually take disciplinary action against you, and don't worry about unis accepting it or not.

I hope things work out!
Best of luck.
Reply 59
Original post by Jordannnlouisee
Most universities go by UCAS points which is usually 280 equivalent to a grade CCB in 3 full alevels. Even though I'm only going to have 2 full a levels and an AS they're all still worth UCAS points, and if I do good in all of them I can still get 280 UCAS points equivalent to a CCB. I thought last year that I wouldn't get any offers because I do less a levels, but turns out I was worrying over nothing. I just have to make sure I get AB in my other 2 alevels and at least a C or above in my AS to get enough points.

Oh okay, that's reassuring, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest